Shawn Layden on Sony games on PC

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 04, 2021, 05:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Oct 04, 2021, 05:07 PM Last Edit: Oct 04, 2021, 05:11 PM by the-pi-guy
Summary by dex on Era
https://www.resetera.com/threads/shawn-layden-on-sony-strategy-regarding-pc-releases.495570/

Initiative started during Shawn presidency
Goal was to show PC users what PlayStation can offer
He doesn't think that just because Sony releases some games on PC people will buy console but some will
There was no downside releasing titles that reached sales saturation on consoles

From 1:29:20 on

the-pi-guy

Shawn believes it's a win-win.

- Releasing games after sales saturation, so it doesn't cannibalize PS game sales, and they can continue to sell more on PC.  

- thinks it might convince some amount of PC owners to buy Playstation.  

Paraphrasing here: "how do we get more people into PlayStation, when all we are doing is talking to people who already own PlayStation?"

Legend

I don't disagree with his points, but I feel like he ignored the emotional/fanboy side. The identity of a console is super important and late pc ports partially dilutes that.

Also personally it decreases the value of getting a system late in the gen/return to a brand. A big reason I returned to xbox is because I wanted to play all the exclusives I had missed out on over the past gen.

Doesn't really matter though. Traditional consoles are dead anyway and nothing is going to stop the industry from switching to software based ecosystems. I think the big reason companies are mixing it up is that they know the large cut they make from every 3rd party console game is not sustainable.

BananaKing

I don't disagree with his points, but I feel like he ignored the emotional/fanboy side. The identity of a console is super important and late pc ports partially dilutes that.

Also personally it decreases the value of getting a system late in the gen/return to a brand. A big reason I returned to xbox is because I wanted to play all the exclusives I had missed out on over the past gen.

Doesn't really matter though. Traditional consoles are dead anyway and nothing is going to stop the industry from switching to software based ecosystems. I think the big reason companies are mixing it up is that they know the large cut they make from every 3rd party console game is not sustainable.
As long as they have a storefront its sustainable.

Honestly I don't ever see gaming hardware going, at least not anytime soon. Internet speeds are just not fast enough, reliable or have the quick input lag for gaming properly. Specially not multiplayer games.

I also believe that people like buying shame, they like buying consoles, they like the ownership aspect of it.  As long as the product is interesting, I can always see gaming hardware being sold.

Anyways as far as hardware is, gaming has never been so big. PC is huge, PS is huge, switch is huge, and xbox still can't meet demand.

Legend

As long as they have a storefront its sustainable.

Honestly I don't ever see gaming hardware going, at least not anytime soon. Internet speeds are just not fast enough, reliable or have the quick input lag for gaming properly. Specially not multiplayer games.

I also believe that people like buying shame, they like buying consoles, they like the ownership aspect of it.  As long as the product is interesting, I can always see gaming hardware being sold.

Anyways as far as hardware is, gaming has never been so big. PC is huge, PS is huge, switch is huge, and xbox still can't meet demand.
I'm not saying hardware will stop. Just that with cross buy and cross play, the exclusive storefront model is ending.

kitler53

fanboys are going to fanboy but i think shaun is right.

once the sales reach saturation on a console it does not harm to late port to PC.   i really don't think the overlap in PC/console users is all that high tbh.   i'm on console because i just want something that "works".   PC hardware is expensive and far worst,.. it's soo dang much labor to keep the system up and running.   i get that some people will do that labor to get to mods and whatever,.. i just want a "good enough" off the shelf solution and will stay with consoles regardless.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens