Virgin Orbit launches to orbit. Welcome to the club.

Started by Legend, Jan 18, 2021, 01:27 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

TommyJ

Great!
I am glad that there is news about different operators for launching small satellites.
At the recent SmallSat 2021 symposium, some experts said that such operators may not be needed.
But after all, such operators can offer customers an individual launch schedule, an individual orbit, etc.
So experts say that there will be only group launches.
Hope this is not the case.

Legend

Great!
I am glad that there is news about different operators for launching small satellites.
At the recent SmallSat 2021 symposium, some experts said that such operators may not be needed.
But after all, such operators can offer customers an individual launch schedule, an individual orbit, etc.
So experts say that there will be only group launches.
Hope this is not the case.
I think Tory Bruno from ULA made a good point recently. Small sat launchers are needed but we really need more companies jumping into satellite manufacturing and in space operations. Imagine if we had a dozen startups building space tugs, solar power beaming, debris catchers, etc.

As is I think only Rocket lab and Virgin Orbit will get enough contracts to stay healthy.

TommyJ

Of course, demand creates supply. But it seems to me that you are now talking more about government contracts. I still hope that private companies will pay more attention to the opportunities that space has to offer them.
And that most of the existing private space companies will have enough customers and this will grow into a "global space market". More competition can lead to more progress.

Legend

Of course, demand creates supply. But it seems to me that you are now talking more about government contracts. I still hope that private companies will pay more attention to the opportunities that space has to offer them.
And that most of the existing private space companies will have enough customers and this will grow into a "global space market". More competition can lead to more progress.
I'm meaning private just like how Virgin Orbit, Rocket Lab, Firefly, Relativity, etc. are private. Imagine if you could name just as many new companies that were building innovative payloads. Outside of internet constellations, payloads aren't getting the same love.

SpaceJac

I'm meaning private just like how Virgin Orbit, Rocket Lab, Firefly, Relativity, etc. are private. Imagine if you could name just as many new companies that were building innovative payloads. Outside of internet constellations, payloads aren't getting the same love.
Well, I know there's a private space company in the UK established the same year as Virgin Orbit.  As I understand, their work is focused on building rockets, launch vehicles, and even space tugs, but they may join the ranks of satellite manufacturers. However, I guess they've achieved a lot since 2017. Of course, they aren't on the same level as Virgin Orbit, but it's a matter of time.