The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Cool that people don't need to wear glasses with it, but at first I got my hopes up that it had variable focus. (I don't wear glasses but that's what it does right?)
I had the same first thought, but it makes more sense for it to be for glasses users.  

the-pi-guy

They look very reflective in this image, unless they double as screens?! 
(I doubt)

Maybe a surface, to ensure it works in more lighting conditions?

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Mark Zuckerberg
I spent the day with the Facebook Reality Labs research team in Redmond to demo our next-generation virtual reality, augmented reality and artifical intelligence tech. This one is an early retina resolution prototype. The future is going to be awesome.

Legend

Have you ran the numbers? What resolution would be needed with a good fov to have retina resolution?

the-pi-guy

Have you ran the numbers? What resolution would be needed with a good fov to have retina resolution?

~60 ppd is usually what I hear as retina resolution.  

~120 degrees per eye

Something along the lines of 16k display should be the limits of what the eyes need. And realistically probably don't need that much.

the-pi-guy

Official:
VIVE Flow | VIVE United States

Vive Flow Hands-On: A VR Headset For Watching Netflix

Ehhh..  in practice this looks like a better Oculus Go, that costs a lot more.  

Basically double what I paid for the Oculus Quest 2, with worse resolution, worse refresh rate, no real battery (has to be plugged in), worse chipset, no controllers, and currently no hand tracking.  

The only benefits, are that it should be easier to wear and there's no Facebook requirement.  

For $500.

I have tended to write HTC off, because it seems like they're primarily going after Pro/Enterprise sales, but this is a downright bad deal.  

Legend

Needing a plug in is crazy. Sure it makes the headset lighter but for this "classy" market that sounds like a huge limitation.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Varjo For All

Varjo Teases 'Varjo For All' Message Ahead Of New Reveal

Varjo only makes enterprise headsets at the current moment. But they've got a killer enterprise headset.
With their enterprise headset each eye sees two different screens, one on top of the other. With a retina level display in the center.  

The next 12 months could be a really great time for VR, dare I say better than 2016.  

the-pi-guy

Varjo For All

Varjo Teases 'Varjo For All' Message Ahead Of New Reveal

Varjo only makes enterprise headsets at the current moment. But they've got a killer enterprise headset.
With their enterprise headset each eye sees two different screens, one on top of the other. With a retina level display in the center.  

The next 12 months could be a really great time for VR, dare I say better than 2016.  
A $1900 headset isn't VR for all.   ::)

Varjo Aero brings high-fidelity VR to professionals and enthusiasts | VentureBeat

the-pi-guy

Legend

Sure both of these are way outside my budget, but it'll be great for theme parks and arcade like setups.

It's actually kinda incredible that modern VR was born on the cheap consumer end.

nnodley

Fun fact, I worked with a guy whose brother left the studio I was at to go work for Varjo in Finland.

The varjo headset looks pretty great

the-pi-guy

Facebook is supposed to be spending a huge amount of money on VR R and D, but it doesn't really feel like they are that far ahead.  

It's actually kinda incredible that modern VR was born on the cheap consumer end.
It really is and there were  3 pretty decent consumer grade headsets.

AR seems to have gone the other way.

the-pi-guy

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas VR in development for Oculus Quest 2
Facebook sign in requirement going away next year.
Zuck promises they'll support Quest sideload.

Personal thought: Honestly software is probably where the bulk of Facebook's VR R&D is going.

Go Up