We did a game jam! Come see the results!!!

Started by Legend, Sep 20, 2021, 08:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

nnodley

Ah gotcha. I just figured since most game jams are collabs.  That's me fault. Lol. But still I'll see what I come up with. I Got a bunch of starter content I can work with from the unreal marketplace. You guys have the upper hand for any type of gameplay since you have coding experience

Legend

Ah gotcha. I just figured since most game jams are collabs.  That's me fault. Lol. But still I'll see what I come up with. I Got a bunch of starter content I can work with from the unreal marketplace. You guys have the upper hand for any type of gameplay since you have coding experience
Well I'm glad Pi asked!

Didn't think it could really be a game jam if there is only one entry haha. (plus I always default to ludum dare which originally didn't allow teams)

the-pi-guy

I figure i'll mostly be doing most of the modelling and texturing.  
I was just wondering if I was confused due to this.   ;D

Or does this mean that Nnodley is helping me on my project?

Legend

So what are people thinking for their games?

I'm prob gonna do a simple racing game with wacky gravity mechanics like super mario galaxy.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

a hyper realistic card game.  it requires real cards...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

Thinking i might just do some sort of side scroller where you just collect something to unlock the door at the end and win the game!

the-pi-guy

Wifey is working on Saturday, which cuts down on how much time I'll have this weekend.  :'(

Legend

The thing I worry about the most is car handling. I have zero experience with that and it could cut into my time pretty badly.

Planet gravity is easy. Just have an "attractor" component that on enable adds itself to a list and on disable removes itself. A second component goes on each rigidbody that disables Unity gravity and every fixed update calculates its own gravity.

I want a city planet that's pretty large with repeating buildings, a moon with craters, a nature planet that maybe has a volcano shooting out asteroids, and maybe a flat planet. I'm thinking of a sm64 art style so it'll be quick. I can whip up a really bad star skybox in gimp or I can just find a free one. For atmospheres I'll just do the super lazy hack of putting a bunch of concentric spheres with a transparent shader. I'll prob have to mess with lighting probes though which is yucky.

Not planning on having any planets move. Takes extra work and could feel really bad to drive on unless I put in a lot more work.

Prob won't have any goal. Just free drive. My bonus concept if I have time is to add other cars and alien creatures that you can drive into, knocking them into space.

If I have time to juice it up I'll put in skid marks. I'd also like to put a super basic rocket on the back of the car with a cooldown. That way the player can't get stuck in space.

Will find a jammin song online prob using the same website I used for twisty puzzle simulator. I might be lazy and not have any sound effects.

Gonna call the game N-body Racing. Will whip up the ugliest logo you have ever seen.

Wifey is working on Saturday, which cuts down on how much time I'll have this weekend.  :'(
I'm only planning on working a half day each day. If you need it though feel free to put in some extra work on Monday to make up any difference. We have very lax rules here haha.

the-pi-guy

nnodley

Lol I like it.

Yeah I feel like we could always tack an extra weekend on if we all end up not having as much time as we think.  I'm not too worried about it.  Try and get as much done this weekend though.

No clue what i'm gonna call mine.  I'm likely gonna use some of these rocks i retextured but i'll have to port to UE 4.27 since i can make builds in UE 4

I'm think I'll just have like 5 or so keys(or something) that you have to collect to then unlock the blockade/door at the end. Might expand on it if i think of something else.  Since i have more experience with environment world building more than creating gameplay. Gotta keep that simple as i can.

Legend

Looking forward to seeing N-body racing on Steam.  :o
Well I'm looking forward to your pong like game on steam! Now that you just have to pay $100, you can avoid steam greenlight which sucked.

Lol I like it.

Yeah I feel like we could always tack an extra weekend on if we all end up not having as much time as we think.  I'm not too worried about it.  Try and get as much done this weekend though.

No clue what i'm gonna call mine.  I'm likely gonna use some of these rocks i retextured but i'll have to port to UE 4.27 since i can make builds in UE 4

I'm think I'll just have like 5 or so keys(or something) that you have to collect to then unlock the blockade/door at the end. Might expand on it if i think of something else.  Since i have more experience with environment world building more than creating gameplay. Gotta keep that simple as i can.
Being able to share a playable build of your game is cool but it's not required. If you'd rather share it in video form that's perfectly fine.

Your gameplay kinda sounds like Adventure!

nnodley

Well I'm looking forward to your pong like game on steam! Now that you just have to pay $100, you can avoid steam greenlight which sucked.

Being able to share a playable build of your game is cool but it's not required. If you'd rather share it in video form that's perfectly fine.

Your gameplay kinda sounds like Adventure!
eh i mean i could keep it all UE5 but we'll see.  I do like having pretty much instantly good lighting with Lumen.

Legend

It's past midnight on the east coast so feel free to start working whenever it fits your schedule. I might work a little bit tonight since I tend to go to sleep really late.

Also it's not a requirement but I'll share screenshot updates throughout the weekend.

Go Up