What does Ninty need to do to make you want the NX?

Started by Legend, Jun 27, 2015, 01:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

darkknightkryta

All the need to do is drop the 3rd party fee. Make 3rd parties prefer people buy their games on NX. Gosh it's so simple yet Nintendo won't do it
Like we discussed earlier; Nintendo does that they might as well drop hardware.  There'd be no reason to keep hardware if they don't get licensing money.  I mean, they'd have to make a POS hardware to profit off of.  That alone would keep third parties off the box regardless.  They need to make money off of the hardware or follow the razor blade model.  Razor blade model does't work without licensing money from third parties.  Third parties need matching hardware to care for Nintendo.  That hardware will make Nintendo lose money on the hardware and won't guarantee 3rd party success.  No third party success means Nintendo has to make money off of their own software.  Nintendo doesn't need their own game console to make money off of their software.  See the whole problem Nintendo is in right now?  They put themselves here when they made the Wii.

Legend

Like we discussed earlier; Nintendo does that they might as well drop hardware.  There'd be no reason to keep hardware if they don't get licensing money.  I mean, they'd have to make a POS hardware to profit off of.  That alone would keep third parties off the box regardless.  They need to make money off of the hardware or follow the razor blade model.  Razor blade model does't work without licensing money from third parties.  Third parties need matching hardware to care for Nintendo.  That hardware will make Nintendo lose money on the hardware and won't guarantee 3rd party success.  No third party success means Nintendo has to make money off of their own software.  Nintendo doesn't need their own game console to make money off of their software.  See the whole problem Nintendo is in right now?  They put themselves here when they made the Wii.
Ninty would still take a cut off DLC and microtransactions, which more and more is where the bulk of the money is. Plus Ninty could charge for online. They'd be swimming in cash compared to their current situation.

Dropping hardware would just be stupid unless they stopped making traditional games. Their first party titles currently make 100% of the profit, compared to 70% if they switched to 3rd party.

darkknightkryta

Ninty would still take a cut off DLC and microtransactions, which more and more is where the bulk of the money is. Plus Ninty could charge for online. They'd be swimming in cash compared to their current situation.

Dropping hardware would just be stupid unless they stopped making traditional games. Their first party titles currently make 100% of the profit, compared to 70% if they switched to 3rd party.
You're assuming there are third parties to give microtransactions and DLC to get money off of.  My assumption (A pretty good one) is there won't be third party support.  They won't be making third party licensing money, including DLC.  Nintendo has a dwindling fanbase and you'd have to assume charging for online will make it even smaller.  8 dollars to Sony with their (Nintendo) software consistently selling 10s of millions if not more vs their software selling 5 million max (Which is the current limit for Wii U sales).  I'll say it again, hardware makes no sense unless you can make a profit off of the hardware or licensing money.  Nintendo is in a position where neither is possible.  

Legend

You're assuming there are third parties to give microtransactions and DLC to get money off of.
With a strategy like this, Nintendo would have to screw up incredibly hard to not get third party support.

• Ports are more likely to be profitable. They can sell less while making the publishers more money.
  • Publishers make more money when consumers buy the NX version, so publishers prefer to market the NX version. Selling 2 million on NX and 1 million on PS4 is way more profitable than selling 1 million on NX and 2 million on PS4.
  • Consumers are less likely to buy the NX port if it's gimped, so publishers will make sure it includes all DLC options.
  • Publishers still make their standard amount of money off DLC and microtransactions.

There's really no financial reasons to not give the NX extreme support, and the third parties would stop the system from having poor sales. They'd actively prefer it succeeded over PS4 and XBO.

Nintendo has a dwindling fanbase and you'd have to assume charging for online will make it even smaller.
Yes charging for online will have a negative impact on sales, but the positive impact from 3rd party support would be much larger. Plus it'd be 2016. Everyone is charging for online and Nintendo can get away with it even if their servers suck.

