Started by Xevross, Oct 27, 2020, 12:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Xevross

Oct 27, 2020, 12:12 PM Last Edit: Oct 27, 2020, 12:22 PM by Xevross
Here's a video showing PS5 next to lots of consoles:

Some pics comparing to SX:

Xevross

I have to say, the PS5 next to the XSX doesn't look as big as expected and it just looks so much nicer.

That's a gorgeous looking next gen console, the XSX is just a frickin block.

nnodley

i can't wait to unbox mine when it comes!

kitler53

I have to say, the PS5 next to the XSX doesn't look as big as expected and it just looks so much nicer.

That's a gorgeous looking next gen console, the XSX is just a frickin block.
really?  it looks bigger than I was expecting.   ps5 is massive.  frankly i'd pay the extra $5 to upgrade that cooling system to eliminate that massive heat sink to get a smaller size.

but it does look good.  especially when stood up.  i'll still put mine on the side because i can't put mine up but waaay better than xbox.   don't get me wrong,.. i could care less about the xbox design itself.  it will disappear nicely in a cabinet but it is sooo boring.  i posted this before but i stand by it still,.. this is what I think about xbox:

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

man that controller looks soooo good!

the-pi-guy

really?  it looks bigger than I was expecting.   ps5 is massive.  frankly i'd pay the extra $5 to upgrade that cooling system to eliminate that massive heat sink to get a smaller size.
There are a couple of issues:
-negative space with curves and fins.
-Split motherboard on the XSX reduces the apparent size quite a bit.

The actual size of the main console (minus the negative space) is about the same as the XSX.  They just opted for cheaper

kitler53

There are a couple of issues:
-negative space with curves and fins.
-Split motherboard on the XSX reduces the apparent size quite a bit.

The actual size of the main console (minus the negative space) is about the same as the XSX.  They just opted for cheaper
i'm not really complaining all that hard.  just like with xbox the looks of the console is not really a concern for me.  a fun thing to talk about pre-release but once it's under the tv i just don't care.   except for wii all my consoles are black and they completely disappear in my black shelving unit.

...but from what I saw the xbox and ps5 design is highly influensed by the fan.   for xbox they put the fan perpendicular to the mother board and that is what gives is that massively square shape.  for the ps5 they put it parallel and that is what adds the extra 3-4 inches in height (or width depending on your orientation).  

if you subtract the massive fan and heat sink on ps5 and replace it with liquid cooling the unit could probably be about half the size.   

kitler53

i have a break between meetings so i'm watching an unboxing now...

my first thought is that box is beyond massive and the retail space dedicated to gaming at places like target and walmart will not accommodate that box size.   i'm certain it's too big.  I wonder if they'll have to keep them in back like they do with tvs.   

Legend

I have no clue where I will put my series x and ps5. Prob will have them on top of the entertainment cabinet for a few months.

Series X looks so bad horizontally and PS5 might not fit.

Dr. Pezus

I have no clue where I will put my series x and ps5. Prob will have them on top of the entertainment cabinet for a few months.

Series X looks so bad horizontally and PS5 might not fit.
PS5 on the floor?

Xevross

really?  it looks bigger than I was expecting.   ps5 is massive.  frankly i'd pay the extra $5 to upgrade that cooling system to eliminate that massive heat sink to get a smaller size.

but it does look good.  especially when stood up.  i'll still put mine on the side because i can't put mine up but waaay better than xbox.   don't get me wrong,.. i could care less about the xbox design itself.  it will disappear nicely in a cabinet but it is sooo boring.  i posted this before but i stand by it still,.. this is what I think about xbox:

I mean PS5 is massive and we knew it was, we sam some ridiculous renders trying to show it next to Series X that all overestimated how big it was. So now actually seeing it, its bigger but not THAT much bigger. And its smallest dimension being much smaller helps a lot.
i have a break between meetings so i'm watching an unboxing now...

my first thought is that box is beyond massive and the retail space dedicated to gaming at places like target and walmart will not accommodate that box size.   i'm certain it's too big.  I wonder if they'll have to keep them in back like they do with tvs.  
Do they not do that in America anyway? Wtf? Here in the UK there's no console sitting out there, you pick up a display box and take it to the counter to get a real one.

the-pi-guy

Do they not do that in America anyway? Wtf? Here in the UK there's no console sitting out there, you pick up a display box and take it to the counter to get a real one.
Depends on the store. 

The Walmart here has a locked case where you have to ask for someone to get it for you.
The Sam's Club has these little cardboard sheets that you take to the counter.
I think the gamestop here has a display box, where you take the box to the counter and get the system. But I've never bought there so I cant be sure.

kitler53

like Pi said,.. locked display cases for a majority of the stores like target and wallmart and best buy.  results may vary but that is the majority case imo.   

...unless it is black friday.  then they just dump the entire pallet on the floor.

Xevross

Seems like Astro's playroom is a really good game in its own right, I can't wait to play it.