Bloomberg: Sony weighing bid for Leyou Technologies (Warframe, LoTR etc)

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 02, 2020, 11:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Bloomberg: Sony weighing bid for Leyou Technologies (Warframe, LoTR etc) | ResetEra

www.bnnbloomberg.ca   Sony Weighs Bid for Hong Kong-Listed Gaming Firm Leyou - BNN Bloomberg  Sony Corp. is weighing a bid for Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd., people familiar with the matter said, paving the way for an intensified bidding war for the Hong Kong-listed gaming firm.   www.bnnbloomberg.ca www.bnnbloomberg.ca    
Sony Corp. is weighing a bid for Leyou Technologies Holdings Ltd., people familiar with the matter said, paving the way for an intensified bidding war for the Hong Kong-listed gaming firm.

The Japanese tech giant is working with a financial adviser on the potential offer for Leyou, said the people, asking not to be identified because the matter is private. In May, the Chinese gaming firm confirmed it had received a non-binding takeover offer from Shenzhen-listed rival Zhejiang Century Huatong Group Co., after months of buyout talks with other bidders including iDreamSky Technology Holdings Ltd.

Shares of Leyou extended their gains to as much as 9.8% after the Bloomberg News report. The stock has risen about 20% this year, giving the company a market value of about $1.1 billion.

Leyou's controlling shareholder Charles Yuk had been in talks with iDreamSky for a majority stake sale since late last year. iDreamSky, which counts Tencent Holdings Ltd. among its investors, had been in discussions with CVC Capital Partners for a joint offer valuing Leyou at about $1.23 billion but the Covid-19 pandemic brought their talks to a stalemate, Bloomberg News reported in April.

Sony is hoping that it can edge out other bidders with greater certainty of financing, the people said. Leyou's Yuk aims to choose a buyer and sign an agreement as soon as this month, the people said.

Talks are still ongoing and no final decision has been made, the people said. Other bidders could still emerge, they said. Representatives for Leyou and Sony declined to comment.

Leyou was listed in Hong Kong in 2011 and counts among its titles the free shooting games Warframe and Dirty Bomb. It's also working with Amazon.com Inc. to co-produce a video game based on the popular fantasy series "The Lord of the Rings," according to its website.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
The main article mentions two other bidders, one being iDreamSky https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...gh-bid-for-hong-kong-listed-gaming-firm-leyou  
[/size]

kitler53

maybe i'm just missing something but this seems like a terrible purchase for sony.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

maybe i'm just missing something but this seems like a terrible purchase for sony.
Warframe would be cool.

Seems like it'd be too expensive though.

Maybe Sony wants their chicken business.

the-pi-guy

Warframe is pretty huge.  50+ million players.  

But mostly feels like a waste to me.

kitler53

Warframe would be cool.

Seems like it'd be too expensive though.

Maybe Sony wants their chicken business.
not really.   i mean, it seems like one of the more successful free-to-play games but it is no fortnight.   as a free-to-play game the game:
1. won't sell ps5s
2. would be a massive financial failure if make exclusive to ps5.  it needs to remain multiplat.

LoTR is being made for amazon and the contract likely cannot be broken.

most of the rest of their catalog is pretty much a shame show of forgettable titles.

...and finally, hong kong is dead to freedom and business.  china will take it over and then sony won't even "own" the business because china will use their censorship laws to mandate they only produce pro-china propaganda.   

what a terrible investment.  imo.

Xevross

This is 1000+ employees working on games, would be a huge addition to Sony's production.

the-pi-guy

This is 1000+ employees working on games, would be a huge addition to Sony's production.
*With multiplayer experience.

1000 employees isn't huge by itself.  

darkknightkryta

Am I missing something?  Warframe is Digital Extreme.  They're out in London Ontario.

the-pi-guy

Am I missing something?  Warframe is Digital Extreme.  They're out in London Ontario.
Leyou Technologies owns Digital Extreme, Certain Affinity, Splash Damage and a few others.

darkknightkryta

I always thought Digital Extremes was independent since they used to work with Epic.  Were they bought out within the last 10 years?  I saw no news.  Normally that stuff gets reported.

Legend

I always thought Digital Extremes was independent since they used to work with Epic.  Were they bought out within the last 10 years?  I saw no news.  Normally that stuff gets reported.
Going off memory, yeah like 6 years ago.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

darkknightkryta

Sony's on a buying spree.

Xevross

Tencent are buying.