Sexism within video games and the industry

Started by Legend, Nov 01, 2014, 04:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Let's talk about it.

Use this thread as a sort of general discussion. Still feel free to make new topics if you have new news/opinions that are big enough to deserve their own threads.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Personally i think it's all battleship. I've gotten lost in the whole gamer gate. Anyone want to get me TLDR version?

Legend

Personally i think it's all battleship. I've gotten lost in the whole gamer gate. Anyone want to get me TLDR version?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/gamergate

darkknightkryta

What's there to talk about Tachikoma did a bang up job in a rant of hers.

BasilZero

What's there to talk about Tachikoma did a bang up job in a rant of hers.

Who? No idea who that is, dont care as well.

Anyways, @OT - I think its pretty battleship and its just a bunch of shills trying to get their e-fame.

P.S. Why do we still have pumpkins as avatars o.O? Halloweenie is over :3

Riderz1337

Why can't we just play games and enjoy them.

Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

NeverDies

The vast majority, including myself agree with you.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

BasilZero

darkknightkryta

Who? No idea who that is, dont care as well.

Anyways, @OT - I think its pretty battleship and its just a bunch of shills trying to get their e-fame.

P.S. Why do we still have pumpkins as avatars o.O? Halloweenie is over :3

She posts on VGC.

BasilZero

She posts on VGC.

Oh, still dont know who that is - and now that you mention its VGC related - my give a dang meter is in the negative :P.

darkknightkryta

Oh, still dont know who that is - and now that you mention its VGC related - my give a dang meter is in the negative :P.

I know.  She just made a good point that all these women are stupid.

Legend

Because we are core gamers, not just casuals.

I mean we debate absolutely every little aspect of games and the industry. Why should this be any different?

Xevross

Because we are core gamers, not just casuals.

I mean we debate absolutely every little aspect of games and the industry. Why should this be any different?

Good point, which means I have to join the debate:

I don't care, really. As long as a dev doesn't deliberately be sexist I don't give two nuggets about gender equality, a dev should do what fits the game and the story

Raven

Sexual objectification exists in the world. It is an idea. It will always be. You will never stop it because humans are social creatures with a strong desire for naughtiness even beyond purposes of reproduction. Grand Theft Auto is the kind of game that is created to give us a type of recreation of America's crime world. A world that doesn't abide by societal norms and rules. It would be nowhere near accurate to present such a world to the consumer that doesn't include objectified women. Sexual objectification of women is also used as a plot point in games or placed there because the reality is that in certain scenarios the women would indeed be treated that way. In some games it's even used as a driving force for you to despise a character in the game. There are also women in the world who enjoy being looked at as an object of a man's sexual desires despite what the Feminazis want you to believe. In regards to women needing the help of men, the reality is, once again, that many women would indeed be near helpless in certain scenarios. Not because they're women. Rather, because of their upbringing or events in their life that made them that way. There is a rather large list of strong female characters who have proven to not need saving, have acted as both the protagonist and antagonist, and weren't sexualized. The real problem here is that the Feminazis want ALL women to be portrayed as strong, in need of no man, and completely sexually reserved. Reality is completely different from this. Many women are indeed weak, need SOMEONE to save them, and are not sexually reserved. At least nowhere near as much as they'd want them to be. See, Feminazis talk about the social freedoms that women deserve while attempting to mold them into one ideal image. Eliminating their social freedom. Which is pretty much what they claim all men do.

7H3

I read an excellent article on gamer gate recently posted on Forbes which was a very good piece of writing! I also watched Event Status's youtube vid on these issues, and I'd say I lean more towards the side of gamer gate than anti game gate. However, for me, and I believe most pro#gate people its about better standards in journalism rather than specific issues regarding sexism as some shills try to make it seem like it is about with a anti#gate stance. I know there is one very popular lady who is a proponent of anti sexism in gaming who is a complete shill just trying to gain fame and is actually the mouth piece for a guy who is behind the whole thing...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend