Space exploration and rockets general thread

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2017, 05:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Time for whatever Blue Origin are doing.

Legend

Looks so expensive to build though.

Legend

May 09, 2019, 08:45 PM Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:47 PM by Legend

Nice!

https://www.blueorigin.com/blue-moon

Legend

Legend

Just saw the starlink sats!!! Lightning is happening atm but the clouds cleared with just a minute to spare. Looked like three sats following each other. Eventually they got really bright and I could just barely make out a lot more hidden in there and behind them. Was super duper cool.

This is our sputnik moment. In 5 years, starlink and other space web sats will blanket the sky every night at this specific time. It will be really cool and weird.

nnodley

Just saw the starlink sats!!! Lightning is happening atm but the clouds cleared with just a minute to spare. Looked like three sats following each other. Eventually they got really bright and I could just barely make out a lot more hidden in there and behind them. Was super duper cool.

This is our sputnik moment. In 5 years, starlink and other space web sats will blanket the sky every night at this specific time. It will be really cool and weird.
It awesome that we will eventually have what will hopefully be super amazing satellite internet, but at the same time hopefully the sats don't saturate the night sky too much and ruin the natural sky.

Legend

It awesome that we will eventually have what will hopefully be super amazing satellite internet, but at the same time hopefully the sats don't saturate the night sky too much and ruin the natural sky.
I'm actually kinda looking forward to it. In my backyard I have pretty low light pollution and in the mountains I can get essentially zero light pollution and seeing satellites has always been a fun part of stargazing for me. They're only visible for a few hours after the sun sets unless you are really far north. I was actually kinda sad to read the Musk tweet about them looking into decreasing the brightness lol.

The only worry I have is for radio astronomy. That's impacted regardless of the time of day.

Legend

Legend

Legend

Falcon Heavy tonight!

Crazy complex mission. Launching a whole bunch of payloads to different orbits. Will be scary.

Legend

Legend

I really hope this goes well. Knocks on wood.

Legend

Legend

Falcon Heavy night launch is cool.

Go Up