Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

PS4 was obviously much more weird than Xbox and PS5 is too. PS4 launch looked like:

Week 1:

NA ~1.1M

Week 3:

UK -250k
Europe rest ~420k
Rest of world ~130k

Total from launches ~1.9M
Total after second launch =2.1M (due to ~200k extra sales in NA)

PS5 is basically launching in the same countries as PS4 plus a few Asian countries. Auz and NZ move to week 1 instead of being the second launch and Japan, SK and Singapore are also week 1. So here's my estimate for PS5:

Week 1:

NA ~1.25M
Rest ~225k

Week 2:

UK ~275k
Europe rest ~475k
Rest of world ~125k

Total launches ~2.35M
Total after 2 weeks ~2.5M

Could be way off with some of those but hey ho, this was just for fun. I think I'll be close overall. Its total after 3 weeks will be >3M, well ahead of PS4's 2.1M.

Xevross

UK charts this week:

1. AC Valhalla
2. COD
3. Miles

The hype for COD seems nowhere this year and AC has a lot of hype connected to next gen. This is the order that amazon pointed to as well.

Dr. Pezus

UK charts this week:

1. AC Valhalla
2. COD
3. Miles

The hype for COD seems nowhere this year and AC has a lot of hype connected to next gen. This is the order that amazon pointed to as well.
Vikings rule!

Xevross

Probably xbox Valhalla, PS4 Valhalla then PS5 Miles.

Dr. Pezus

Probably xbox Valhalla, PS4 Valhalla then PS5 Miles.
That's crazy

Xevross

Nov 15, 2020, 07:54 PM Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 08:04 PM by Xevross

Lol, pretty big.

AC doubled to ~150k physical sales. That's a big launch. Also means COD did less than half of last year.

Edit:

Well there ya go.

Xevross

Nov 15, 2020, 08:11 PM Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 08:34 PM by Xevross
So UK physical:

1. AC Valhalla ~150k
2. COD Black Ops Cold War ~125k
3. Spidey Miles 84k

What a dramatic decline for Call of Duty physical sales.

Full article: Assassin's Creed Valhalla beats Call of Duty in race for No.1 | UK Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. 42% of the game's sales came on PS4, and 18% came on PS5, despite the latter machine not coming out in the UK until next week. The rest of the sales (40%) came with the Xbox version.
The third best-selling game was the new Spider-Man: Miles Morales, the successor to 2018's hit Marvel's Spider-Man. Boxed sales of this new game are 56% lower than the original, although it's worth noting that Miles Morales is not billed as a full sequel to that game, but rather a shorter spin-off (and again, we will need to consider the impact of digital sales).
It is, however, billed as one of the big launch games for PlayStation 5, and 71% of its sales were for the new console (with 29% of sales coming on PS4). We'll get a better picture of its debut performance once the PS5 actually launches in the UK next week.
Other PS5 games in the charts include Demon's Souls at No.6, Sackboy: A Big Adventure at No.13 and Godfall at No.16. Demon's Souls and Godfall are only on PS5, whereas Sackboy saw 89% of sales coming on the PS5 version, with the remainder on PS4. Again, this is all just boxed games data.
That's quite a decent amount of PS5 software. 27k from AC Valhalla, 60k from Spidey with lots of others charting well. Also PS4 beating the combined xbox Valhalla is unexpected. 60/40 sales split in favour of PS despite the xbox marketing.

790,000 boxed games were sold in the UK last week, a rise of 96% week-on-week.
So ~150k physical PS5 game sales.

Xevross

New info added to article:

39% of Call of Duty's sales came on PS4, 34% was for the Xbox One version, 17% for the PS5 SKU and 9% for the Xbox Series-only version.
One of the only games we can see a Series X split due to not using smart delivery. And that's not the best look for it, PS5 almost double despite not being out yet.

Legend

New info added to article:
One of the only games we can see a Series X split due to not using smart delivery. And that's not the best look for it, PS5 almost double despite not being out yet.
That's funky. Does it feel like xbox series has lower demand right now in the uk? Lower supply?

Xevross

That's funky. Does it feel like xbox series has lower demand right now in the uk? Lower supply?
Well it doesn't feel like anything since I'm just stuck at home and shops are closed, but every indication we have is that PS5 launch will be a lot bigger than Series launch, perhaps roughly double, so this lines up. COD was just weird because you'd expect PS5 sales for games next week to drop way less than every other version, or even grow. So PS5 software being double series sales this week is big and more than expected.

I suppose about 1/3 of series sales are the S which will have 0 physical sales, and PS5 digital share will probably be lower than that, so that might be causing the discrepancy in physical sales.

Dr. Pezus

That's crazy software. Will be interesting to see how spidey, DS do next week with the full launch. I'm sure they could both go up

Xevross

That's crazy software. Will be interesting to see how spidey, DS do next week with the full launch. I'm sure they could both go up
Spidey debut on PS5 was already pretty huge, I don't think it can go up from there. Demons Souls could but it's not that high on Amazon charts.

Spidey PS4 is looking like the hot item for this week in the UK. I think Spidey overall is going to have amazing legs.

Xevross

Starting to get some tidbits from Japan as a few major retailers release their own weekly rankings: no PS5 games in the top 10 in debut week, seems like total PS5 software units are about 60% of hardware. Still looking like a roughly 100k HW launch in Japan.

Xevross

Nov 16, 2020, 12:34 PM Last Edit: Nov 16, 2020, 12:43 PM by Xevross
Thought I'd update amazon US since there's been a couple of interesting changes. Basically just seeing what DualSense has been up to as no consoles have come in stock.

Yearly:

#35 PS5 (-)
#56 DualSense (-17)
#58 XSX (+2)

November:

#4 DualSense (-)
#11 PS5 (+4)
#40 PS5d (+12)
#41 XS controller blue (-4)
#61 XSS (+20)
#77 XS controller white

Yeah, DualSense has now outsold series X on amazon US. Interesting. Series X also still hasn't had a restock in November.

Xevross

Nov 16, 2020, 12:41 PM Last Edit: Nov 16, 2020, 12:43 PM by Xevross
Amazon UK charts since my last update way back after the PS5 second round. PS5 hasn't had any more stock since then, Series X just got some after launch and Series S has had a steady drip.

Yearly:

#14 PS5 (+7)
#48 XSX (+1)

November:

#11 XS controller blue
#12 DualSense
#16 XSX
#29 XSS
#43 XS controller white

Go Up