Nintendo's FY 2013 Results are in: Net Loss $240m; WiiU 2.7m, 3DS 12.2m

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 07, 2014, 12:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir//pdf/2014/140507.pdf
English article: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/07/nintendo-publishes-financial-results-for-fiscal-year-2013/

Fiscal year: Operating loss 46.4bn Yen ($465m), Net loss 23.2bn Yen ($240m).

Wii U at 6.17m shipped, forecast of 3.6m for the coming year. Q4 shipment of 0.31m. 2013/14 shipment, 2.72m vs 2.8m forecast

- Software at 32.28m, forecast of 20m for the coming year. 2013/14 software shipment, 18.86m vs 19m forecast

3DS at 43.33m shipped, forecast of 12m for the coming year. Q4 shipment of 0.59m. 2013/14 shipment, 12.24m vs 13.5m forecast

- Software at 162.92m, forecast of 67m for the coming year. 2013/14 software shipment, 67.89m vs 66m forecast

Cash and equivalents down from $4.7bn to $3.4bn, a drop of $1.3bn over the year.

All in all, not very good. They projected 9m for WiiU last year btw, which ended up being 2.7m. They also projected an insane number for 3DS, can't remember exactly what but I think 15 or 16m.

darkknightkryta

Funny at VGC, now they realize Nintendo is in trouble.  Yet any sane person who foresaw this a year or so ago got banned.  Hell I got a lot of flack when I mentioned the handheld market is dead.  Numbers be told.

Dr. Pezus

Funny at VGC, now they realize Nintendo is in trouble.  Yet any sane person who foresaw this a year or so ago got banned.  Hell I got a lot of flack when I mentioned the handheld market is dead.  Numbers be told.

The worst part is that Nintendo has nothing else than the handheld market currently...2.7m for a whole year is truly abysmal for WiiU. They missed every single one of their targets every quarter it seems. Looks like they're finally realizing WiiU is a failure now with the 3.6m projection for it.
That 12m for 3DS will end up way too high. It's falling off a cliff already. I'd say 9m.

Dr. Pezus

Oh and WiiU seems overtracked on the website-we-should-not-name. 5.97m sold vs. 6.17m shipped. That's only 200k on shelves. I think 400-500k would be more appropriate for WiiU.

BananaKing

Funny at VGC, now they realize Nintendo is in trouble.  Yet any sane person who foresaw this a year or so ago got banned.  heck I got a lot of flack when I mentioned the handheld market is dead.  Numbers be told.

back when the vita was about to launch and 3ds just launched. i used to believe the handheld market is still gonna go strong. maybe not as strong as the 7th gen handhelds, but both would still do good.

however, now i realized that the handheld market is pretty much dead. i expect the next nintendo handheld to perform closer to the vita than closer to the 3ds.

darkknightkryta

Nintendo's next handheld will most likely be their last.

BananaKing

Nintendo's next handheld will most likely be their last.

they need to get rid of iwata now. this gen is all but done for them, they need to work hard on the next and make sure its awesome, if iwata stays it will be a mega failure as well. they need new blood, get rid of iwata and make myamoto just in charge of one game or just a few games.

darkknightkryta

they need to get rid of iwata now. this gen is all but done for them, they need to work hard on the next and make sure its awesome, if iwata stays it will be a mega failure as well. they need new blood, get rid of iwata and make myamoto just in charge of one game or just a few games.

Well the biggest problem is that Nintendo's solution is to throw more Mario at the problem.  It's sort of worked for them the past 30 years.  But it's not gonna work anymore.  I agree Nintendo needs new blood.  Or rather, they need a better NA division.  Making Retro work on another Donkey Kong is probably the worst decision they've made these past few years.  Nintendo needs new creation, not sequels.

Raven

Nintendo needs to make sure their next console has comparable power to the competition. They need to be more flexible with third-parties as I've heard they're a pain to deal with. They must create a new image of a more mature and diverse company. They need to stop trying to be completely different from the competition every generation. Innovation is great but not only does it not guarantee success it can actually backfire on you. Nintendo needs to invest in a robust online network and place a greater emphasis on creating games that use online multiplayer instead of couch games. They need to create new IPs that cater to a wider range of gamers.

Dr. Pezus

"Cash and equivalents down from $4.7bn to $3.4bn, a drop of $1.3bn over the year."

Anyone shocked by this? I thought they had almost 10B in the bank. At this rate they would crash and burn in only a few years. They need their next console to be a success

7H3

jeeze man I hope things turn around for nintendo...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Raven

"Cash and equivalents down from $4.7bn to $3.4bn, a drop of $1.3bn over the year."

Anyone shocked by this? I thought they had almost 10B in the bank. At this rate they would crash and burn in only a few years. They need their next console to be a success

Yeah that was the word going around for awhile but as far as I know no one ever presented the evidence for it. It was deemed purely a rumor after awhile. At one point there were people trying to claim that Nintendo had as much as 12 billion in the bank. Sounds like Nintendo is in a much more difficult position than people thought.

7H3

Yeah that was the word going around for awhile but as far as I know no one ever presented the evidence for it. It was deemed purely a rumor after awhile. At one point there were people trying to claim that Nintendo had as much as 12 billion in the bank. Sounds like Nintendo is in a much more difficult position than people thought.

if mario kart and SSB don't turn things around I don't really know what will... I mean even with the lower tech dev's should really be able to do some cool stuff with the WiiU that would be great for gaming that other consoles can't really do... I mean imagine outlast on wii U then looking through the tablet controller camera off screen and a friggen zombie being there!

darkknightkryta

I actually looked into it. They invested 4.5 into short term investments and the other half was banked as liquid.

7H3

I actually looked into it. They invested 4.5 into short term investments and the other half was banked as liquid.

so does that mean they have more than what is just reported here?