Will Rockstar follow the same path as Bethesda?

Started by Legend, Jan 02, 2019, 04:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Bethesda used to be loved. Skyrim was a GTA/RDR2 like beast with a 96 meta.

Most importantly for this thread, Skyrim also had flaws like GTA/RDR2. It was a meme that Bethesda games were buggy and it is a meme that Rockstar games have bad controls/movement. These issues don't matter to everyone but it seems fair to say both studios were in a pretty similar situation.

So do you think Rockstar will follow a similar path?

BananaKing

Starfield will be awesome, and so will elder Scrolls 6. So don't worry about it

Xevross

Well GTA and RDR2 are actually brilliant games, while Skyrim was just the first to do it and imo is pretty average (the exception being GTA IV, which is also average). Rockstar clearly care about quality, and they take a lot of time with their games nowadays. They have much bigger numbers of people working on their games, with QA departments magnitudes bigger than Bethesda's. Bethesda just don't care about quality, which is why they've fallen from grace. R* are completely blue about QA and want their games to be perfect.

The bad controls/ movement is a choice on Rockstar's part. They want movement to feel weighty and be very momentum based. The implementations of their ideas are flawless, whether you like them or not. Bethesda on the other hand can barely make fully functioning games, and the flaws in their games are obviously just from shame development/ lack of testing, which is completely different.

Plus R* have the online part of their games, which a lot of people love.

So yeah, I don't think R* will ever fall like Bethesda.

the-pi-guy

Bethesda's games have had a lot of bugs for a while.  Years before Skyrim was even a thing.  Even Oblivion had a lot of problems and that was 5 years before Skyrim.  The PS3 version was better because someone else did the port.  

Bethesda has had one kinda rough game (which still got 84-88 MC) and one very poorly thought out game .It's not really an outgrowth of the problems they've had, it's more of a weird misstep.  

I have little doubt that Elder Scrolls 6 will be well received.  I wouldn't say that Bethesda are on a bad path.  

With that said Rockstar is totally different.  They've made it pretty clear that they are happy to throw buckets of money to make their big games as flawless as they possibly can.  

Xevross

Yeah like Pi and BK, I think Starfield and TES6 will be very well received. Fallout 76 will just be a blip, and they'll make sure of that. They'll also shout across the rooftops about how they've learned their lessons and their new game will be flawless.

Legend

Jan 02, 2019, 09:18 PM Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 10:07 PM by Legend
I don't think I made my op clear enough. It's not that Bethesda have become bad developers and that Rockstar will follow, it's that Bethesda have lost their immunity within the community and that Rockstar may follow.

Bethesda has been known as the studio with glitches for years. Rockstar has been known as the studio with bad controls for years. It didn't matter for either studio though since they kept making awesome games.

Starfield will be awesome, and so will elder Scrolls 6. So don't worry about it
Both will be awesome hopefully. I'm so excited for Starfield.

The implementations of their ideas are flawless, whether you like them or not
lol that's not how this works.

Well GTA and RDR2 are actually brilliant games, while Skyrim was just the first to do it and imo is pretty average (the exception being GTA IV, which is also average). Rockstar clearly care about quality, and they take a lot of time with their games nowadays. They have much bigger numbers of people working on their games, with QA departments magnitudes bigger than Bethesda's. Bethesda just don't care about quality, which is why they've fallen from grace. R* are completely blue about QA and want their games to be perfect.

The bad controls/ movement is a choice on Rockstar's part. They want movement to feel weighty and be very momentum based. The implementations of their ideas are flawless, whether you like them or not. Bethesda on the other hand can barely make fully functioning games, and the flaws in their games are obviously just from shame development/ lack of testing, which is completely different.

Plus R* have the online part of their games, which a lot of people love.

So yeah, I don't think R* will ever fall like Bethesda.
Skyrim was so much bigger and better than you are remembering, and I'm not even someone that likes it that much. What do you mean by it was "just the first to do it?" Skyrim is the 5th game in the series.
Bethesda's games have had a lot of bugs for a while.  Years before Skyrim was even a thing.  Even Oblivion had a lot of problems and that was 5 years before Skyrim.  The PS3 version was better because someone else did the port. 

Bethesda has had one kinda rough game (which still got 84-88 MC) and one very poorly thought out game .It's not really an outgrowth of the problems they've had, it's more of a weird misstep. 

I have little doubt that Elder Scrolls 6 will be well received.  I wouldn't say that Bethesda are on a bad path. 

With that said Rockstar is totally different.  They've made it pretty clear that they are happy to throw buckets of money to make their big games as flawless as they possibly can. 

Do you mean the PS3 version of oblivion or skyrim? I remember the Skyrim PS3 port being worse and never getting some patches.

