When the heck will we get new physics? It's been decades

Started by Legend, Mar 13, 2024, 06:14 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

We have made refinements, but our best model for physics is over 50 years old.

The pace is so incredibly slow compared to the early 20th century. Back then it was as if everything changed every decade.

We keep finding more and more flaws, we know there is a heck of a lot more to discover, but no new theories have taken off. String theory is pretty dead and all the others are pretty fringe.

I hope something big is right around the corner. JWST has made the crisis in cosmology worse which is a great thing.

BananaKing

Its because we know the truth but keep burying it

#flatearth

kitler53

what the heck is a flate arth?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I don't know. What are you doing with your time?  Where are your big discoveries?

Legend

I don't know. What are you doing with your time?  Where are your big discoveries?
I aint no physicist. I'm just spoiled by a new golden age in space travel and it'd be awesome if physics could have one too.

There have been lots of great discoveries, like the higgs boson and gravitational waves. Just very little new physics.

BananaKing

what the heck is a flate arth?
A French dessert

Legend

New research suggests that our universe has no dark matter

I'm half asleep but this reads like quackery. The actual paper is probably a lot better but this article seems to just throw dark energy in as a bonus thing that's also deleted.

the-pi-guy

Legend

James Webb telescope confirms there is something seriously wrong with our understanding of the universe
Yeah it's been so exciting how this has slowly strengthened over the years. I'm so glad it (so far) hasn't been something silly like the universe having more dust than we realized.

dominicelliott

I do not understand

Legend

I do not understand
No one does. That's why it's so exciting!

Legend

Apr 05, 2024, 12:14 AM Last Edit: Apr 05, 2024, 04:20 AM by Legend
A Tantalizing 'Hint' That Astronomers Got Dark Energy All Wrong - The New York Times

Awesome! This is independent of the crisis in cosmology mentioned above.

Would love to see how well alternative theories to dark energy can match this data. I'm not a dark energy hater, but man is it an unsatisfying explanation.