Facebook accidentally publishes Oculus Quest 2 trailers

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 14, 2020, 11:11 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

nearly 2K x 2K per eye
XR-2 chip
6GB Ram

Legend

That's pretty good. Guess it pays for skipping the first.

kitler53

let me start by saying no marking video should include a phrase like "or if you are a total noobie".   i'm sorry but that word has a very negative connotation and should not be used like in a marketing video.  i was pretty much turned off immediately.

secondly, how bad is the hardware in quest 1?   the gameplay they shouldn't might have been 2k per eye but the game's geometry, textures and such looked terrible.  even worse than psvr which is really old now and wasn't a high bar when it released.

i appreciate "all in one" but not if it means already looking a gen behind.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

let me start by saying no marking video should include a phrase like "or if you are a total noobie".   i'm sorry but that word has a very negative connotation and should not be used like in a marketing video.  i was pretty much turned off immediately.

secondly, how bad is the hardware in quest 1?   the gameplay they shouldn't might have been 2k per eye but the game's geometry, textures and such looked terrible.  even worse than psvr which is really old now and wasn't a high bar when it released.

i appreciate "all in one" but not if it means already looking a gen behind.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the headset.

The GPU on the Quest is likely 1/6th as capable of the PS4.  Desktop GPUs took a bit to be reasonable. Mobile GPUs are a long ways behind (even the 7 year old PS4).

The saving graces are:
-The Quest 2 would likely have support to wirelessly connect to a PC
-something like DLSS would greatly bridge the gap
-foveated rendering.

I would guess 4 years from now, a Quest standalone would be able to compete.

kitler53

It doesn't really have anything to do with the headset.

The GPU on the Quest is likely 1/6th as capable of the PS4.  Desktop GPUs took a bit to be reasonable. Mobile GPUs are a long ways behind (even the 7 year old PS4).

The saving graces are:
-The Quest 2 would likely have support to wirelessly connect to a PC
-something like DLSS would greatly bridge the gap
-foveated rendering.

I would guess 4 years from now, a Quest standalone would be able to compete.
the second video explicitly showed that.

the-pi-guy

the second video explicitly showed that.
When?  
They mention quest link towards the end.

Legend

kitler53

When?  
They mention quest link towards the end.
is the quest link not what we're talking about?  i may have misunderstood you then.

the-pi-guy

is the quest link not what we're talking about?  i may have misunderstood you then.
I said wirelessly.  ;)
 Quest Link is still a wire unfortunately.

nnodley

yeah besides a better screen in quest 2 i think i'll stick with my first gen for now.  Doesn't seems like a big enough jump to get me to upgrade just yet.  I'll likely hold out till quest 3

the-pi-guy

Crazy bit.

Facebook spends more on VR R and D than Sony as a whole spends on all R and D.  

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

Sep 16, 2020, 05:29 PM Last Edit: Sep 16, 2020, 05:38 PM by the-pi-guy
https://www.resetera.com/threads/oculus-quest-2-launches-on-october-13-for-299.287726/
Was waiting for this. The show is today. Should be some game announcements too.

$299 is a crazy good price. Shame it's with FB.

the-pi-guy

FB is pushing hard on standalone VR. Which I expected a couple years ago.  They are dropping PCVR.  

They're showing off Quest as a whole platform right now. It can help with work, with fitness, with gaming. And there's a push for AAA games.