Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Amazon UK charts after PS5 launch day, updates from a few days ago.

Yearly:

#11 PS5 (-3)
#48 XSX (-)
#78 DualSense (re-entry)
#83 Miles Morales PS5 (new)

November:

#7 DualSense (-5)
#14 PS5 (new)
#15 XS controller blue (+4)
#21 XSX (+5)
#43 XS controller white (-)
#47 XSS (+18)

I put Miles on the yearly chart to demonstrate its the first PS5 game to show up in the yearly top sellers. All 3 SKUs of Miles (PS4, PS5 and PS5 Ultimate) are selling well.

Looks like the PS5 launch day stock allocation was a fair bit bigger than Series X's launch stock. If amazon is any indication, PS5 launch was a lot bigger than SX in the UK.

Dr. Pezus

Amazon UK charts after PS5 launch day, updates from a few days ago.

Yearly:

#11 PS5 (-3)
#48 XSX (-)
#78 DualSense (re-entry)
#83 Miles Morales PS5 (new)

November:

#7 DualSense (-5)
#14 PS5 (new)
#15 XS controller blue (+4)
#21 XSX (+5)
#43 XS controller white (-)
#47 XSS (+18)

I put Miles on the yearly chart to demonstrate its the first PS5 game to show up in the yearly top sellers. All 3 SKUs of Miles (PS4, PS5 and PS5 Ultimate) are selling well.

Looks like the PS5 launch day stock allocation was a fair bit bigger than Series X's launch stock. If amazon is any indication, PS5 launch was a lot bigger than SX in the UK.
Wait, -3 means it went up?

Xevross

Yes, that's how we've always done Amazon charts. It's the change in the number.

Miles sold just a bit more digital than physical first week in the UK, so over 170k debut total. Pretty good!

the-pi-guy

14+(-3)=11

It's not so difficult!   ;D

Dr. Pezus

Yes, that's how we've always done Amazon charts. It's the change in the number.

Miles sold just a bit more digital than physical first week in the UK, so over 170k debut total. Pretty good!
For some reason I've been thinking it in reverse the past few posts lol. Now I understand better

Any ps4/ps5 split info on that digital? Lulz

Xevross

For some reason I've been thinking it in reverse the past few posts lol. Now I understand better

Any ps4/ps5 split info on that digital? Lulz
We definitely had a debate on this thread a few years ago about which way to do it and settled on this way  ;D

Unfortunately not, all we know is it sold slightly better in total digitally than physically last week. I expect week 2 to be a very small drop for the game.

Xevross

Here's the full digital UK report: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-11-20-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-was-the-real-no-1-last-week-uk-digital-charts

COD is "comfortably" #1 when Digital is included, Digital up 39% YoY so COD is only down 16% YoY overall.

AC Valhalla digital sales are up 200% from Odyssey, with digital outselling Odyssey's combined physical and digital first week sales. That means Odyssey > 225k total first week.

And correction on Spidey, it seems like the guy who posted on Era got it wrong. Only PS4 digital was counted last week and it was PS4 digital which sold narrowly more than PS4 digital. So that's about 110k total sales with a split of: ~60k PS5 physical, ~25k PS4 digital, ~24k PS4 physical. I'm hoping with PS5 launch week and digital to come it'll be over 200k by the end of this week.

Xevross

Nov 21, 2020, 10:38 AM Last Edit: Nov 21, 2020, 10:45 AM by Xevross
That article gives enough info to actually solve some simultaneous equations and work out all the sales of each year. Here's the data:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Physical ~362.000
Digital ~314.000
Total ~676.000

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Physical ~130.000

PS4 ~51.200
XBO ~44.700
PS5 ~22.300
XBS ~11.800

Digital ~436.000
XBO+XBS ~240.000
PS4 ~196.000

Total ~566.000
XBO+XBS ~297.000
PS4 ~247.000
PS5 ~22.000 (phyiscal 1 week early pre-orders only)

COD went from a 46% digital share to a 77% digital share of first week sales in one year. With PS5's launch week sales included, there might only be a very small decline YoY overall.

