Elders react to Oculus Rift

Started by Dr. Pezus, Aug 28, 2014, 07:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

Is it me or are like half the people there not really elders lol??

kitler53

"The Morpheus as it exists today is really pushing the limits of the PS4," Luckey said in a recent interview with Kotaku. "And it's still not as good as DK2. So as time goes on and the hardware gets better - PC hardware will get better, VR hardware will get better, resolution will go up, framerate will go up - and the PS4 will remain the same power as it is today. That's true for any console. So even if they make a really great product today I think it's going to have a hard time staying relevant in the virtual reality landscape as time goes on. Five years from now we'll probably be on our second, third generation product and it'll most likely be something… the PS4 could never even thrive."

It doesn't appear as if Luckey is too phased by Project Morpheus, then. "It's basically a side project for them right now," he continued. "If they decided to invest a lot of money in it and release it as a product then it's still limited to PS4. It's not really a competitor to us because we're not going to be on PS4 anyway. There are very few people who are going to say 'should I get Oculus on PC or Morpheus on PS4 because I have both and I don't know which one I'd rather have?' A tiny number people are going to do that."

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

Imagine PT with this shame. dang

kitler53

i'm surprised how postive they were on the experience.   ..not like overwhelmingly positive but waaaaaay more positive than i expected.  maybe this won't flop as hard as i was thinking.

kitler53

Imagine PT with this shame. dang

i will never play a horror game in VR.   not happening.

Riderz1337

I choose Morpheus over Oculus because my PC sucks and won't be able to run any of the games at the recommended 1080P 75+ FPS...With Morpheus all I really need is the PS4 and everything else is already done for me.

I just hope Morpheus is something like 300$ and not some ridiculous price.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Riderz1337

Oh and also the move controllers actually look really cool with Morpheus...Never thought there would be any use for the Move in gaming but it looks like it immerses you even more when you couple Morpheus with the Move.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Dr. Pezus

i'm surprised how postive they were on the experience.   ..not like overwhelmingly positive but waaaaaay more positive than i expected.  maybe this won't flop as hard as i was thinking.

I would actually call that overwhelmingly positive. Only real negative mentioned was less than perfect graphics, which is a non-issue when playing a high budget game instead of a tech demo.

Legend

"The Morpheus as it exists today is really pushing the limits of the PS4," Luckey said in a recent interview with Kotaku. "And it's still not as good as DK2. So as time goes on and the hardware gets better - PC hardware will get better, VR hardware will get better, resolution will go up, framerate will go up - and the PS4 will remain the same power as it is today. That's true for any console. So even if they make a really great product today I think it's going to have a hard time staying relevant in the virtual reality landscape as time goes on. Five years from now we'll probably be on our second, third generation product and it'll most likely be something… the PS4 could never even thrive."

What is he smoking? Neither DK2 or PM are limited by system power in any meaningful way. The main limitation right now is the headset's display itself.

When VR gets to the point of having an 8K screen @120 hertz then the PS4 is going to have issues in the graphics department but that's a long way off.

Dr. Pezus

What is he smoking? Neither DK2 or PM are limited by system power in any meaningful way. The main limitation right now is the headset's display itself.

When VR gets to the point of having an 8K screen @120 hertz then the PS4 is going to have issues in the graphics department but that's a long way off.

Yeah, and at that point PS5 will be out or on its way with an updated VR tech

DD_Bwest

the reactions seemed pretty dam positive to me lol   

Vr is the future

Legend

Yeah, and at that point PS5 will be out or on its way with an updated VR tech

It'll still be the thing of PC graphics>console graphics of course, but I don't see that happening with the VR hardware itself.

kitler53

the reactions seemed pretty dam positive to me lol   

Vr is the future

apparently,. when old people dont' run scared from technology you know you've got something.

ethomaz

Oculus Rift is being killed due the lack of way to walk...

The Morpheus demo you can freely walk and even make your head smash on the wall.

kitler53

Oculus Rift is being killed due the lack of way to walk...

The Morpheus demo you can freely walk and even make your head smash on the wall.

what do you mean?  they haven't developed any secondary input (aka controller)?