Avowed details

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 12, 2021, 05:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

sauce

Game is deep in preproduction:

Sources familiar with internal plans have reached out to us in recent months offering details on Avowed, now deep into pre-production at Obsidian Entertainment. The studio is close to having a working early version of the game, with many mechanics and core gameplay pillars already implemented.

The game is set in the Pillars of Eternity universe, known as the World of Eternity, and utilizes a first-person viewpoint similar to Obsidian's The Outer Worlds.

The Outer Worlds fans already have plenty of reasons to be excited about Obsidian's upcoming slate, given that The Outer Worlds 2 has been confirmed. Avowed seems to be based on a similar, albeit enhanced engine from The Outer Worlds, complete with action-oriented first-person combat and deep RPG exploration and narrative systems. We were told Avowed will feature multiple class playstyles and borrow from Skyrim's two-handed combat system. You could wield two daggers and be a stealthy rogue, or dive into archery with a two-handed bow. You could use a combination of swords and magic, or go full two-handed magic, which is required to wield some of the game's more potent spells and abilities.
The combat seems to be more loadout-based than The Elder Scrolls, which gives you mountains of spells in a gigantic list. Warriors will get access to more physical attacks like swordplay, powerful kicks, and shield bashes, while casters will be given a range of spellbook options to customize and tailor their combat style, with attacks bound to specific buttons.
I feel like there's a good chance we'll see Avowed in a playable state by E3 2022 at the latest given the quality of the content I've seen, which may even be several months old at this point. Perhaps there's even a small chance we'd see it at The Game Awards at the end of the year. I teased on my podcast recently that I'd bet money that we'd see another Xbox exclusive, Hellblade II, at The Game Awards this year -- since I've indeed heard that this is the plan. Perhaps we could get a two-for-one deal and see Avowed show up there too, but it may be too early just yet.

BananaKing

MS has been announcing games before development has even started. This sounds like its alteast 2 years off at the very least. Could be 3 or 4.

kitler53

MS has been announcing games before development has even started. This sounds like its alteast 2 years off at the very least. Could be 3 or 4.
so basically MS's standard announcement schedule.   

...it's been 2 years since everwild was announced.   do we think they've made it out of pre-production yet?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

so basically MS's standard announcement schedule.  

...it's been 2 years since everwild was announced.   do we think they've made it out of pre-production yet?
It got rebooted. When they announced it they didn't even have gameplay set.

Honestly its crazy how early they announce things. They announce them before development even starts.

kitler53

It got rebooted. When they announced it they didn't even have gameplay set.

Honestly its crazy how early they announce things. They announce them before development even starts.
its way I prefer Sony's recent trend to not announce things early

think of it like this,..   MS has almost announced their entire line up for the entire series x/s generation.  

Legend

think of it like this,..   MS has almost announced their entire line up for the entire series x/s generation.  
They can fix that by buying more studios  ;)

BananaKing

Oct 13, 2021, 11:52 AM Last Edit: Oct 13, 2021, 12:00 PM by BananaKing

think of it like this,..   MS has almost announced their entire line up for the entire series x/s generation.  
We are almost a year after release and we haven't even seen anything from the first game MS announced for Series X. Hellblade 2. Honestly their announcing strategy is ridiculous.

Sony announced wolverine which is like 3 years away still. But they seem to do a mix of announcements at least, with some close, some a bit further away and some years away. But MS went as far as to announce games that didn't even start production or didn't even have a dev yet.

They can fix that by buying more studios  ;)
Can they though? Phil doesn't know how to manage first party studios and IP. He has been the Head of first party IP even before the XB1. And been head of Xbox for 7-8 years now. And he has barely anything to show for it.

Xb1 had arguably the worst first party support a major console has ever had. If you have to spend 8.5 billion just to be able to compete, after a studio spending spree, then I call that bad management. And the thing is, they still aren't competing, its all promises and CGI trailers. Phil is a great PR person and decent at marketing. But managing first party isn't his thing

kitler53

Oct 13, 2021, 12:01 PM Last Edit: Oct 13, 2021, 12:34 PM by kitler53
We are almost a year after release and we haven't even seen anything from the first game MS announced for Series X. Hellblade 2. Honestly their announcing strategy is ridiculous.

Sony announced wolverine which is like 3 years away still. But they seem to do a mix of announcements at least, with some close, some a bit further away and some years away. But MS went as far as to announce games that didn't even start production or didn't even have a dev yet.
not like this is new. to their strategy. shanghi heist, phantom dust, crackdown, fable legends.

it's part of why I don't like Xbox.   too many false promises and than I don't trust any announcement.

everyone acts like santa Monica's cancelled game was such a big disappointment but at least Sony never announced it. 

BananaKing

not like this is new. to their strategy. shanghi heist, phantom dust, crackdown, fable legends.

it's part of why I don't like Xbox.   too many false promises and than I don't trust any announcement.

everyone acts like santa Monica's cancelled game was such a disappointment but at least Sony never announced it.
Holly shame i forgot about phantom dust. MS screwed over those guys big time.

And thats true. They have so many empty promises its crazy. Everwild being the latest one.

kitler53

Holly shame i forgot about phantom dust. MS screwed over those guys big time.

And thats true. They have so many empty promises its crazy. Everwild being the latest one.
everwild could still release.  it could be great.  it could be terrible.  it could be cancelled.    

no one ever knows with an Xbox announcement. 

scalebound should be added too. 

I would like to nominate record to that record gets a honorable mention.  announced with deception marketing.  they went out of their way to make it perceived as a massive AAA title.  was really a (bad) AA title.