PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Xevross

It's funny how pre launch the massive size felt like they were being overly cautious. Now it just seems like a giant console aka launch PS3 2.0.
Yeah me and Pi were talking about this before. Basically the excuse was well the PS5 is so big because cooling/ fan noise/ whatever. But it turns out the design is worse than Series X in every regard.

- Less powerful
- Much bigger in volume
- Worse airflow leading to less efficient cooling
- Louder fan (even the quiet PS5 fan is a lot louder than SX)
- Higher system temps all round with one particularly dodgy spot (SSD)
- Doesn't have full Zen2 features like SX
- Extra SSD slot that requires opening the system so more of hassle to install
- This extra SSD slot isn't enabled yet and when it is it will cause the fan to get even louder
- General problems like loud disc drive and sporadic problems like coil whine while SX seems pretty faultless
- The white plates on the side actually cause the system internals to heat up by a few degrees on top of making the console a lot bigger and harder to fit into spaces

Its actually quite crazy that the Sony team got so out-engineered. I really am baffled as to what happened here. The only thing PS5 has going for it for me personally is that I think it looks a lot better.

Last gen it was kind of similar but in the other direction, but even then the PS4 had jet engine fans while the XB1 was very quiet so it wasn't quite this bad. A big turnaround in one gen.