Analyst Predicts $299 Slim, $399 Neo

Started by SWORDF1SH, Aug 31, 2016, 02:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

SWORDF1SH

Though the PS4 Neo price and PS4 Slim price have yet to be officially revealed, high-profile Jefferies analyst, Atul Goyal, who often speculates about Sony affairs, has made a solid prediction.
Wall Street reporter Takashi Mochizuki has taken to Twitter to reveal that Goyal has predicted that the PS4 Neo cost to consumers will be $399, while the PS4 Slim will be priced at $299.

Follow
Takashi Mochizuki

✔@mochi_wsj
Jefferies' Atul Goyal says PS4 Neo at $399 and PS4 Slim at $299. Thoughts?

7:08 AM - 31 Aug 2016

Source  PS4 Neo price: analyst predicts same cost as original PS4 model, PS4 Slim price same as Xbox One S

Not too far fetched. I predicted $299 and $449 but without any solid specs for the Neo, it's a little harder to guess.

kitler53

Not too far fetched. I predicted $299 and $449 but without any solid specs for the Neo, it's a little harder to guess.
this, imo, is more realistic. 

i have a hard time believing that sony drops the price by $100 when they are the market leader.  they'll want to get as much profit as possible and $300 will sell just as good as $250 for the next year.

i do, however, expected holiday sales that bring ps4 down to $250 in limited availability.

i originally would have though $400 for neo but rumors seems to suggest that sony upped the specs a bit since the first run in response to scorpio.  i think $450 is more likely and that will be sold at a loss and that is also why ps+ went up by $10.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Neo could go either way imo.

On one hand, they could charge $450 and make bank for a year. Then when Scorpio releases, they could do a $100 price cut and really appear competitive.

On the other hand, I have five fingers Neo is competing against XBO S on the 4K market. Even though XBO S can only do 4K media, millions of people will buy it just for that reason. Neo needs to be close enough that the difference in price is minimal. $399.

SWORDF1SH

Aug 31, 2016, 04:04 PM Last Edit: Aug 31, 2016, 04:06 PM by SWORDF1SH
this, imo, is more realistic.  

i have a hard time believing that sony drops the price by $100 when they are the market leader.  they'll want to get as much profit as possible and $300 will sell just as good as $250 for the next year.

i do, however, expected holiday sales that bring ps4 down to $250 in limited availability.

i originally would have though $400 for neo but rumors seems to suggest that sony upped the specs a bit since the first run in response to scorpio.  i think $450 is more likely and that will be sold at a loss and that is also why ps+ went up by $10.
Yes, pricing a console also takes into account the services they can sell per console sold. PS Plus is the biggest service sold for the PS4 so yeah, the reason for a PS Plus price increase could definitely be to offset loses or low profit from the Neo.

Neo could go either way imo.

On one hand, they could charge $450 and make bank for a year. Then when Scorpio releases, they could do a $100 price cut and really appear competitive.

On the other hand, I have five fingers Neo is competing against XBO S on the 4K market. Even though XBO S can only do 4K media, millions of people will buy it just for that reason. Neo needs to be close enough that the difference in price is minimal. $399.
$400 could mean we get the lower end of the rumored specs.

Legend

$400 could mean we get the lower end of the rumored specs.
Even though most people take them to be fact, so many Neo "leaks" are just fans desperate for it to be closer to Scorpio.

I'd be incredibly incredibly shocked if things changed this close to last minute besides a small upclock here and there.

SWORDF1SH

Aug 31, 2016, 05:39 PM Last Edit: Aug 31, 2016, 06:53 PM by SWORDF1SH Reason: Auto correct typo
Even though most people take them to be fact, so many Neo "leaks" are just fans desperate for it to be closer to Scorpio.

I'd be incredibly incredibly shocked if things changed this close to last minute besides a small upclock here and there.
The 5.5 is probably bull shame but Giant Bomb reported these specs

Legend

The 5.5 is probably bull shame but Giant Bomb reported these specs

Well there's a mistake in the PS4 column for memory bandwidth ;)

Kotaku and Eurogamer also reported those specs.

SWORDF1SH

Well there's a mistake in the PS4 column for memory bandwidth ;)

Kotaku and Eurogamer also reported those specs.
Yeah I got the image from kotaku but they credited Giant Bomb