The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Riderz1337

Anyone else thinking vive might actually be cheaper?
I'm thinking fudge VR with these prices.

PS VR is gonna be 399$.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Raven

Woah there buddy... Why the ER first off? Second, fudge your boss. Sue him.

I just walked in. Fastest way to get any help at that dang hospital. It was also really early in the morning. No one else around, really. This was years ago. I got let go from that job about 3 months after I was told directly by the president of the company that my job was secure. Of course, this was before she found out that I was working full time, which I had been for well over a year because it was fudgy required by her husband (former president turned vice president so they could get a tax break for a woman being in charge), and I began asking for vacation time and benefits.

Max King of the Wild

I just walked in. Fastest way to get any help at that dang hospital. It was also really early in the morning. No one else around, really. This was years ago. I got let go from that job about 3 months after I was told directly by the president of the company that my job was secure. Of course, this was before she found out that I was working full time, which I had been for well over a year because it was fudgy required by her husband (former president turned vice president so they could get a tax break for a woman being in charge), and I began asking for vacation time and benefits.
Your physician? Walgreens clinic? A emergency care facility (non er) would all be much cheaper (50 dollar Co pay)

Dr. Pezus

Well the ER is probably so expensive so people avoid it when they have minor problems.

It's more like $30-$50 here though

Raven

Your physician? Walgreens clinic? A emergency care facility (non er) would all be much cheaper (50 dollar Co pay)

First, I didn't have a personal physician. I was between them since the last one I had was an bumb and since I don't normally get sick I didn't think much of it. Plus, I wanted immediate help. Not cross my fingers that I would get through to my doctor like my family has always managed to have trouble with. Matter of fact, my sister went through that shame recently. My boss wanted an immediate response. Not later in the day.

The nearest Walgreens would have been well out of my way and I wasn't even aware of anything they could do for me and I'm not even sure the one closest to me was even there at the time. I was already having trouble driving thanks to the pain from light sensitivity anyways. I wasn't, and still am not, aware of any other places in my area I can go to for immediate care. Again, I don't normally get that kind of sick so that's just one of those things I don't really dig into. When I think immediate care I think ER.

None of that changes the fact that what I was charged for the "care" I received was ridiculous. Still doesn't beat the time years even before that when I went to the hospital for a bad migraine and the doctor about dang near busted into the room and demanded I let them do a spinal tap on me without even fudgy saying hello or introducing himself at the very least. Then got berated by a nurse when I turned down the first two treatment options and then told me I was required to sign a paper saying I turned down care. As if the fudgy hospital police would come find me if I didn't. The hospital in my town has a history of being assholes and mistreating patients. No one in my family who still lives in the area goes there anymore. We now go out of our way if we can help it.

If I would have been charged $500 for the visit, I would have been much more accepting of it. Though I still would question why. $1,000 for all things considered? You're out of your dang mind if you think that's acceptable.

DerNebel

The fact is an American company should not have to incur even heavier losses on a product just because a European government charges that much more in taxes. How much money would Sony have lost in Brazil to keep the PS4 price at $400 there? Because I seem to recall it being two or three times more expensive there at launch. Foreign companies don't owe Europeans anything just because they live in a system that charges high tax rates on luxury goods to pay for their national healthcare or whatever other social system needs it. That's the price you pay for it. I'm not really surprised here. Seen plenty of Europeans on the internet who act like they deserve "free healthcare" AND affordable luxury items without giving a dang whose wallet takes a hit for it as long as it isn't theirs. His complaint is misguided. If the taxes on luxury items sucks that bad and he doesn't like it then he should try to motion for change. Not guilt a foreign company into lowering its price even further just so he can enjoy the fruits of a European social system while paying the same or close to the same luxury costs as a country that doesn't use such a system.

Also, I don't think many Americans will buy at that $600 cost anyways so whether or not Europeans do at theirs is a bit of a moot point. It's not going to sell that well anywhere.

Please know that I am not attacking anyone here or Europeans in general. I just don't have much patience for people like that guy who attacked the Rift because "Boohoo my country's taxes suck so it's up to YOU to do something about it".
The problem is that Oculus adds 27% to the price of the Rift to all European countries (without shipping), do you know how many countries in the EU have 27% VAT? One and it's fudgy Hungary, every other country has lower tax rates, here in germany for instance the Oculus would be 656€ if you applied the actual local tax rate, but no they are jacking up the price because of a country whose population makes up less than 5% of Europe. So nope, sorry germans don't have to blame their own government here but Oculus.

Edit: Oh and since this thread has somehow devloved into a conversation about healthcare: I pay about 90€ a month for health insurance, that pretty much covers me.

