Halo Infinite 4K gameplay demo

Started by Legend, Jul 23, 2020, 05:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Halo 4 on the Xbox 360 (low resolution, I know.  Best I could find).

Legend

Halo 4 on the Xbox 360 (low resolution, I know.  Best I could find).

Halo Infinite is pushing way more geometry and everything else.

Yet Halo 4 is more visually pleasing if you squint.

It really feels like Halo 1 as a remaster/remake. Sticking to that high contrast nostalgic look instead of going more realistic.

the-pi-guy

Halo Infinite is pushing way more geometry and everything else.

Yet Halo 4 is more visually pleasing if you squint.

It really feels like Halo 1 as a remaster/remake. Sticking to that high contrast nostalgic look instead of going more realistic.
Halo Infinite is pushing a lot more stuff, but some rougher qualities make it feel like it isn't quite a solid generational leap, let alone two.

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

Legend

I mean that's not how any of this works, but it's flipping crazy how widespread the reaction is if even a Domino's twitter is talking about it.

Dr. Pezus

That's some epic burn

kitler53

holy doo-doo is that hilarious.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

I mean that's not how any of this works, but it's flipping crazy how widespread the reaction is if even a Domino's twitter is talking about it.
Lmao I love it when brands get edgy on social media. And yeah its everywhere, most people who follow gaming in any capacity online have now seen the memes. Even if its not that bad there's that reputation now. Xbox are in a really big hole, its not like they have any other big games coming soon to try and draw the attention to.

the-pi-guy

Been looking at this.  

Some parts are better than I thought.

Lightning feels like a big issue.  
Grass towards the bottom left looks like a pile.  A bad pile.  The trees in the back left part of the screen look bizarrely bad.  Even for being in the distance.  

The wall in the background left doesn't look good either.  

Legend

Been looking at this.  

Some parts are better than I thought.

Lightning feels like a big issue.  
Grass towards the bottom left looks like a pile.  A bad pile.  The trees in the back left part of the screen look bizarrely bad.  Even for being in the distance.  

The wall in the background left doesn't look good either.  
There are lots of flaws I see but I see flaws in even the best looking games.

IMO improved lighting would fix like 90% of the issues most players have with it. So many elements look like sprites that have just been pasted on top of the screenshot, like the brute's helmet. Could do with some ambient occlusion.

Rewatching it frame by frame, I think it can be summed up in a few ways.

#1 Textures are incredibly high resolution, believe it or not. Craig's arm is clipping through the camera at one point and yet you can't see any texels.

#2 Normal maps are only used for specular highlights. This seems crazy odd. An object will look completely flat and then at specific angles you can clearly see that it has a full normal map. Lighting is seemingly pre baked into textures. In the screenshot above you can see a heart like outline made from veins on the brute's hands. This is in full direct sunlight and realistically the left side of a vein would be darker, but instead that's only true for the right half of the heart. The cliffs in the background look so freaking low res because lighting is based off the mesh instead of off the normal map.

If my #2 point is correct, we could see a HUGE jump in game quality. It's seemingly a stylistic choice to make the game look more like Combat Evolved.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Seems series x logo might also be on the top right.

Xevross

Seems series x logo might also be on the top right.
Surely this can't be real? That's Series X in three different places on weird badges.

Go Up