Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Maybe that's what lockhart is for. Make it cheap enough that non US gamers can buy one on top of PS5 just for a few exclusives.

Would be a great deal if they don't have a gaming pc.

Dr. Pezus

Maybe that's what lockhart is for. Make it cheap enough that non US gamers can buy one on top of PS5 just for a few exclusives.

Would be a great deal if they don't have a gaming pc.

Except I don't think RoW will care as long as Sony don't fudge up. Most people don't buy two consoles

Legend

Except I don't think RoW will care as long as Sony don't fudge up. Most people don't buy two consoles
If Xbox game studios pump out more hits, online is free, and gamepass is seen as a cheap way to jump in, I think that could change.

Say Avowed, Fable, and the game from the initiative end up being great and hard to miss. $250 for lockhart in 2024 would be almost as cheap as just buying the games full price.

Xevross

If Xbox game studios pump out more hits, online is free, and gamepass is seen as a cheap way to jump in, I think that could change.

Say Avowed, Fable, and the game from the initiative end up being great and hard to miss. $250 for lockhart in 2024 would be almost as cheap as just buying the games full price.
Yeah its a real wildcard, the whole thing. If MS studios does get to a point of putting out lots of big games then Lockheart + gamepass could be absolutely massive. Alternatively people could just not really care and see it as the usual few xbox games they're missing out on.

XB1 S has been dirt cheap for a while, gamepass has been a great deal for a while, yet XB1 is still almost dead at this point and has had a really bad last few years. The people that might want to jump on Lockheart in the future for these reasons really should have got an XB1S already, but they haven't.

This is what leads me to think Pez is right, xbox will attract a few more but that's it. They certainly aren't going to convince anyone to jump from PS5, just add a second console at best, and most people don't do second consoles.

Xevross

I'm becoming very confident in $399/$499 PS5.

the-pi-guy

I'm becoming very confident in $399/$499 PS5.
Why?

Me too though. I'm really hoping for a $399/$449 though.

Xevross

Aug 02, 2020, 09:27 PM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 09:30 PM by Xevross
Why?

Me too though. I'm really hoping for a $399/$449 though.
It just makes so much logical sense, the more I think about it from different angles and look at things in the past the more it makes so much sense.

$399/$449 would be too crazy. They'd be taking a bigger loss than PS4 on both SKUs and the difference isn't big enough to encourage people to digital. $100 difference makes the most sense. If I was to put chances on each:

$399/$499 50%
$449/$499 29%
$399/$449 15%
Disk higher than $499 5%
Digital lower than $399 1%

Obviously there can also be some in between too but you get the gist.

the-pi-guy

It just makes so much logical sense, the more I think about it from different angles and look at things in the past the more it makes so much sense.

$399/$449 would be too crazy. They'd be taking a bigger loss than PS4 on both SKUs and the difference isn't big enough to encourage people to digital. $100 difference makes the most sense. If I was to put chances on each:

$399/$499 50%
$449/$499 29%
$399/$449 15%
Disk higher than $499 5%
Digital lower than $399 1%

Obviously there can also be some in between too but you get the gist.
Personally I think:
60% chance of $399/$499
30% chance of $399/$449
10% chance of $449/$499

Yeah the second option they'll lose more money, but I think they'll want to take that risk to grow the market as quick as they can.  PS4, they played things pretty safe.  They've got a steady subscription base, and they know consoles are sticking around.

Xevross

Aug 02, 2020, 09:51 PM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 09:53 PM by Xevross
Personally I think:
60% chance of $399/$499
30% chance of $399/$449
10% chance of $449/$499

Yeah the second option they'll lose more money, but I think they'll want to take that risk to grow the market as quick as they can.  PS4, they played things pretty safe.  They've got a steady subscription base, and they know consoles are sticking around.
I think $399 digital PS5 is enough to do that.

I'm interested to see how hard they go in 2021. Presuming PS5 keeps selling, perhaps they could go as high as 30M shipped by the end of the year? PS4 was 19.9M and I think its realistic they go +10M on that. PS4 was about +10M on PS3 end of first full year.

We know they want to produce 10M by end of 2020, which will translate to over 10M shipped by end of March, probably more like 12M+ which would be up 5M on PS4. Another 5M in the next 9 months would seem easy after that. They can produce 1.7M a month given what we know and that will ramp up, so 30M is definitely possible.

kitler53

there games can't just be good they need to be amazing.  and it can't be just 1 amazing game in a generation it has to be 1-2 a year.  the "mass audience" only buys a couple games a gen and they want to best ones.  

ms just doesn't seem to even want to do that.   halo ought to have been their mind blowing game and it looks like trash.  the lastest gears was trash.   most of their new studios aren't AAA caliber.   obsidian is their only studio capable of making that AAA must play game,.. but they just can't output fast enough to matter.   

if gamepass was really as valuable as people are trying to make it xbox wouldn't be selling like such absolute garbage.    

sony is the netflix of gaming.  ms is the CBS all access..

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Outer Worlds isn't as big as I thought, still pretty great sales though.

kitler53

i feel dirty complaining about only 32 million sales for red dead 2 but..

...how is it red dead can only sell 32 million when GTA 5 can get to 135.   this isn't just a matter of time on market.  

like i said in the other thread,.. outer worlds wasn't received all that well.  not terrible but not great either.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

How the freak does nba sell that much as a yearly game?

Xevross

How the freak does nba sell that much as a yearly game?
That's less than half of what fifa sells. These sports games are just huge, I believe NBA 2K is the biggest sports game in the US.

the-pi-guy

I don't understand.

But then I don't understand let's plays so you know...  

Go Up