Collecting collectibles in games

Started by Legend, May 29, 2018, 06:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Good video imo.

In GOW (2018), collecting the ravens was kinda fun since spotting them wasn't the victory condition. Throwing the axe like a minigame worked great.

What are your thoughts on collectables. What games did them right, and what games did them wrong?

Xevross

Well BOTW has done it by far better than any other game I've played. Its hard to mention another one honestly. Normally in open world games I don't even bother doing much side stuff like collectables but in BOTW I'm addicted and love just wondering around looking for Koroks.

I still find it hilarious that I didn't even notice a couple of korok types until I'd finished the game and put over 100 hours in. Once I spotted them, I was just like "oh, mother-fudge maker", with a beaming smile on my face.

I don't really get the TLOU criticism, its a linear game with stuff to pick up. If you don't want to play like that, looking at walls all the time... then just don't? Ignore the collectables? Eh, whatever.

Other games, I don't really care about collectables (the kind that do nothing except look nice). If you're including just items you can collect that are useful for crafting and stuff too, add Horizon to the good list!

Xevross

Oh also I think God of War does some stuff really well but also really not so well with this. The collectables being behind puzzles you only unlock later in the game is really cool, but I hate having to backtrack all the way back to some of those places because of the fairly limited fast travel.

A lot of you guys did the platinum, but I can't be bothered with it because I don't want to go back through the entire game looking out for all the ravens and stuff I missed. And to go back to BOTW. Its funny because even though I don't have anything to work towards like a platinum with those collectables, I really want to do it anyway. That's the complete opposite.

Legend

Well BOTW has done it by far better than any other game I've played. Its hard to mention another one honestly. Normally in open world games I don't even bother doing much side stuff like collectables but in BOTW I'm addicted and love just wondering around looking for Koroks.

I still find it hilarious that I didn't even notice a couple of korok types until I'd finished the game and put over 100 hours in. Once I spotted them, I was just like "oh, mother-fudge maker", with a beaming smile on my face.

I don't really get the TLOU criticism, its a linear game with stuff to pick up. If you don't want to play like that, looking at walls all the time... then just don't? Ignore the collectables? Eh, whatever.

Other games, I don't really care about collectables (the kind that do nothing except look nice). If you're including just items you can collect that are useful for crafting and stuff too, add Horizon to the good list!
I just discovered a new Korok from that video. Shooting arrows at the thing.

I enjoyed collecting things in TLOU since it felt realistic (you're hunting for supplies, of course you have to walk around like that) but I bet the second game will improve it. You couldn't fully ignore the collectables since they were needed for crafting.

Xevross

I just discovered a new Korok from that video. Shooting arrows at the thing.

I enjoyed collecting things in TLOU since it felt realistic (you're hunting for supplies, of course you have to walk around like that) but I bet the second game will improve it. You couldn't fully ignore the collectables since they were needed for crafting.
Yeah agreed. I never scanned the whole level too much in TLOU, but finding some useful stuff on the side was always great.

Xevross

Watching that video led me to this, which is awesome and so worth watching:

Mario Odyssey is great with collectables too.

Legend

Watching that video led me to this, which is awesome and so worth watching:

Mario Odyssey is great with collectables too.
Yup that video is how I found this channel, but I can't watch it yet  ::)

the-pi-guy

I didn't really love the video.

Totally different games, and the collectibles played a very different part in the games.  
Linear vs open world.
TloU collectibles are resources or for world building like the letters.  

It's not like collectibles are all that important in TLoU.  

Xevross

I didn't really love the video.

Totally different games, and the collectibles played a very different part in the games.  
Linear vs open world.
TloU collectibles are resources or for world building like the letters.  

It's not like collectibles are all that important in TLoU.  
Agreed!

the-pi-guy

One game that I've seen criticized for collectibles is Donkey Kong 64.  
There are collectibles up the wazoo.  

You need to collect giant bananas.  
But in order to collect the giant bananas, you need to collect smaller bananas.  

In order to collect some of the smaller bananas, you have to collect coins to get the weapons and power ups.  Etc.

There was a video about it, here's the game loop on how to play:

I don't really have any good examples of collecting.  But collecting to me isn't really something to strive for.  I am sure I'd love it in BOTW, but it's not really something I even think about all that much with most games.  

With the possible exceptions of the Super Mario 3D games, Jak and Daxter.  But even those I just think of them as a requirement for progressing.  

Legend

I liked the way FEZ handled collectables.

You have cube bits, cube shards, and anti cubes. All three can be found within the world and all three add up to work as the same resource. I'm doing something fairly similar with VizionEck Adventure.

SWORDF1SH

GoW does collectibles really well. For me, it hit every note and is probably the most enjoyable game I've played for collectibles. In fact GoW is one of the best games I've played, it just does everything I like pretty much perfectly.