Procedural RPG OT: every action has consequences

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 20, 2019, 09:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Apr 23, 2019, 11:18 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 11:44 PM by Legend
Ignoring the background sim, what should the game look like?

I'm thinking a 3d board game style overworld. A flat classic style map with 3D pieces for points of interest: castle, city, town, and outpost.

Icons on the map would show you and nearby people. Entering a point of interest could zoom in on the 3D icon and that would be it.

I guess it actually all should be a common hud.

Traveling out in the overworld and traveling within a poi are mostly the same. So the screens I need are:

Out and about. Show all nearby objects and show your current location.

Conversations. Have the fancy desire/reason screen.

Combat. All the combat specific screens.

Party management. Move items and restructure things.

They could be mixed around though. Conversations could happen mid combat (such as telling the enemy you yield or saying you will pay them to stop) and moving items could be whenever.

I think I'd have a generic "things that are relevant" menu that can dynamically reorganize and what not. So this menu would be the universal menu for showing every item/thing the player knows about.

This menu would include quick stats such as health, hunger, thirst, etc. for things that make sense. This way it is easy to see your whole party and what state everyone is in.

Clicking on a sentient object would let you open the dialogue screen. This window would show everything needed to construct a statement...

this is kinda just word soup.

I'm not sure how to structure these screens. Let me think about it some more.