8 dollars to Sony with their (Nintendo) software consistently selling 10s of millions if not more vs their software selling 5 million max (Which is the current limit for Wii U sales).
If the cut was $8 on a retail sale, the publisher is making about $27 per disc. So every sale on PS4 gives them $27 while ever sale on NX gives them $35. No freaking way would publishers be making 3rd party exclusives at launch, I'm not saying that, but they would certainly people bought their games on Nintendo's system.
I'll say it again, hardware makes no sense unless you can make a profit off of the hardware or licensing money.  Nintendo is in a position where neither is possible.  
Hardware makes no sense unless you can make a profit, period. No reason to artificially restrict that to just two options.

7H3

Make a ps4 on steroids
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

kitler53

there probably isn't anything nintendo can do. 

it isn't the hardware that turns me off it is the software.  from the wii series to the overuse of mario to things like starfox,.. nintendo is more than a generation out of date these days.  for fudges sake indies like no mans sky or the witness clearly have far more effort and expertise put into their games.  every nintendo game (sans zelda) feels like a budget title these days and fudge that noise.  

nintendo is a garbage developer these days.  i wouldn't buy a NX at free. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Max King of the Wild

Jun 28, 2015, 03:13 AM Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 03:20 AM by Max King of the Wild
Why are 3rd parties so important even if you have a machine to run them? It's a sign of a healthy viable platform.

What do they have to do for me? Cut the gimmicks. Have a nice comfortable input device designed with games in mind. Have a full retailer game bundled from the start. Start some form of achievement and reward system tied to a user ID of my choice. Third party support. All with a decent power and competitively priced.

Oh and  don't charge online play. I don't play online enough to justify another subscription.

the-pi-guy

It really depends on what the software is like.  
The hardware should be at a price that justifies the software.  If it's similar to Wii U, it should be cheaper, if it manages to do much better it should cost the same as the Wii U.  
Horsepower is nice, but it's not necessary.  To me it doesn't really matter what they do with the hardware as long as they make software to justify it.  If they make some crazy gimmick, that'd be fine as long as they show me that it's awesome.  The problem with gimmicks though, that some companies have, is they don't do anything to justify them.  
Look at motion control
Wii had a few games, but they became forgotten and they didn't really do anything interesting with motion afterwards.  I think this was 1 reason among many why the Wii didn't stick around as long as it [arguably] could've.  
Sony didn't really do anything great with motion controls, aside from some things that Nintendo already did, and to me it seemed like they were heading in the right direction but they messed up.  
Microsoft had some success because they did new stuff too.

3D?
Sony did some stuff, but it's pretty much been dropped.  I think it was too expensive at the time to really be big.  

Wii U gamepad?
They did and are doing some stuff, but there's still untapped potential here and they don't seem to be doing a good job at selling it.  

So if they have a gimmick, they have to show me why it's worthwhile.  The best way to do this is through games.  

Game wise, I feel most of Nintendo is kind of stuck.  They do things in a very certain way.  
Nintendo games kind of exist in a bubble.  
On the brightside, few companies have ever done anything in their bubble.  
Their art style, their quality, their philosophy isn't really done anywhere else.
Could you imagine Sony making a game like Super Mario Bros?
They have similar games, but none with their atmosphere.

On the bad side of things, they haven't done much outside of their bubble.  
Could Nintendo make a game like Uncharted?  The Last of Us?  Bloodborne? inFamous?  Halo?

To get me to buy NX, Nintendo would need to make more games, new games, bring back their old classics and great games they haven't touched in a while.  

Where's Super Mario RPG 2?  Where's Super Mario Galaxy 3?  Where's all the crazy new IPs?  

BananaKing

sack iwata, myamoto and reggie and then we can talk about what they could do.

Legend

Well they didn't listen.

Did it work though?

darkknightkryta

Well they didn't listen.

Did it work though?
We won't find out for another year probably.

BasilZero

As long as they make Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pokemon, and Kirby games I'm always gonna buy their systems.

Of course I'm gonna give them two years before I buy a system from them - same with all other companies.
I still stand by what I said two years ago :P

Go Up