Yeah Fallout 76 isn't the result of Bethesda making glitchy games. I just mean that since Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 especially didn't live up to expectations, the negative connotations of making glitchy games have really caught up with them. Many people in the community were already dissatisfied with Bethesda but previously they were ignored/not the majority.

This is the thread that made me think of this topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 has a 97 Metacritic and plays like absolute dog doo doo | ResetEra

I'm about 10 hours into this game and it is a visual spectacle and I can't get over how alive the world that Rockstar created is.
 People are building little houses and going about their business in a way that makes me feel like I'm just a fly on horse manure in a world very much functioning without me.
 What they achieved with that level of immersion is incredible but...

This game barely feels like a game at all.
 The combat is so bad I just don't even know what to make of it. As soon as I enter a section where I know I'm going to have to start shooting at people I just go Dead Eye crazy so that I can
 get through it as quickly as possible and get back to what I consider the best part of the game - Riding on my horse around this gorgeous world.

Your character input is clumsy and slow and half the time doesn't work and I can't tell if its because its not supposed to all of the time or its contextual.
 Everything is a HOLD X, HOLD Y. I skip looting or searching for things because it feels like its going to take me 5 min to find a can of coffee.

Anyone playing this game knows all of this but I just can't get over that it has a 97. A 97 with a game that plays this poorly should just not be okay.
 I understand wanting to give credit for the momentous achievement that is this world they created. Its like something out of West World in how convincing the details are. At the end of the day though its not a good game at all.

I mean it's not much better than a game like The Order 1886 (Which was crucified) - Incredible Presentation and Visuals but wrapped a game with little to no gameplay at all. With the Order I will say it actually did play better when it actually was a game than this.

So yeah. Ill probably keep playing it because I'm in the love with the story and the world but egads I wish some of these reviewers had the balls to come out and be like - Rockstar you have achieved some incredible leaps in open world immersion but your gameplay systems are archaic and need to be brought up to snuff. Makes me feel bad for how hard I was on the Witcher 3 cause compared to this that game feels like the combat was designed by Platinum.

End rant. Back to my horse and picking carrots   

Xevross

^^ I understand what you meant, I just think that there's no way the community turns against R* as their games are always brilliant, and the controls are subjective whereas for Bethesda the bugs are there for everyone.

Bethesda have seen massive backlash now because the rest of their game was also very bad, to go along with the bugs. If it was just the usual bugs, this wouldn't have happened. R* games are always going to be excellent outside the controls, however, which is another reason they'll be fine.

The only risk R* have with upsetting the community is going to overboard with MTX and a bad economy, but that hasn't affected GTA Online so I think they'll be fine on that front too.

And by the first to do it I meant that a lot of people see Skyrim as being the game which ushered in the modern open world genre. And its not better than I remember, I played it near launch on PS3 and I thought it was super meh. I stopped playing around 10 hours in after a bug forced me to lose about 2 hours of progress, and I just put it down because I wasn't liking it anyway.

Legend

And by the first to do it I meant that a lot of people see Skyrim as being the game which ushered in the modern open world genre
On mobile so I can't make a full post, but I never thought people saw skyrim like that. Oblivion was a very similar open world.

Xevross

On mobile so I can't make a full post, but I never thought people saw skyrim like that. Oblivion was a very similar open world.
Well true, but Skyrim sold many times more than Oblivion. It was Skyrim that shot up in popularity and finally made big open world RPGs mainstream. Pretty much ever big open world RPG since Skyrim is always compared to it. You don't really have that with any other games.

the-pi-guy

I don't think I made my op clear enough. It's not that Bethesda have become bad developers and that Rockstar will follow, it's that Bethesda have lost their immunity within the community and that Rockstar may follow.
I guess I don't really think that's what happened.  

I don't know if they really had "immunity" per se.  I think if TES VI is good, people are going to go back to making fun of their bugs, but in general thinking they make good games.  
Do you mean the PS3 version of oblivion or skyrim?
Oblivion.  4J Studios did the Oblivion port and it was very much liked.  (I think it was actually even better than the 360 version).

I remember the Skyrim PS3 port being worse and never getting some patches.
Not quite what happened!  It got 9 patches in it's first year!  

Although if I remember right, the first few patches made it worse.  But it's very playable with the last update. (But PS3 owners basically had to wait a full year for it to become playable...)

LindaDutton

Hey, guys, I am new here, one thing to get open is to introduce yourself I am Linda and I also like to play video game apart from this I used to do painting as well.
Well, Grand theft auto 5 is also my favorite video game. I find this game is now available with new amazing features like good graphics and all. We can do lot of thing while playing this game. Currently I am playing the shooter video game.