Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Oh I also finally saw Solo.

It tried to be good and I liked some things about it but it really lacked polish imo. A lot of the elements just didn't fit together as good as they should have. Robot was great.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Felt very rogue one like at first with everyone dying, but then in the end I was very surprised it was setup so strongly to have a sequel. Also Darth Maul is back!!! His CGI was horrible and it was handled in probably the dorkiest way possible (they really wanted to hit people over the head with reminding people who he was) but he was my second favorite prequel character.

Its a good fun film, nothing special. Worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan, sure, but if you're not then meh.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Yeah they definitely set it up to have a sequel, probably focusing on Qira and Maul but I guess we're never getting that. Darth Maul cameo was awesome, but it was done really badly like you said.

Xevross

Incredibles 2 is going to settle at #9 all time domestic, TLJ is too far out of reach. That's great though, looks like it will have broken the animated film record by around $100m by the time its done. Worldwide is hard to judge with so many countries yet to launch still, but Frozen's $1.27b animated record may be within reach.

Speaking of Frozen, holy shame did that film do well in Japan. Like its only a smidgeon below Titanic for #2 imported film of all time. It made a total of $249m in Japan, which is by far its biggest overseas market. I wonder why it was so popular. Maybe its that kind of animated musical film they love... but Moana only made $45m there so surely it can't be that. Weird.

the-pi-guy

Speaking of Frozen, holy shame did that film do well in Japan. Like its only a smidgeon below Titanic for #2 imported film of all time. It made a total of $249m in Japan, which is by far its biggest overseas market. I wonder why it was so popular. Maybe its that kind of animated musical film they love... but Moana only made $45m there so surely it can't be that. Weird.
I found this article
Why 'Frozen' Was Huge in Japan | Hollywood Reporter

One factor that helped contribute to the success of Frozen was the local voice and song casting. Anna and Elsa were voiced by Sayaka Kanda and Takako Matsu, two singers and actresses whose performances received almost universal acclaim. Two postings of Matsu's Japanese version of Let It Go have more than 95 million hits on Youtube, and the song has been heard everywhere for months, while the bilingual soundtrack album has been in the top 10 since March, currently sitting at number two.
Disney's marketing in Japan originally targeted young women and girls with the somewhat unconventional dual-female lead characters and the film's musical-like qualities. Spreading from that core audience, Frozen began to attract a wide age range, getting occasional cinemagoers into theaters, and a large number of repeaters.
So basically fantastic marketing, a song that translated over well, and popular voice actors.  

Xevross

I found this article
Why 'Frozen' Was Huge in Japan | Hollywood Reporter

So basically fantastic marketing, a song that translated over well, and popular voice actors.  
Yeah that explains why it was big but its still crazy how it was as huge as it was. Its run was crazy, it debuted with a $7.5m weekend and its next 10 weekends were all around or higher than that, it just never dropped. Japan is more leggy than other markets but that's still bonkers.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah that explains why it was big but its still crazy how it was as huge as it was. Its run was crazy, it debuted with a $7.5m weekend and its next 10 weekends were all around or higher than that, it just never dropped. Japan is more leggy than other markets but that's still bonkers.
Funny that it's the exact reverse situation with games

Xevross

Funny that it's the exact reverse situation with games
Yeah, its because there's not many screens in Japan, so the maximum capacity for one weekend is rather small. That means most people have to wait to see films and can't go out first weekend.

Xevross

Jul 22, 2018, 09:40 AM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018, 09:42 AM by Xevross
Have you guys heard about what's happening with Disney and firing James Gunn? Basically James Gunn tweeted out against Trump when he was meeting Putin, saying he's in Putin's pocket and should be impeached. Which is probably true, but anyway... he also made a few other tweets against Trump. Trump's fans weren't happy about this so pressured Disney to fire him, which they did, in a stupid cowardly move. They cited some bad jokes he made over 10 years ago as the real reason, but that wasn't a problem for them when he made the first two Guardians movies so why is it now?

So now Guardians 3 is in a bit of trouble due to having to find a new director, and James Gunn was fired for no good reason. Anyway, there's a petitionto resign him which won't work but it shows support at least.

Dr. Pezus

Have you guys heard about what's happening with Disney and firing James Gunn? Basically James Gunn tweeted out against Trump when he was meeting Putin, saying he's in Putin's pocket and should be impeached. Which is probably true, but anyway... he also made a few other tweets against Trump. Trump's fans weren't happy about this so pressured Disney to fire him, which they did, in a stupid cowardly move. They cited some bad jokes he made over 10 years ago as the real reason, but that wasn't a problem for them when he made the first two Guardians movies so why is it now?

So now Guardians 3 is in a bit of trouble due to having to find a new director, and James Gunn was fired for no good reason. Anyway, there's a petitionto resign him which won't work but it shows support at least.
Yeah. Maybe they didn't know about the tweets and someone showed them to them

Legend

Yeah. Maybe they didn't know about the tweets and someone showed them to them
Disney has many people working there and it could also be a case of different people having different opinions, and only once the controversy started would the higher higher ups learn about it.

The thing that gets me is that they fired him so incredibly fast. I only heard about the controversy through him being fired. Firing him exclusively for PR reasons against that specific backlash seems unlikely. Either it's a moral reason from a different exec or he was already on the chopping block imo.

Dr. Pezus

Disney has many people working there and it could also be a case of different people having different opinions, and only once the controversy started would the higher higher ups learn about it.

The thing that gets me is that they fired him so incredibly fast. I only heard about the controversy through him being fired. Firing him exclusively for PR reasons against that specific backlash seems unlikely. Either it's a moral reason from a different exec or he was already on the chopping block imo.
Considering the incredible success of his movies I doubt he was supposed to be fired before

nnodley

Yeah his tweets back then were incredibly weird and nasty, though without context and reading them all at the same time makes them seem even worse.  He should not have been fired and especially not as fast as he was.

Legend

nnodley

Watched Truth or Dare.  Wasn't too bad. Not really scary just a little creepy.

Finishing The Titan on netflix.  Not bad, but a lot of wasted potential.

the-pi-guy

Harmon deleted his Twitter because of outrage of a shock humor video from years ago.  Really messed up, but it's dark humor.  

Seems it's mostly alt-right who were complaining .

Xevross

Harmon deleted his Twitter because of outrage of a shock humor video from years ago.  Really messed up, but it's dark humor.  

Seems it's mostly alt-right who were complaining .
Shock and awe that it's the alt right getting upset at and complaining about everything.

Go Up