Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

It would be cool to have an AI basically scrape a personality from a TV show character.  

Like if you were a game developer for a Simpson's game, you could train an AI on Homer, Marge, Lisa, etc.  Basically autogenerated compelling, interactive TV show characters.  

Legend

Jul 23, 2019, 06:32 PM Last Edit: Jul 23, 2019, 06:34 PM by Legend
The biggest challenge with getting this cellular automata ai to work is definitely training it.

The hard part is weight adjustment. Every cell/neuron has 9 weights associated with it. That's much nicer than a traditional neural network but with no flow of direction, it's much harder to backpropagate. Additionally it's impossible to use traditional methods because of the boolean nature of cells. Super small changes in weights do not necessarily change the output.

The harder part is dealing with memory and the state of the brain. Since cellular automata is turing complete, exclusively flipping cell states is enough to program any output. Weights could be completely ignored and yet it could still function as a full AI if seeded correctly. Training needs to include a method to flip cells or temporarily change weights with the short term goal of setting up cells. I have no idea how to handle this.

I've been able to train the AI to make it around the track near perpetually but this is almost exclusively based off the internal state of the brain instead of sensor input. Structure should form within the brain around the input and output sections but instead everything is fairly evenly distributed.

It would be cool to have an AI basically scrape a personality from a TV show character.  

Like if you were a game developer for a Simpson's game, you could train an AI on Homer, Marge, Lisa, etc.  Basically autogenerated compelling, interactive TV show characters.  
Would be cool. I'd bet we are within a decade or two of being able to replace characters in live TV. The AI would visually replace the person like we can kinda do now, but it could also rewrite lines and make the character match their personality.

Legend

I keep getting pulled back in by my AI thing.

The goal at the moment is a single AI agent that evolves and trains itself as it runs. Reinforcement learning is used like before but now it's an active part of the brain. If I can get this step working, then hopefully the AI can evolve to handle more complicated courses.

I switched to a 3d grid and increased the input cells, so now I can see what the AI sees. It really feels like an animal brain haha.

the-pi-guy

I am going to try making a game from scratch.  Probably a terrible idea, but it'll be great for learning I think.  

Haven't used opengl and C++ together before.  It looks very different from webgl.  So I have a rough background, but I still have stuff to learn.  
But some of the relevant books I have are pretty old. And I'm worried about how outdated they are.  Like the second newest book is from 2000.  So I'm sure a lot of the opengl stuff is deprecated.  

I've decided I'm going to make my Japanese game, and it'll be made incrementally.  I've been worried about it feeling like a complete experience, but I'm going to worry about that later.  

Legend

I am going to try making a game from scratch.  Probably a terrible idea, but it'll be great for learning I think.  

Haven't used opengl and C++ together before.  It looks very different from webgl.  So I have a rough background, but I still have stuff to learn.  
But some of the relevant books I have are pretty old. And I'm worried about how outdated they are.  Like the second newest book is from 2000.  So I'm sure a lot of the opengl stuff is deprecated.  

I've decided I'm going to make my Japanese game, and it'll be made incrementally.  I've been worried about it feeling like a complete experience, but I'm going to worry about that later.  

That sounds really cool!

How scratch are you talking? Open source libraries when possible or as scratch as possible to help you learn?

the-pi-guy

That sounds really cool!

How scratch are you talking? Open source libraries when possible or as scratch as possible to help you learn?
Probably all by scratch, unless I really can't make progress with something.

the-pi-guy

Sometimes I really hate setting stuff up.  

Like installing a program, API, library, etc. Is just way too much trouble sometimes.  That I'd rather try using what I already have set up instead sometimes.

Legend

Sometimes I really hate setting stuff up.  

Like installing a program, API, library, etc. Is just way too much trouble sometimes.  That I'd rather try using what I already have set up instead sometimes.

I get that. I hated having to switch to visual studio for example.

the-pi-guy

Aug 19, 2019, 02:38 AM Last Edit: Aug 19, 2019, 02:58 AM by the-pi-guy
I get that. I hated having to switch to visual studio for example.
Yeah, me too. 
I was trying to get started on Unreal Engine.  And I had this weird error where it wouldn't stay open. 
Tried re-installing it to see if that was the problem.   
Saw there was an error code.  Was having trouble finding a solution to it.  Turned out it was because my laptop was switching GPUs. 

-----
Had trouble with OpenGL too.  Had to set up Visual Studio for opengl, by getting it to point to the directory in a couple different places. 
Messed up something, but finally got it to work. 
But then I was going through a tutorial, and it wanted me to set up another thing. 

It's always one thing after another when getting started up the first time. 

Edit, actually part of the issue is that I was working with stuff that I'm still trying to understand. 
There are a large number of very different OpenGL sdks.  Which I wasn't aware of.  Ugh. 

the-pi-guy

What graphics API are you using for your engine?  

Legend

What graphics API are you using for your engine?  
Haven't touched my engine in a long time, but I used DirectX for prototyping.

the-pi-guy

Making slow progress.  

OpenGL is apparently set up a bit differently from webgl, so I kind feel like I'm starting over a bit.

Legend

Making slow progress.  

OpenGL is apparently set up a bit differently from webgl, so I kind feel like I'm starting over a bit.
How long do you expect till you get hello triangle running?

the-pi-guy

How long do you expect till you get hello triangle running?
Hopefully in a couple days.  I haven't been working on graphics very much.  
I've just started working on a resource managing system.  

the-pi-guy

Aug 22, 2019, 06:10 PM Last Edit: Aug 22, 2019, 07:22 PM by the-pi-guy
That sounds really cool!

I guess a more a more updated/accurate answer here would be:
Graphics: using the SDL library to work with OpenGL. 

But I still think everything else will be pretty from scratch. 

SDL is a lot better than GLUT, which is super outdated. 

Edit: ive made more progress in half an hour with SDL than I did over a day with GLUT

Go Up