Legend

The digital PS5 was a genius move. Seemingly now for 3 out of 4 gamers, the consoles are $499 vs $399 just like the start of last gen.

I'm sticking with my prediction that next gen systems after PS5 will be only digital. An official usb disc drive will be sold for backwards compatibility and for the few regions that still offer physical games.

kitler53

The digital PS5 was a genius move. Seemingly now for 3 out of 4 gamers, the consoles are $499 vs $399 just like the start of last gen.

I'm sticking with my prediction that next gen systems after PS5 will be only digital. An official usb disc drive will be sold for backwards compatibility and for the few regions that still offer physical games.
i'm going to come out agaisnt your prediction.  

an external disc drive is very "unconsole" like.  its needlessly complicated for the user and i don't see it being all that cost saving for sony either.  imo it is probably cheaper to tack on a disc drive to the console like ps5 did then to sell the it as a stand alone device. 

either next gen is fully discless or it is supported the same as this gen except instead of the disc sku seeing higher demand the discless sku sees higher demand. i can definetly see the discless sku being marketed as the lead platform though. 

also what is your evidence that ps5/XS are viewed as $400 and $500?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i'm going to come out agaisnt your prediction.  

an external disc drive is very "unconsole" like.  its needlessly complicated for the user and i don't see it being all that cost saving for sony either.  imo it is probably cheaper to tack on a disc drive to the console like ps5 did then to sell the it as a stand alone device.

either next gen is fully discless or it is supported the same as this gen except instead of the disc sku seeing higher demand the discless sku sees higher demand. i can definetly see the discless sku being marketed as the lead platform though.

also what is your evidence that ps5/XS are viewed as $400 and $500?

Consoles already have awkward accessories that are unconsole like. Plus the 360 literally had exactly what I'm suggesting, just for a different purpose.

Making the disc drive a separate device would make it simpler for most users imo. We're talking ~2027 here, a full 14 years after gamers could go 100% digital. Many younger players will have never even touched a disc.

Offer a disc drive in America just for collectors essentially and offer it in other markets that still use discs.

My evidence is Xev's post. COD was 77% digital first week, or around 3/4. It's reductive but if most people buy their games digitally, then most people will be fine with the digital PS5.

Xevross

UK sales journo says PS5 was likely the biggest console launch in history but he hasn't seen full numbers for UK yet, he should get them later today. He also says he's seen the numbers for some other markets and they are "much bigger than PS4".

Seems like Sony have indeed prioritized xbox competitive markets with this launch.

Dr. Pezus

UK sales journo says PS5 was likely the biggest console launch in history but he hasn't seen full numbers for UK yet, he should get them later today. He also says he's seen the numbers for some other markets and they are "much bigger than PS4".

Seems like Sony have indeed prioritized xbox competitive markets with this launch.
Wouldn't be surprised.

Many here on fb and the like are scrambling for PS5s lol. Wondering why they can't find them in stores. Many offering a lot of money to get a used one before Christmas.
I saw stores here actually had a lot of systems preordered, I was especially surprised by one small retailer here that showed a picture.

Xevross

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is PS5's biggest launch game as Call of Duty grabs No.1 | UK Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

AC Valhalla down to #4 after a 70% drop WOW in sales, down to about 45k.

Miles's first two week physical sales are 57% down from 2018 game. Spider-Man sold 300k in its first two weeks, so Miles is now at ~129k, so sold about 45k in its second week down about 46%, not quite as good as I was expecting. Still, Spidey being neck and neck with AC this week is a great sign for it.

Also another note, Dirt 5 broke back into the top 40 this week at no. 28. Despite the xbox launch last week and its marketing heavily tied into XSX, it dropped out of the top 40. PS5 launch this week was much better for it, with the PS5 version accounting for 72% of its sales.

BananaKing

Miles won't do as good as the original spidey. But so far it's doing great. Man are sony making crazy cash out of this deal with marvel.

Go Up