VR will flop

Viewing single post

Started by kitler53, Mar 02, 2015, 07:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

So I kind of tagged this earlier, and wanted to come back to it.

>Technology should be social not anti-social:

A few of the biggest VR games are social experiences.  The biggest one is VRChat.  But there's other experiences like the Star Trek, and Keep Talking.  

>VR is too expensive:

Still pretty true.  I think we're slowly getting to the point where this is getting to be less of an issue.  But it's largely on Sony.  Oculus Quest with price cuts could be a game changer though.  

>but the experience... won't happen.

Fairly true.  But Bethesda and Insomniac Games have been really great supporters of VR.  Rockstar Games has something coming, and Valve has 3 major titles coming forward.

>but the experience... sucks for (most) games anyways.

I can now speak on this with actual experience.  
Mapping movement is fine.  It does take away a little bit, but it's still a huge boon to be able to use your hands.  It's still cool to watch the world basically move past you.  

I know a lot of people don't like teleportation, but when you get into it, teleportation actually works amazingly well and it keeps the immersion.  

>but the experience... adds (almost) nothing to movies.

What Legend said a while ago.  
It's actually remarkable how good a headset is at being able to simulate a huge screen.  And yes the headsets are bulky and most people probably don't want to be using one for a whole movie, but we'll get smaller headsets in the future.

>the technology:
Has been surprisingly good.  Sony's pushed a lot of games at a great frame rate.  And all 3 headsets have software to smooth out the experience.  So a 45, or 60 fps experience still usually feels as smooth as a 90/120 fps experience.