Raven

The problem is that Oculus adds 27% to the price of the Rift to all European countries (without shipping), do you know how many countries in the EU have 27% VAT? One and it's fudgy Hungary, every other country has lower tax rates, here in germany for instance the Oculus would be 656€ if you applied the actual local tax rate, but no they are jacking up the price because of a country whose population makes up less than 5% of Europe. So nope, sorry germans don't have to blame their own government here but Oculus.

Edit: Oh and since this thread has somehow devloved into a conversation about healthcare: I pay about 90€ a month for health insurance, that pretty much covers me.
If that's the case, that Oculus is overpriced beyond a European tax, then I understand the complaint. However, if it's a case of stupidly high taxes then it's not the company's problem.

kitler53

It's not the cost of issurence it's the cost of care.

Both my wife and the twins spent two months in the hospital for a grand total of 220,000 dollars.

Lets me give a little example of abuse by the hospitals for charging to much for care.

The medicine cost which consisted of Ibuprofen and a prescription that cost us 10 bucks at walmart. 8,500. WFT?
i'll probably have to pay it though.  my deductible is $3500 so i'm on the hook for all of it since this is my first medical care for the year (2015).

sorry about bold.

i think we can all agree thought that OR is digging it's own grave regardless of where you live.  there will probably be a decent number for day-1 buyers but like the vita i expect sales to drop off very quickly after that.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Mmm_fish_tacos

So I've been thinking about this all morning. After feeling like I got kicked in the nuts yesterday.  The price for what you get isn't bad. Not bad at all. But the real question is, did we need everything we got?

Other besides the head set you get a high end set of headphones and a nice mic, a tracking camera and stand , xbox one controller, the OR remote, case, cables,  eve and lucky tail. It's a complete package. And that nice but not everyone needs everything.

And Palmer has said on twitter that the controller didn't cost much and wouldn't change the price much if they didn't include it and to sell it if you didn't need it.

the-pi-guy

Currently shipping in June....  
I really have to wonder if they are selling well, or if they aren't making many.  Or both.  

It makes sense not to make many.  They don't know how successful it'll be, and they wouldn't want to make a lot of stock, considering the cost.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Currently shipping in June....  
I really have to wonder if they are selling well, or if they aren't making many.  Or both.  

It makes sense not to make many.  They don't know how successful it'll be, and they wouldn't want to make a lot of stock, considering the cost.  
I think they are selling pretty well. It's not going to light the world on fire but they are getting them out in the wild and that's what's important.  100K a month, maybe?

Raven

I think they are selling pretty well. It's not going to light the world on fire but they are getting them out in the wild and that's what's important.  100K a month, maybe?
100k a month at a $600 price tag for unproven tech requiring a beefy rig? You're incredibly optimistic.

the-pi-guy

Honestly, I'm thinking 5-10k.  
The price makes a lot of sense with such small numbers.  

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Psvr and bad stuff: The Elephant in the Room

Originally Posted by the-Pi-guy

Sony isn't going to allow a bad stuff app on their system, so the only hope is the web browser.
 You don't have to download anything.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddVqA3rKIZA
 Youtube already has working 360 videos, that you can move around.  It shouldn't be too hard to modify these types of things for VR.

That video needs a VR specific app to be viewed with an HMD.

Mmm_fish_tacos

100k a month at a $600 price tag for unproven tech requiring a beefy rig? You're incredibly optimistic.
I'm just guessing that their manufacturer capabilities.  Could be lower like 50 60 k a month. The hype is so built up its sure to sell that WW in 3 months. It's beyond 5-6 months that I think it's going to take a seep dive, unless word of mouth keeps it up.

Legend

So I've been thinking about this all morning. After feeling like I got kicked in the nuts yesterday.  The price for what you get isn't bad. Not bad at all. But the real question is, did we need everything we got?

Other besides the head set you get a high end set of headphones and a nice mic, a tracking camera and stand , xbox one controller, the OR remote, case, cables,  eve and lucky tail. It's a complete package. And that nice but not everyone needs everything.

And Palmer has said on twitter that the controller didn't cost much and wouldn't change the price much if they didn't include it and to sell it if you didn't need it.
Yeah pack ins are cheap ways for a company to help justify the cost. Removing them would shave off only like $50 probably.

Palmer Luckey did a reddit AMA on the price and he did come across as genuine that $600 is close to cost. So three things are possible.

1. They didn't like Vive beating them, so they pushed hard to make CV1 as good as possible. Price jump over DK2 might be worth it.
2. They designed the CV1 as a mass produced product unlike the DKs, but a long the way they screwed up and opted for custom parts with minimul gain. CV1 is a bit better than DK2, but it costs a lot more to make.
3. They're lying and spinning the truth, trying to calm the fires. CV1 being sold for a significant profit.

We really need the specs of this thing!

Go Up