PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

I think this review was written by an african american dude, but yeah not the most ideal choice of words.
That makes it weirder

Where have you been?
On the interwebz

Dr. Pezus

Legend

At this point I'm on media blackout. Time to just play the game.

Xevross

So I finished Demon's Souls. First major takeaway is that it... isn't a hard game? I beat most bosses first try and only died more than 3 times to one boss which was the weird puzzle/ stealth boss where its not clear what you have to do. I got through a lot of the areas first try or in just a few tries as well. As a result it did somewhat feel like a Souls game due to the mechanics and structure but not due to the difficulty.

I haven't played any Dark Souls but Sekrio and Bloodborne were super hard and it took ages to progress, constantly dying and each attempt maybe getting a bit further until after a long time trying you finally reached the next checkpoint/ killed the boss. This game is not like that at all. Its much further between each ckeckpoint but the game expects you to be able to get all the way through without dying. Every enemy feels like you can beat it first time as long as you're somewhat careful.

In a way it was nice, the constant progress and slicing through enemies felt great. Getting through the game in only 19 hours means I can move onto the myriad of other games I have lined up for PS5. But it does lose that Bloodborne satisfaction of finally beating a super hard boss which is what I thought Souls games were all about. If I were to guess I'd say I died at least 10x less than my Bloodborne playthrough, probably way less. Wasn't really expecting that.

kitler53

So I finished Demon's Souls. First major takeaway is that it... isn't a hard game? I beat most bosses first try and only died more than 3 times to one boss which was the weird puzzle/ stealth boss where its not clear what you have to do. I got through a lot of the areas first try or in just a few tries as well. As a result it did somewhat feel like a Souls game due to the mechanics and structure but not due to the difficulty.

I haven't played any Dark Souls but Sekrio and Bloodborne were super hard and it took ages to progress, constantly dying and each attempt maybe getting a bit further until after a long time trying you finally reached the next checkpoint/ killed the boss. This game is not like that at all. Its much further between each ckeckpoint but the game expects you to be able to get all the way through without dying. Every enemy feels like you can beat it first time as long as you're somewhat careful.

In a way it was nice, the constant progress and slicing through enemies felt great. Getting through the game in only 19 hours means I can move onto the myriad of other games I have lined up for PS5. But it does lose that Bloodborne satisfaction of finally beating a super hard boss which is what I thought Souls games were all about. If I were to guess I'd say I died at least 10x less than my Bloodborne playthrough, probably way less. Wasn't really expecting that.
i've alway maintained that demon's souls isn't hard.  it's a puzzle game.  yes you can easily die but you die by not knowing the attack patterns or the strategy.  once you "learn" it the game is easy but when you don't know it it can be quite hard.   the worst thing to do in this game is to keep trying to win with a strategy that isn't working.

it's why demon's souls is my favorite in all of the from software games.  over time they diminished that "strategy" aspect and made it much more combat focused.   i disliked bloodborne for the very reason you are disliking demon's souls,.. i beat nearly all the zones and bosses on the first try.   the game was too easy.  but....

...you also need to appreciate that you are playing demon's souls "out of order".   it was the first game in this genre and no one ever "explained" to me how this game was supposed to be played.  i had to learn it the hard way.  i remember all the "it's too hard" comments about dark souls but as a player that came off the back of demon's souls i actually imposed an artificial level cap of 19 just to up the difficulty because having awareness of "the rules of the game" made the game so much easier.   

if you had trouble with bloodborne i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it was your first game in this genre.  bloodborne is not an overly difficult game once you understand the rules of engagement.  quite honestly i think it is by far the easiest game of all the from software games.  the highly responsive and fast combat mechanics made it exceedingly easy to "recover" from a mistake.  the slower paced combat of demon's souls made mistakes all the more punishing.

i don't know if you had trouble with the 4-2 boss but it was the boss i failed and failed and failed at.   and then when i "figured it out" it was the most mind blowingly satisfying ah-ha moment.  such and amazingly unobvious obvious solution.   also, i don't know if you replayed 3-3 to learn the "secret" to that boss but that was  also a really cool mechanic they put into that boss.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Nov 26, 2020, 09:49 PM Last Edit: Nov 26, 2020, 09:53 PM by Xevross
i've alway maintained that demon's souls isn't hard.  it's a puzzle game.  yes you can easily die but you die by not knowing the attack patterns or the strategy.  once you "learn" it the game is easy but when you don't know it it can be quite hard.   the worst thing to do in this game is to keep trying to win with a strategy that isn't working.

it's why demon's souls is my favorite in all of the from software games.  over time they diminished that "strategy" aspect and made it much more combat focused.   i disliked bloodborne for the very reason you are disliking demon's souls,.. i beat nearly all the zones and bosses on the first try.   the game was too easy.  but....

