Inside Series S

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 09, 2020, 01:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

i haven't watched it yet because i'm in a meeting but this seems relavant to this thread.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

i haven't watched it yet because i'm in a meeting but this seems relavant to this thread.

That is the video in the OP.   :P

Legend

That is the video in the OP.   :P
That's why it's relevant  ::)

kitler53

kitler53

in truth i just didn't watch the video in the OP because i thought it was this one:

the-pi-guy

Sep 09, 2020, 05:27 PM Last Edit: Sep 09, 2020, 05:32 PM by the-pi-guy
in truth i just didn't watch the video in the OP because i thought it was this one:

That means one of us is a lazy OP. 

And the other is a lazy reader. 

the-pi-guy

As a next gen console, I much prefer the XSX.

But it's kind of cute as a side thing.  Maybe the PS5 DE slim will be that size. That'd be worth buying.

kitler53

As a next gen console, I much prefer the XSX.

But it's kind of cute as a side thing.  Maybe the PS5 DE slim will be that size. That'd be worth buying.
the ps5 DE slim will still be bigger than the ps4...

the-pi-guy

the ps5 DE slim will still be bigger than the ps4...
That's why they are making the PS5SS (super slim).

Legend

I think this might be the first time in history that a company has made a next gen console "weaker" than their previous console. Series S has all the fancy new next gen features but some games will run better on One X.

Dr. Pezus

I think this might be the first time in history that a company has made a next gen console "weaker" than their previous console. Series S has all the fancy new next gen features but some games will run better on One X.

Is it weaker?

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Is it weaker?
It has a weaker gpu and ram, but can use next gen tricks to make up for that.

Is not strong enough to play xbox one x games unless they are ported.

Xevross

It has a weaker gpu and ram, but can use next gen tricks to make up for that.

Is not strong enough to play xbox one x games unless they are ported.
I don't think that's true. The GPU architecture is much better so it is actually a better GPU overall. The RAM is GDDR6 which gives it an advantage, plus it has the SSD and a vastly superior CPU.

the-pi-guy

I don't think that's true. The GPU architecture is much better so it is actually a better GPU overall. The RAM is GDDR6 which gives it an advantage, plus it has the SSD and a vastly superior CPU.
That's why he mentioned next gen tricks. New features can work more efficiently.  

But older games aren't likely to take advantage of the new architecture.

Remains to be seen how it ends up. GPUs are really complicated. Arithmetic compute is just one part of the puzzle, and I don't think we know how the rest lines up.

(Technically even that comes with a caveat that compute *can* be counted different ways. But I doubt it makes a big difference unless youre comparing really old GPUs to new ones)

Go Up