Why do you want xbox+ps4+pc+mobile crossplay?

Started by Legend, Mar 09, 2018, 05:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I still don't understand why people think this is important or even good. Playing with friends on the other system would be great, but that's seemingly not a feature that this crossplay would allow.

The only advantage is increasing the pool of active players. Xbox games might sell less than PS4 games but it's not that large of a difference. Plus most people focus on wanting crossplay on big games that already have huge player numbers. Smaller indie games are the ones that'd truely benefit from this.

The disadvantage is that different systems have slightly different games. Xbox and ps4 are pretty close but include mobile or pc and it stops being fair to all players. Doesn't matter for all genres but does for a lot of them.

So am I wrong about something and you still really want this feature? Or are most people demanding it wrong in some form?

the-pi-guy

Fortnite has a separate game friendliest for players on separate platforms.  

So people want to play with their friends, even at the cost of competition.  

Personally I don't care how well I do on online games.  

Mobile cross platform though is garbage.  

Legend

Fortnite has a separate game friendliest for players on separate platforms.  
That's good, so you can party up with them even? I used to think that's why everyone wanted crossplay but I thought rocket league didn't allow that.

darkknightkryta

I want it cause I want to PC game more, but the player base is on PS4.  It's why I like SF 5.  If I'm too lazy to go to my PS4, I'll just play it in my room on my Skullcanyon.  On the flip end, I can't play anyone in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite cause the game's dead on PC, but I'd be able to find people on PS4 (Can't actually verify the Marvel, since I haven't brought it online just hearsay about the PC online.)

the-pi-guy

That's good, so you can party up with them even? I used to think that's why everyone wanted crossplay but I thought rocket league didn't allow that.
I dont have fortnite, but there's a few threads on the fortnite forums about being able to join up. Apparently you can't do invites, but you can join people on your friends list.

Ludicrous Speed

The most obvious is the one you pointed out, larger player pool. So far outside of a few MMO type games the majority of the ones I have seen supporting it are titles like Minecraft, Rocket, and now Fortnite. Games that you never have trouble finding matches anyway. But there are lots of smaller games on all platforms that could benefit from a higher player pool. What if Awesomenauts allowed everyone to play together?

Secondly and to a lesser degree, so you can play with friends who don't have the same platform as you. I've convinced two friends to get Dead By Daylight and they love it, but both only own PS4s. If we could play together, that would be sweet, because I'm not buying it and starting over on PS4.

Personally though outside of that one scenario I listed above, it's not a big deal to me.

Xevross

A lot of games struggle for a playerbase and crossplay would help them a lot. Battleborn and similar come to mind. I don't particularly care, since all my friends have the same platform but it would still be nice if it got working.

the-pi-guy

(GamesIndustry.biz) Do gamers really care about cross-platform play? (GameTrack survey) | ResetEra

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-12-do-gamers-really-care-about-cross-platform-play
Cross-platform play may not be as important to gamers as many in the industry believe, with the results from GameTrack's Q4 2017 survey showing a general indifference to the trend among consumers. The value of PlayStation, Xbox and PC owners being able to play together has been a regular feature in the news over the last 12 months. Microsoft has made cross-platform play between console and PC a core feature of its first-party strategy, while Sony has been widely criticised for its apparent reluctance to allow cross-platform functionality between PlayStation and Xbox.Click to expand...
"The GameTrack survey shows that cross-platform play is not an important factor in how consumers think about purchasing consoles"Click to expand...
Please read the article before posting.  

Dr. Pezus

MS chasing a niche again.

Legend

MS chasing a niche again.

Eh it's smart. Gives their fans something to latch on to and make MS have an artificial victory over Sony. Plus Microsoft would probably enjoy it actually happening.

Dr. Pezus

Eh it's smart. Gives their fans something to latch on to and make MS have an artificial victory over Sony. Plus Microsoft would probably enjoy it actually happening.
Eh sure it's a nice thing to have but not important in the grand scheme of things as evident here

Legend

Eh sure it's a nice thing to have but not important in the grand scheme of things as evident here
You sound like you're disagreeing with me, but that's pretty much what I said in the op.

Dr. Pezus

You sound like you're disagreeing with me, but that's pretty much what I said in the op.
Your post before this seemed more positive about it lol

Legend

Your post before this seemed more positive about it lol
Just from Microsoft's perspective.

Dr. Pezus

Just from Microsoft's perspective.
They only care about money though, even though on the outside it may seem different