Microsoft Buys Zenimax/ Bethesda for $7.5B

Started by Xevross, Sep 21, 2020, 01:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

(Hit me up Sony)
As stupid as it is...  I'm feeling a little extra motivated to get into development.

Xevross

I don't see Sony as complacent at all. They just don't have the same billions of loose change lying around as MS.
Price hikes for games, bad regional prices (all while Xbox are providing the best value offering ever ), misleading their fans, their showcase being shoddy with lots of mistakes.

They're complacent. Games wise they're not but the business side of PlayStation is very complacent right now.

DerNebel

Price hikes for games, bad regional prices (all while Xbox are providing the best value offering ever ), misleading their fans, their showcase being shoddy with lots of mistakes.

They're complacent. Games wise they're not but the business side of PlayStation is very complacent right now.
Nah, having somewhat stupid messaging, doesn't make them complacent.

And they might just not want to get dragged into a "price dumping" war by MS, because they don't make tens of billions of dollars in profit from other business segments every year to subsidize their games business.

Legend

Lol major nelson himself posted this news to the series x subreddit.

the-pi-guy

He posted to several other subs too.

The whole Bethesda deal was just to get some reddit karma.

Dr. Pezus

He's such a fanboy

Xevross

Nah, having somewhat stupid messaging, doesn't make them complacent.

And they might just not want to get dragged into a "price dumping" war by MS, because they don't make tens of billions of dollars in profit from other business segments every year to subsidize their games business.
So you're just ignoring the price hikes and horrible regional pricing then? When your competitor has game pass and a cheap console, xbox all access as a great deal, rising the prices of your games dramatically in most countries is a massively complacent move. They're taking Europe for granted, the UK especially is not going to be as happy with playstation this gen that's for sure. The price rise is only $10 in the US so it won't be much of an impact, but I think with Series S xbox will take back the US this gen anyway.

Legend

So you're just ignoring the price hikes and horrible regional pricing then? When your competitor has game pass and a cheap console, xbox all access as a great deal, rising the prices of your games dramatically in most countries is a massively complacent move. They're taking Europe for granted, the UK especially is not going to be as happy with playstation this gen that's for sure. The price rise is only $10 in the US so it won't be much of an impact, but I think with Series S xbox will take back the US this gen anyway.
If microsoft doesn't increase prices, I think this will be the biggest blunder of the gen. Just makes Sony look so bad.

the-pi-guy

I think Sony is going to have to drop their prices.

Xevross

Sep 21, 2020, 06:41 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 06:46 PM by Xevross
If microsoft doesn't increase prices, I think this will be the biggest blunder of the gen. Just makes Sony look so bad.
Oh for sure. I would have pre-ordered at least Demon's Souls and probably most of Sony's lineup for PS5 by now without the price hike. I'm going to wait until a lot of them are on sale now, they may end up getting less money from me. And I'm much less enthusiastic about Sony now, people like me spreading buzz and positivity does a lot for them but right now I'm more likely to convince people to get game pass than a PS5.

The game price hike has seriously killed a lot of my enthusiasm for next gen, I still can't believe it. I'm checking like twice a day to see if any store in the UK is coming to their senses but no, still £70. Still would be the new highest amount I've ever spent on the regular edition of a game by £20 if I pulled the trigger on a pre-order. fudge that.

Meanwhile I'm looking at game pass PC and access to lots of games I'll enjoy for £8 a month. 8 months of game pass for less than a single game on PS5. Yikes.

Edit: I'm not arguing "Sony doomed" or anything like that here, there's still going to do very well and I'll still buy a lot of their games. But a lot of my enthusiasm is gone and its very hard to defend to them.

Dr. Pezus

Oh for sure. I would have pre-ordered at least Demon's Souls and probably most of Sony's lineup for PS5 by now without the price hike. I'm going to wait until a lot of them are on sale now, they may end up getting less money from me. And I'm much less enthusiastic about Sony now, people like me spreading buzz and positivity does a lot for them but right now I'm more likely to convince people to get game pass than a PS5.

The game price hike has seriously killed a lot of my enthusiasm for next gen, I still can't believe it. I'm checking like twice a day to see if any store in the UK is coming to their senses but no, still £70. Still would be the new highest amount I've ever spent on the regular edition of a game by £20 if I pulled the trigger on a pre-order. fudge that.

Meanwhile I'm looking at game pass PC and access to lots of games I'll enjoy for £8 a month. 8 months of game pass for less than a single game on PS5. Yikes.
What's the euro price? 80 euros? Kind of ridiculous

Xevross

What's the euro price? 80 euros? Kind of ridiculous
Yeah, that's rather insane. A lot of people will try to avoid paying that.

Legend

I think buying Bethesda really sucks but as a player only, yeah I'm glad I budgeted for a series x.

PS5 feels like PS3, and Series feels like 360.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah, that's rather insane. A lot of people will try to avoid paying that.
The fudge is that. Prices in Iceland will be insane. Ah well I'll buy everything with the US account

DerNebel

How about you wait until the games are out to see if they'll actually be sold for that price. The MSRP in Europe is apparently 70€ at the moment, which I sure as hell wouldn't have known if I didn't have to buy Final Fantasy VII Remake on the PS Store during lockdown. I've never had to actually pay that price day 1 at a store.

And no offense to the UK but the pound has lost a lot in value and with Brexit there is probably not a lot confidence of that turning around. 70 pound is about $90 sure, but consider the 20% VAT and you're actually a lot closer to the US price without taxes at the equivalent of $72.

Go Up