Destruction AllStars delayed to February but will be free PS Plus game for two months

Started by Xevross, Oct 26, 2020, 03:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Xevross

If PS5's launch was looking empty this would be bad, but its a crazy launch without this anyway so its not much of a loss.

As for the game itself, it was going to get buried in November but now it will shine and PS Plus launch is absolutely the right call, it could be this gen's rocket league now.

DerNebel

You're welcome guys.

the-pi-guy

Good call.  

I think it has potential to be a really good game.  But not a successful one at $70. So this is a good move.

Xevross

Good call.  

I think it has potential to be a really good game.  But not a successful one at $70. So this is a good move.
Yeah I don't think I'd have gotten round to playing this until february anyway with the ridiculous list of games coming out in the next month, so a 3 month delay is no problem at all. And like I said its definitely a good thing for the game and for PS5, as long as PS5 has a good couple of PS plus games at launch already.

A Rocket League style success can't really happen with a launch game imo, its too crowded and too low an install base to start with.

Legend

This is probably the best thing that ever happened to the game. Now it has a shot of being closer to Rocket League than Bleeding Edge.

Wonder what will happen to the launch bundles that included it. I almost had this game from the only gamestop bundle I could buy.

Xevross

This is probably the best thing that ever happened to the game. Now it has a shot of being closer to Rocket League than Bleeding Edge.

Wonder what will happen to the launch bundles that included it. I almost had this game from the only gamestop bundle I could buy.
Says that pre-orders will be refunded, I imagine with bundles it'll just be removed and $70 given back.

PS5 is going to have such an insane 2021, I can't see it getting in good stock until much later in the year, if at all. This and Ratchet are a great way to start the year then it keeps coming with mega hitters like Horizon, GT7 and GOW2 after that.

kitler53

i am clearly late to this party but like 10 posts.  ...and here i thought i'd be making the thread.

fantastic news.  

i'll bet sony looked at the pre-order numbers and realized no one was going to buy it.   the game looks like it might be fantastic but i'd never play $70 for a game that quite likely will have a dead community as everyone else would (like me) have reservations in buying it for fears of a dead community.

I'm not so certain of this phrasing though:

where it will be included for two months in PlayStation Plus at no additional cost. 
Is the game free so long as I claim it in those 2 months?   or is it free only for the months of feburary and march and then I need to buy it to keep playing?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

i am clearly late to this party but like 10 posts.  ...and here i thought i'd be making the thread.

fantastic news.  

i'll bet sony looked at the pre-order numbers and realized no one was going to buy it.   the game looks like it might be fantastic but i'd never play $70 for a game that quite likely will have a dead community as everyone else would (like me) have reservations in buying it for fears of a dead community.

I'm not so certain of this phrasing though:

Is the game free so long as I claim it in those 2 months?   or is it free only for the months of feburary and march and then I need to buy it to keep playing?

I was definitely thinking the same, it wasn't shown well enough yet to even consider buying it at all, never mind at full price. And even then I want to play other games first at launch like Spidey and Demon's and I imagine most people would be the same. A multiplayer game that isn't f2p needs to be successful from launch and then keep its player base going, this was looking like it could be a failure.

PS Plus at launch would have saved it but it'd still be risky, people would still want to play other games first and it'd be a lower install base to start with. It could have died quickly in 2021 after it came off PS Plus. Now it comes out in Feb, just at a time when launch buyers will be getting thirsty for new full next gen games. Its perfect timing.

So yeah, I think its a no-brainer decision for the game to be PS Plus and I'd have been surprised and disappointed if it wasn't. Moving to Feb wasn't such a no-brainer, however, I wouldn't have even considered it before I saw the news, but it seems like a great decision.

Its a normal PS Plus game but you can claim it for two months instead of one.

BananaKing

^^id think its free if you claim it and continue having plus. So basically like all plus games

Anyways this is the right move. IMO they should have made this F2P fully. But this saves the game.

70 bucks for a new AA IP multiplayer game? Yeah that was always gonna flop. This way however the game will have a big community at the start.

I think they are going for a situation like rocket league, where PS+ makes the game popular. And then the sales continue after that due to the popularity, people streaming it, and word of mouth.

If this game is actually good, it might be successful for Sony, specially if they update it properly. Im interested in it, but Sony hasn't actually shown gameplay.

Anyways launch is packed. Spiderman, demons souls, and Sackboy, 3 very different games, alongside cyberpunk, AC, watch dogs and CoD and you got a pretty epic launch lineup.

Xevross

^^id think its free if you claim it and continue having plus. So basically like all plus games

Anyways this is the right move. IMO they should have made this F2P fully. But this saves the game.

