PS5 hardware revealed

Started by Legend, Jun 11, 2020, 09:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

So some of these measurements don't quite line up.
PS5 definitely looks to be huge, but I wonder if the size is overestimated, or worse underestimated...  

Legend

36 pixels within the USB.

~1130 for total height.

At 12 mm for USB width, that's ~377 mm for total height. ~14.8 inches tall.

the-pi-guy

I really like the asymmetrical look, horizontal.  
Not as much vertical.  But overall I think it's grown on me.  I don't mind the "lump", reminds me of an upside down PS3 kind of where the top had the indent for the disk reader.  

Legend

I really like the asymmetrical look, horizontal.  
Not as much vertical.  But overall I think it's grown on me.  I don't mind the "lump", reminds me of an upside down PS3 kind of where the top had the indent for the disk reader.  
I love everything about the PS5 design.

It is just soooooo PS3. "We don't care what everyone else is doing. We're doing what we think is best." The PS5 with the disc drive looks like nothing before it. It's the thing that can create a new trend. Plus it's just visually pleasing imo.

the-pi-guy

22 million views, 1.1 million likes, less than 50k dislikes.

Legend

22 million views, 1.1 million likes, less than 50k dislikes.
It's the most liked gaming related video on youtube.

the-pi-guy

Legend

It's so hard to know. What's going on with all the finer details?

$399 would be great. We had people talking about cooling being expensive but then why is it so big?

the-pi-guy

It's so hard to know. What's going on with all the finer details?

$399 would be great. We had people talking about cooling being expensive but then why is it so big?
I think it's expensive partially because it's so big.

Legend

I think it's expensive partially because it's so big.
At that size couldn't traditional cooling work? Could fit some huge fans in there.

Where does vr plug in?

the-pi-guy

At that size couldn't traditional cooling work? Could fit some huge fans in there.
I'm expecting huge fans.  

I think with the new paradigm there's a different fan expectation. Make the best cooling system, run the system with as much power/heat as possible.

Where does vr plug in?
I'm wondering if it ends up using the USB C port.

Xevross

I think being bigger surely lowers the price? It makes it easier to fit everything inside without having to downsize and parts, which obvioiusly costs a lot. I still think its $499.

kitler53

I think being bigger surely lowers the price? It makes it easier to fit everything inside without having to downsize and parts, which obvioiusly costs a lot. I still think its $499.
hard to say, bigger means higher shipping costs.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Hard to say.
Are you investing lots of money to make a better smaller cooling system?
Or are you just using your old cooling system but throwing more fans at it?

As I was saying the fan requirement is different for how the PS5 is designed.  It basically has to work for the worst case 100% of the time, and do it well.  So they might have done kind of a mix. Where they invested in a better cooling system and basically doubled the fans to make sure it works as intended.

the-pi-guy

Go Up