[color=red]Email Test[/color]

Started by Legend, Aug 15, 2014, 04:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

manbearspurge

Email received. It went to my regular email.  Why is received spelled with the e in front of the i?

Legend

Email received. It went to my regular email.  Why is received spelled with the e in front of the i?

I before E, except after C.

Xevross

I before E, except after C.

That rule is bull, it has so many exceptions. They don't teach it any more in schools ::)

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

ancient
weird
species
sleigh

*and many more*

Dr. Pezus

Good point. The spelling of english words often seems quite arbitrary to me.

mustacheman

Got mine. Was in spam folder as well.

Raven

Good point. The spelling of english words often seems quite arbitrary to me.

Yeah. There are some words that I can't even understand why they are spelled certain ways. Why isn't 'though' just simply spelled 'tho'? Seems to me like the last three letters are completely unnecessary. It would be one thing if there was another word spelled 'tho' that meant something different in the English language but there isn't as far as I know. We also pronounce words that are completely unlike their spelling sometimes. Like 'colonel' isn't spoken as "kollohnell" but "kurnull".

Xevross

Yeah. There are some words that I can't even understand why they are spelled certain ways. Why isn't 'though' just simply spelled 'tho'? Seems to me like the last three letters are completely unnecessary. It would be one thing if there was another word spelled 'tho' that meant something different in the English language but there isn't as far as I know. We also pronounce words that are completely unlike their spelling sometimes. Like 'colonel' isn't spoken as "kollohnell" but "kurnull".

It stems from how we used to speak. Our words were very posh and pronounced correctly but as time has gone on we've become more lazy.
Also, that i before e rule thing actually has more words that don't follow it than words that do.

Dr. Pezus

Haha yeah I was really surprised when I heard the word "colonel" spoken for the first time. Like, WTH! It's not even close.

Xevross

Haha yeah I was really surprised when I heard the word "colonel" spoken for the first time. Like, WTH! It's not even close.

Have you heard a British person say Lieutenant?

Xevross

Laughter and daughter is a funny example of weird English pronunciation as well. Its way too inconsistent

Raven

Have you heard a British person say Lieutenant?

Leftenant

Xevross

Leftenant

Indeed, I have great sympathy for those learning to speak English. It must be very confusing as there's no rules to learn that can cover the different pronunciations.

Go Up