Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Someone on Reddit asked why astrology was ridiculous.  Why's it ridiculous that the gravity from a star could have an impact on development?

The gravity being tiny is the obvious answer.  

The force of gravity between Earth and the closest star was bigger than I expected, but even still.  It comes out to a tiny acceleration.  Like less than a quadrillionth of the acceleration the Earth gives objects on the surface.  

Basically even  if astrology wasn't bunk, it'd still be stupidly useless that it'd basically be bunk again.  

If the gravity from even the closest stars had an effect on development, so would the gravity of some large ships and buildings.  

Haven't done any calculations, but I'd guess that the effect of most stars in astrology would be even less than the effect of small buildings.  

Xevross

Someone on Reddit asked why astrology was ridiculous.  Why's it ridiculous that the gravity from a star could have an impact on development?

The force of gravity between Earth and the closest star was bigger than I expected, but even still.  It comes out to a tiny acceleration.  Like less than a quadrillionth of the acceleration the Earth gives objects on the surface.  

Basically even  if astrology wasn't bunk, it'd still be stupidly useless that it'd basically be bunk again.  

If the gravity from even the closest stars had an effect on development, so would the gravity of some large ships and buildings.  

Haven't done any calculations, but I'd guess that the effect of most stars in astrology would be even less than the effect of small buildings.  
Wait is the supposed 'science' of astrology claimed to be about gravity of the stars? How does that make any sense? I thought it was just spiritual shame.

the-pi-guy

Wait is the supposed 'science' of astrology claimed to be about gravity of the stars?
It's the psuedoscience I've heard of it in the past. The redditor made a similar "why couldn't gravity do such and such".  

How does that make any sense?
I mean it doesn't make any sense so...

But I always assume they'd say something like gravity in different directions would affect how the brain develops.  

But that'd be just as nonsensical. Maybe even more.  

I thought it was just spiritual shame.
I'm not sure how common the spiritual vs gravity explanations are.  

Legend

Gravity is super weak compared to other forces but stars and space objects can be just so massive.

I never knew that astrology had a belief that gravity from stars caused it, but another flaw with that view is that the gravity on Earth would not change in a yearly cycle. Earth's orbit is so small that the relative velocities of those stars and our sun would make the year over year pull more varied than the month over month pull.

Legend

the Comet on Vimeo

I always like videos like this

the-pi-guy

Something that most people don't get is when people are doing research on obvious questions.  

Like questions that everyone thinks they know the answer to, just based off common sense or experiences.

One challenge is that common sense is often super wrong.  The obvious, seemingly clearly correct view can actually be wrong.  

Also just had a weird bug.  Was deleting some new lines and it was deleting characters from a word.  Added a new space and all the characters came back.

Legend

Something that most people don't get is when people are doing research on obvious questions.  

Like questions that everyone thinks they know the answer to, just based off common sense or experiences.

One challenge is that common sense is often super wrong.  The obvious, seemingly clearly correct view can actually be wrong.  

Also just had a weird bug.  Was deleting some new lines and it was deleting characters from a word.  Added a new space and all the characters came back.
The worst is that no one wants to fund those uninteresting studies/experiments, especially ones that just set out to replicate old studies. Science only works if everything is checked.

Weird.

Legend

Go Up