...you also need to appreciate that you are playing demon's souls "out of order".   it was the first game in this genre and no one ever "explained" to me how this game was supposed to be played.  i had to learn it the hard way.  i remember all the "it's too hard" comments about dark souls but as a player that came off the back of demon's souls i actually imposed an artificial level cap of 19 just to up the difficulty because having awareness of "the rules of the game" made the game so much easier.   

if you had trouble with bloodborne i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it was your first game in this genre.  bloodborne is not an overly difficult game once you understand the rules of engagement.  quite honestly i think it is by far the easiest game of all the from software games.  the highly responsive and fast combat mechanics made it exceedingly easy to "recover" from a mistake.  the slower paced combat of demon's souls made mistakes all the more punishing.

i don't know if you had trouble with the 4-2 boss but it was the boss i failed and failed and failed at.   and then when i "figured it out" it was the most mind blowingly satisfying ah-ha moment.  such and amazingly unobvious obvious solution.   also, i don't know if you replayed 3-3 to learn the "secret" to that boss but that was  also a really cool mechanic they put into that boss.
Who said I disliked it? I thought it was really great, it just doesn't provide that huge sense of accomplishment when you finally beat a boss like in the others. Bloodborne just feels better to play with the fluidity of the combat systems and more fun weapons. Demon's beats Bloodborne in a lot of other areas, mainly graphics and performance and better variety of boss fights and environments. I'd still give Demon's Souls a 9/10, for modern standards its not the masterpiece that Bloodborne is but its an amazing game overall. Being less difficult than expected is a huge positive for me, I dropped Sekiro because it was just stupidly difficult and I couldn't be bothered with it.

Bloodborne was my first yeah, a lot of my difficulty with it was learning this style of game.

4-2 boss? That guy I just beat first time no trouble, it was one of the normal ones that didn't seem to have any trick to it, just dodge and beat him up. 3-3 is cool, I read about it beforehand, I did go up against another player and managed to win my first try.

kitler53

Who said I disliked it? I thought it was really great, it just doesn't provide that huge sense of accomplishment when you finally beat a boss like in the others. Bloodborne just feels better to play with the fluidity of the combat systems and more fun weapons. Demon's beats Bloodborne in a lot of other areas, mainly graphics and performance and better variety of boss fights and environments. I'd still give Demon's Souls a 9/10, for modern standards its not the masterpiece that Bloodborne is but its an amazing game overall. Being less difficult than expected is a huge positive for me, I dropped Sekiro because it was just stupidly difficult and I couldn't be bothered with it.

Bloodborne was my first yeah, a lot of my difficulty with it was learning this style of game.

4-2 boss? That guy I just beat first time no trouble, it was one of the normal ones that didn't seem to have any trick to it, just dodge and beat him up. 3-3 is cool, I read about it beforehand, I did go up against another player and managed to win my first try.
dislike was probably the wrong world.  "didn't appreciate it as much as would have if it was my first experience".  demon's souls is extra special to me because it was my first. 

4-2 on the first try?!?!?!  

Spoiler for Hidden:
you figured out you needed to get naked so the boss can't hear you on the first try.  I'm sorry but you're a damned liar or you read about it first...

Xevross

Nov 27, 2020, 12:49 AM Last Edit: Nov 27, 2020, 12:52 AM by Xevross
dislike was probably the wrong world.  "didn't appreciate it as much as would have if it was my first experience".  demon's souls is extra special to me because it was my first.

4-2 on the first try?!?!?! 

Spoiler for Hidden:
you figured out you needed to get naked so the boss can't hear you on the first try.  I'm sorry but you're a damned liar or you read about it first...

Yeah that makes sense.

Um what, I've never even heard anything about doing that. I just beat the boss normally, lots of dodging, rolling, blocking and getting in quick attacks. I think I used magic for a lot of the fight to stay back and do damage.

kitler53

Nov 27, 2020, 02:21 PM Last Edit: Nov 27, 2020, 02:27 PM by kitler53
Yeah that makes sense.

Um what, I've never even heard anything about doing that. I just beat the boss normally, lots of dodging, rolling, blocking and getting in quick attacks. I think I used magic for a lot of the fight to stay back and do damage.
well if you beat him the "normal" way on your first try then either you are really good at combat or they nerfed him.   a handful of original players were capable of killing him in 1:1 combat but a vast majority couldn't. i know i couldn't.

