Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Boxoffice: only 14 movie theaters open in the US. And the top film this week made less than $2000. Crazy.

Me: am watching Into the Spiderverse. Very delightful movie. Visuals are really special.
First time watching spiderverse?

the-pi-guy

First time watching spiderverse?
Yep.  

I don't watch many movies lately ever

Xevross

Yep.  

I don't watch many movies lately ever
Makes me sad, Spiderverse is such a slept-on movie.  People who would really enjoy it just haven't given it a chance, mainly because it still hasn't been watched by too many people. Hopefully with how positively the film is viewed the sequel will do much better at the box office.

I love it so much, must have watched it at least 5 times already and it gets better every time. I might even put it in my top 10 movies ever.

the-pi-guy

Speaking of sleeping on movies. People need to watch Klaus on Netflix (yes it's a Christmas film).

Was reminded of it, because it too has a very unique look.

Legend

Speaking of sleeping on movies. People need to watch Klaus on Netflix (yes it's a Christmas film).

Was reminded of it, because it too has a very unique look.
I was amazed to learn that it's 2D drawn animation, not 3D. They set up a lot of really cool tools that essentially allow them to use sketches to animate the film but have the computer handle textures and lighting. I still need to see it.

Xevross

Cats made a loss of approximately $113M. Wowzas.

Legend

Cats made a loss of approximately $113M. Wowzas.
I will be watching it tonight. Pray for me.

Xevross

Apr 25, 2020, 10:28 AM Last Edit: Apr 25, 2020, 10:34 AM by Xevross
I will be watching it tonight. Pray for me.
So how was it?

Here's the top 10 movies of 2019 for total profit generated (estimates from Deadline):

1. Avengers Endgame - Costs: $899M, Revenue: $1789M, Profit $890M
2. Frozen 2 - Costs $453M, Revenue $1052M, Profit $599M
3. The Lion King - Costs $621M, Revenue $1201M, Profit $580M
4. Joker - Costs $393M, Revenue $830M, Profit $437M
5. Captain Marvel - Costs $453M, Revenue $867M, Profit $414M
6. Toy Story 4 - Costs $503M, Revenue $871M, Profit $368M
7. Aladdin - Costs $455M, Revenue $811M, Profit $357M
8. Spider-Man FFH - Costs $448M, Revenue $787M, Profit $339M
9. Star Wars TROS - Costs $627M, Revenue $927M, Profit $300M
10. Jumanji NL - Costs $422M, Revenue $658M, Profit $236M

Fun fact - Endgame made 78% more profit than IW, despite participations being much higher. $175M was given to cast and crew as bonuses, with $55M to RDJ alone. Ridiculous year for Disney overall, that's a lot of profit. This is also an interesting demonstration of Disney's influence. Despite a very slightly higher box office, FFH made almost $100M less revenue than Captain Marvel, as Sony negotiate lower % share of box office totals and worse TV deals. Its the same for every other studio.

Also crazy seeing Star Wars so low, that's actually less profit than Rogue One ($318M) and more than 60% less than TFA. Both TFA and TLJ topped the profit ranks in their years, so this is a big drop-off.

Legend

So how was it?
Worse than I expected.

Started off just as a dumb movie that could be ironically good (dancing cockroaches) but it slowly morphed into a nightmare.

Legend

Speaking of bad movies, It chapter 2 was horrible.

Felt like a parody of the first.

First one had a sense of mystery. Every seen with the clown was creepy and built up to bigger moments. Second one just put over the top cgi monsters in every scene.

Retconning was so bad as well. First movie would have been trash if all these "additional scenes" were part of it. Once again just throwing in cgi monsters without reason. Also I was distracted by whatever methods they used to make the actors sound and look younger.

It really really felt like a parody, making moments so extreme that they mocked the original.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Like when the bad guy breaks out and jumps in the car with his zombie friend. What the heck was that.<br><br><br>Speaking of spoilers, I was surprised that Stanley and Eddie died. Did not like how Stanley justified it later on, but the original suicide did a great job making me expect a really dark and scary follow up. Eddies death could have worked better if the rest of the movie was better.<br>

the-pi-guy

It wasn't a bad movie. But I'm reminded of Airplane!  

The sequel was so disappointing. It sucks as a comedy.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><br>Like 90% of the jokes in the sequel were from the first movie, either through flash backs or literally just resetting up the joke. &nbsp;<br><br>Well 90% might be overestimating. &nbsp;At the very least, 90% of the good jokes were just from the first movie. &nbsp;<br>

Xevross

Just watched Knvies Out. Brilliant film, loved it from start to finish. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Legend

Just watched Knvies Out. Brilliant film, loved it from start to finish. Can't recommend it highly enough.
'Twas great.

Dr. Pezus

Need to watch

Xevross

Tenet was fantastic. Nolan is back!

Go Up