Microsoft Buys Zenimax/ Bethesda for $7.5B

Viewing single post

Started by Xevross, Sep 21, 2020, 01:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Sep 21, 2020, 02:33 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 02:36 PM by Xevross
i can see that too.  ps5's first year is nuts.  but MS is likely to keep buying shame.  by the end of ps5 there might be no big 3rd party studios left.   at the rate i expect MS to buy: activision, ubisoft, EA before the end of the gen.  capcom and SE would be harder because they are japanese but it won't matter,..  then the games industry is "fully" consolidated under MS at that point.
Absolutely. Also the xbox/ PS total console sales has remained almost exactly flat since the first gen they were competing.:

PS2 155-160M + xbox 24M = ~180M
PS3 ~88M + X360 ~87M = ~175M
PS4 ~120M + XB1 ~55M = ~175M

I don't see any possibility that xbox doesn't grow this gen, I'm predicting 75M. I think due to series S total sales will grow for the first time due to more people owning both consoles, but some of that will still be a steal from playstation. Unless there's something unforseen which dramatically grows the console market this gen, PS4's 120M is the ceiling for PS5 I think. And I also see no scenario where PS5 is behind the PS4 launch aligned within at least the first two years.

About all that buying, that would be nuts. Microsoft have a lot of money but they don't want to go all in on xbox without evidence that its going to work out. Bethesda is huge already, that's probably it for a long time.

It's not about Sony being caught with their pants down, it's about a trillion dollar company deciding "oh wait, our nearest competitor isn't even a tenth of our size, we can just start throwing money around in sums that they clearly can't".

It's gross, borderline anti-competitive and the worst direction the fudgy console war could take.

And yes, I'm actually mad at this. fudge Spencer.
Well yeah I guess it is similar, Sony are making some mistakes and are being somewhat complacent but this is also a huge move from Microsoft. Its a combination of both. Microsoft want xbox with game pass to become the netflix of gaming but even more dominant with no real rival services. Looks like right now that its going to happen. Game Pass will be monstrous in a few years time and will start making a lot of money.