Spoiler for Hidden:
he&#39;s blind.&nbsp; <br><br>he wears the blindfold in the cut scene and you were supposed to pick up on that clue.&nbsp; but it was the community clues that got me there.&nbsp; &nbsp;he can&#39;t see you but he can &quot;hear&quot; your armor clinking with deadly accuracy.&nbsp; &nbsp;the part that makes him really hard is that the more you &quot;dodge&quot; the more relentless his attacks become because he can hear that.&nbsp; generally speaking you should run out of stamina at which point he destroys you.<br><br>if you get naked except for your weapon he&#39;s basically helpless because he can&#39;t find you.&nbsp; &nbsp;every time you hit him he&#39;ll flail around for a bit but the attacks are random (not directed at you) and there are a lot of &quot;save zones&quot; in the room.&nbsp; better yet if you are a caster you can sit in a safe zone and never leave the safe zone at the front of the room and it is impossible to lose the fight.

Xevross

well if you beat him the "normal" way on your first try then either you are really good at combat or they nerfed him.   a handful of original players were capable of killing him in 1:1 combat but a vast majority couldn't. i know i couldn't.

Spoiler for Hidden:
he's blind. 

he wears the blindfold in the cut scene and you were supposed to pick up on that clue.  but it was the community clues that got me there.   he can't see you but he can "hear" your armor clinking with deadly accuracy.   the part that makes him really hard is that the more you "dodge" the more relentless his attacks become because he can hear that.  generally speaking you should run out of stamina at which point he destroys you.

if you get naked except for your weapon he's basically helpless because he can't find you.   every time you hit him he'll flail around for a bit but the attacks are random (not directed at you) and there are a lot of "save zones" in the room.  better yet if you are a caster you can sit in a safe zone and never leave the safe zone at the front of the room and it is impossible to lose the fight.

Interesting, well I did have a good build going and got to him pretty late on so that's probably why I managed to beat him first time. Pretty sure they didn't change any of the enemies in terms of their difficulty for the remake.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I did just look it up and apparently the weight of your armor scales with how much he can hear you, with naked obviously being 0 sound. I had extremely light armor on (imperial spy armor set - new and unique to remake) so it was probably close to being naked for the effect you&#39;re talking about and I just got lucky with that.

kitler53

Interesting, well I did have a good build going and got to him pretty late on so that's probably why I managed to beat him first time. Pretty sure they didn't change any of the enemies in terms of their difficulty for the remake.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I did just look it up and apparently the weight of your armor scales with how much he can hear you, with naked obviously being 0 sound. I had extremely light armor on (imperial spy armor set - new and unique to remake) so it was probably close to being naked for the effect you're talking about and I just got lucky with that.

1. that set sounds a bit game breaking. there was no truely light armor set in the original. when I played investment staying above/below the 50% encomberment penalty was a strategic choice that was highly debated. 

it's a bit like the game was designed to play like killzone two but you came in with call of duty gameplay...

2. I feel like you were robbed of one of best parts of demon's souls.  having the community clues helping you figure this out was such a unique experience back in the day. 

Xevross

1. that set sounds a bit game breaking. there was no truely light armor set in the original. when I played investment staying above/below the 50% encomberment penalty was a strategic choice that was highly debated.

it's a bit like the game was designed to play like killzone two but you came in with call of duty gameplay...

2. I feel like you were robbed of one of best parts of demon's souls.  having the community clues helping you figure this out was such a unique experience back in the day.
Yeah I honestly had no idea that armor set was new, I just could tell it was the best set for me when I found it. Keeping light to dodge better while still having good protection is one main tip I read from people before I started playing, and that armor set seemed perfect for that.

the-pi-guy

I wasn't the biggest fan of Shawn Layden at the time, but I think it's sad that Jim Ryan was the one to take over.  

Legend

We need to have more events so we can actually see Sony leadership again. Both Sony and Nintendo have had really large changes.

kitler53

i am mostly opinionless about both jim ryan and shawn layden.  ...at least as people.  i haven't seen them enough or if i have seen them their performances have been mostly unmemorable.

that said, that quote from shawn layden emboddies what i have to date loved about playstation and in more recent times come to criticize.  i have nothing bad to say about playstation studio's big projects like TLoU, Uncharted, GoW, GoT, and various others.   i love these titles and the improvement in sony's AAA games has been immense this last generations.  

...but i really miss the small pet projects.  echochrome.  fat princess.  puppeteer.  (the original) demon's souls.  flower and journey.  the witness.  resogun.  pixal junk shooter.  these kinds of low budget, experimental projects seem to have been pushed aside as of late to focus on high budget AAA.  

i feel like these smaller more niche but also more varied experience really help gaming feel fresh and worth coming back to.  if i only had 1 genre of games to play then i'd burn out and stop gaming (at least for a while) for focus on something else.   sony's AAA are great but they are also a bit samey at least as far as genre is concerned.  3rd person open world can describe pretty much all of sony's AAA first party on ps4.   i can't play them back-to-back-to-back-to-back without getting bored no matter how good they are.

i mean, hades is competing against TLoU2 for GoTY in most places...

Go Up