70 bucks for a new AA IP multiplayer game? Yeah that was always gonna flop. This way however the game will have a big community at the start.

I think they are going for a situation like rocket league, where PS+ makes the game popular. And then the sales continue after that due to the popularity, people streaming it, and word of mouth.

If this game is actually good, it might be successful for Sony, specially if they update it properly. Im interested in it, but Sony hasn't actually shown gameplay.

Anyways launch is packed. Spiderman, demons souls, and Sackboy, 3 very different games, alongside cyberpunk, AC, watch dogs and CoD and you got a pretty epic launch lineup.
And PS5 already has enough exclusive stuff at launch that losing one game doesn't make an impact at all, its going to be fully sold out way into next year anyway and Destruction Allstars being pushed back 3 months won't make someone on the fence between the two consoles suddenly decide they want xbox.

Astro, The Pathless, Bugsnax and Godfall are also there as exclusives on top of the games you listed. PS5's launch lineup is so vastly superior to Series X's that this barely moves the needle. If anything it just piles on the 2021 advantage too.

There's arguments about whether launch games are even that neccessary as these consoles sell out anyway, like a lot of xbox fans saying not having halo at launch doesn't matter at all for sales. And perhaps its better to put your games around Jan/ Feb to keep sales going when they might die down. I think there's merit to the argument to some extent, you need some stuff at launch but Sony had probably way too much and left 2021 a little lacking.

Can you imagine if Kena and Deathloop were still at launch too? So many games would be missed/ forgotten when they now have their own time to shine and can probably boost PS5 sales more.

kitler53

I was definitely thinking the same, it wasn't shown well enough yet to even consider buying it at all, never mind at full price. And even then I want to play other games first at launch like Spidey and Demon's and I imagine most people would be the same. A multiplayer game that isn't f2p needs to be successful from launch and then keep its player base going, this was looking like it could be a failure.

PS Plus at launch would have saved it but it'd still be risky, people would still want to play other games first and it'd be a lower install base to start with. It could have died quickly in 2021 after it came off PS Plus. Now it comes out in Feb, just at a time when launch buyers will be getting thirsty for new full next gen games. Its perfect timing.

So yeah, I think its a no-brainer decision for the game to be PS Plus and I'd have been surprised and disappointed if it wasn't. Moving to Feb wasn't such a no-brainer, however, I wouldn't have even considered it before I saw the news, but it seems like a great decision.

Its a normal PS Plus game but you can claim it for two months instead of one.
I hope so.  I do hope sony clarifies though because the wording is not definitive.

I think $70 is too much but charging $20 like rocket league did isn't necessary a bad way to recoup cost while still making it generally affordable to everyone.   i'll be honest, i was extremely surprised when the $70 price tag was revealed.  From the moment this was announced I though it would be sony's first ps5 ps+ game with a budget price tag.   I'm glad they got there eventually but it's really surprising that this wasn't the plan from the start.

and as a guy that obsessively played rocket league for years i've got a great feeling about this game.   i've more or less stopped playing rocket league due to fatigue.   something the same but also different like this is an exciting prospect.  

Xevross

I hope so.  I do hope sony clarifies though because the wording is not definitive.

I think $70 is too much but charging $20 like rocket league did isn't necessary a bad way to recoup cost while still making it generally affordable to everyone.   i'll be honest, i was extremely surprised when the $70 price tag was revealed.  From the moment this was announced I though it would be sony's first ps5 ps+ game with a budget price tag.   I'm glad they got there eventually but it's really surprising that this wasn't the plan from the start.

and as a guy that obsessively played rocket league for years i've got a great feeling about this game.   i've more or less stopped playing rocket league due to fatigue.   something the same but also different like this is an exciting prospect.  
Yeah I've solidly and fairly constantly played rocket league, I have gaps of months without playing it but I keep coming back. I think I have over 500 hours in it across the gen. This game could be similar, but even if its a 50 hour game it'd still be great considering its free.

kitler53

Yeah I've solidly and fairly constantly played rocket league, I have gaps of months without playing it but I keep coming back. I think I have over 500 hours in it across the gen. This game could be similar, but even if its a 50 hour game it'd still be great considering its free.
since you said 500 hours i felt like i needed to know what my playtime was.   195 hours, 13 minutes, 22 seconds.    that is only "in match" time though so with time screwing around in training, customization, match making you can probably double that as far as time my butt was on the couch in front of this game.

4095 matches is a pretty definitive number though.

rocket league has felt like such a big part of my gaming life but when I see the 195 hours it makes me feel like i barely played it.   i put in about 11,000 hours into world of warcraft..