Xbox is staying out of VR hardware

Started by Legend, Oct 19, 2021, 03:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Xbox is staying out of the VR hardware space, says Spencer | VGC

On one hand it makes sense. Xbox wants to treat xbox as a pc equivalent. On the other hand though, there is so much potential for a vr headset that is vertically integrated.

BananaKing

Just another way PS will be superior to xbox.

the-pi-guy

On the one hand, good to not have yet another headset.  

On the other hand, it'd be nice if they partnered with someone else. But I'd imagine that no one else would really want to split up their ecosystem. (I wonder if that's what happened with the "VR headset" that MS promised in 2016. Maybe they couldn't get a deal with Facebook that they were happy about.) Which would largely leave MS's other division with their mixed reality platform. But they don't seem all that interested in a VR experience, instead looking more into AR.

A bit of a shame. Oculus Quest is a genuinely good headset, and PSVR2 looks like it will be even better.

kitler53

On the one hand, good to not have yet another headset.  

On the other hand, it'd be nice if they partnered with someone else. But I'd imagine that no one else would really want to split up their ecosystem. (I wonder if that's what happened with the "VR headset" that MS promised in 2016. Maybe they couldn't get a deal with Facebook that they were happy about.) Which would largely leave MS's other division with their mixed reality platform. But they don't seem all that interested in a VR experience, instead looking more into AR.

A bit of a shame. Oculus Quest is a genuinely good headset, and PSVR2 looks like it will be even better.
1. at this time VR is small enough to easily ignore.  I don't know exactly what psvr sold but I'd bet it was well under half of Kinect. 

2. if VR ever takes off I guarantee MS finds a way to enter.. probably via a partner. 

3. MS doesn't seem that committed to AR either.  my company has hololens for show (we are a MS partner) but there is no serious initiative to figure it out.  our hololens team is like 5 out of 10,000.  all of the real effort is on azure which we have at least 500 developers in that space. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

1. at this time VR is small enough to easily ignore.  I don't know exactly what psvr sold but I'd bet it was well under half of Kinect.

2. if VR ever takes off I guarantee MS finds a way to enter.. probably via a partner.
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, it's just personally disappointing.

I've been a big believer that VR/AR will go big eventually, just that it's been 5-10 years out. And I think we are getting close to that.  

Oculus Quest 2 is what I think VR should have started as, it's wildly better than first gen VR.

I think Sony and Facebook will have a big jump on MS with established VR ecosystems.  

3. MS doesn't seem that committed to AR either.  my company has hololens for show (we are a MS partner) but there is no serious initiative to figure it out.  our hololens team is like 5 out of 10,000.  all of the real effort is on azure which we have at least 500 developers in that space.
Ironically other companies have built more notable VR headsets on the mixed reality platform.