The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

kitler53

dof is degrees of freedom with motion.  

Technically the numbers can refer to any axes.  
In the VR space, the general measurement is that 3 refers to rotational tracking and 6 is rotational + positional tracking.  

Most headsets support 6dof.  Oculus Go and GearVR were the notable examples that didn't.

It's notable in this case because the headset is so small, last year's version only support rotational tracking.  
you know what...  i was thing FoV not DoF and i was all like "wtf does 6 mean".    your answer make much more sense now that i realize i'm an idiot.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

you know what...  i was thing FoV not DoF and i was all like "wtf does 6 mean".    your answer make much more sense now that i realize i'm an idiot.
You're fine. ::P
The fact that it's 6dof isn't a super big deal, just a good bit of progress with Panasonic's headset.  

the-pi-guy

kitler53

the-pi-guy

If and when I get my PC finished and working.  

I want to think about getting a new VR headset.  

Quest 2 is an easy option quality and price wise, but I don't know.

Legend

the-pi-guy

What resolution do we think PSVR 2 will be capable of hitting?

Part of me is worried because 10 Gbps isn't a lot for uncompressed video, of course compressed video can go quite a bit further.

Legend

What resolution do we think PSVR 2 will be capable of hitting?

Part of me is worried because 10 Gbps isn't a lot for uncompressed video, of course compressed video can go quite a bit further.
I haven't looked into anything so I can talk, yay!

Are we expecting it to use usb c? Could use hdmi like ps4.

the-pi-guy

I haven't looked into anything so I can talk, yay!

Are we expecting it to use usb c? Could use hdmi like ps4.
I dont expect another breakout box.

It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.
I can't imagine not wanting to keep a connection to the TV.

USB C seems like the next logical connection. 

10 Gbps = 24 bits per pixel * 120 hz * x * y

Assuming that math is right, weird overhead would mean it's wrong, but something better than 1080p looks possible. 

(And it looks like HDMI has a lot of overhead, so I don't know).

Another possibility is connecting to USB C and USB A on the front, and apparently USB C has a different operating mode.  Instead of two lanes supporting 10 Gbps in opposite directions, it sounds like it can be used like a single 20 Gbps lane. 

But I don't know if the PS5 supports that. 

So it could range from barely being an upgrade to possibly being a great upgrade. 

And someone more knowledgeable than me, should be able to say where it would likely end up. 

Legend

On a similar note, how is wireless vr coming along? Could PS5 stream directly to the headset? I remember it having a newer wi fi system than xbox or something.

the-pi-guy

On a similar note, how is wireless vr coming along? Could PS5 stream directly to the headset? I remember it having a newer wi fi system than xbox or something.
Wifi 6 would have slightly lower bandwidth than USB C, in practice it would get a smaller portion of the theoretical bandwidth.  

Air Link is launching on Quest 2 with similar wifi capabilities. So it is possible.

the-pi-guy

A rumor claims PSVR 2 will have a resolution of 4000x2040, with foveated rendering.

A little bit odd to me:
A big VR dev (one of their games was published by Valve) was particularly bothered by this leak.  

Totally understandable to be bothered by a leak, but when there's a lot of reason to doubt the leak, I think not saying anything is more likely to make the rumor go away in the first place.  This is far from the first rumor like this.  

the-pi-guy

VIVE Pro 2 Overview | VIVE United States
Vive Pro 2
$799
2448x2448 per eye
120 fov
120 Hz display

Wireless adapter: *VIVE Wireless Adapter supports 2448 x 1224 resolution and 90Hz refresh rate when used with VIVE Pro 2. 3264 x 1632 resolution support coming soon.

SWORDF1SH

kitler53

Go Up