PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I'm a little bit disappointed in some of the PS5 HW.  

The expansion slot is apparently not being activated because there is a heating issue.  

There is one RAM module that gets overly hot.  

The disc drive gets ridiculously loud.  It literally vibrates the TV stand.  

There's a fan lottery.  Mine is dead silent, but not for everyone.  

None of the issues are likely big enough to matter.  But I wish Sony invested more in the design.

Legend

I'm a little bit disappointed in some of the PS5 HW.  

The expansion slot is apparently not being activated because there is a heating issue.  

There is one RAM module that gets overly hot.  

The disc drive gets ridiculously loud.  It literally vibrates the TV stand.  

There's a fan lottery.  Mine is dead silent, but not for everyone.  

None of the issues are likely big enough to matter.  But I wish Sony invested more in the design.
It's funny how pre launch the massive size felt like they were being overly cautious. Now it just seems like a giant console aka launch PS3 2.0.

Xevross

Mar 01, 2021, 10:03 AM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2021, 10:06 AM by Xevross
It's funny how pre launch the massive size felt like they were being overly cautious. Now it just seems like a giant console aka launch PS3 2.0.
Yeah me and Pi were talking about this before. Basically the excuse was well the PS5 is so big because cooling/ fan noise/ whatever. But it turns out the design is worse than Series X in every regard.

- Less powerful
- Much bigger in volume
- Worse airflow leading to less efficient cooling
- Louder fan (even the quiet PS5 fan is a lot louder than SX)
- Higher system temps all round with one particularly dodgy spot (SSD)
- Doesn't have full Zen2 features like SX
- Extra SSD slot that requires opening the system so more of hassle to install
- This extra SSD slot isn't enabled yet and when it is it will cause the fan to get even louder
- General problems like loud disc drive and sporadic problems like coil whine while SX seems pretty faultless
- The white plates on the side actually cause the system internals to heat up by a few degrees on top of making the console a lot bigger and harder to fit into spaces

Its actually quite crazy that the Sony team got so out-engineered. I really am baffled as to what happened here. The only thing PS5 has going for it for me personally is that I think it looks a lot better.

Last gen it was kind of similar but in the other direction, but even then the PS4 had jet engine fans while the XB1 was very quiet so it wasn't quite this bad. A big turnaround in one gen.

Legend

Mar 05, 2021, 10:52 PM Last Edit: Mar 05, 2021, 11:01 PM by Legend
Maquette was not good.

Poor puzzles and poor story imo. Also I broke it twice and had to restart. Also I glitched out of bounds way before I was supposed to. Was fun, but my method was not supposed to work.

One puzzle I don't even know how to solve. I glitched an out of bounds solution that did not feel legit.

EDT: I will say though, the voice acting was great.

Legend

Dr. Pezus

kitler53

even if they can't increase production the early evidence suggests current production is pretty healthy compared to ps4. 

the demand is much higher (or really just front loader) but production isn't exactly bad. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

the-pi-guy

Was new on resetera! I think...
It got bumped.  

There was a bit of that article that got missed on Era.  Sony said 63% of games were sold digitally last year.  They made a new thread after someone said it was off topic.  

kitler53

OMg.  what happened to will smith, he was here i swear it.

Legend

Mar 11, 2021, 10:04 PM Last Edit: Mar 11, 2021, 10:36 PM by Legend
OMg.  what happened to will smith, he was here i swear it.
Guess he fell on hard times and started shilling medicine.

the-pi-guy

Why do I feel like Sony has like 2 OS developers who have to do everything?

kitler53

i couldn't find anything when i searched now but i swear i read something a while back that indicated they have about 100.   

compared to MS it's not much and generally speaking i think for a team that size they are pretty productive.

Xevross

PS5 OS I thought was okay because it runs a lot smoother than PS4's but it really does suck now I think. So many features missing compared to PS4 due to the fresh start, so so many things that the xbox consoles do way better.

the-pi-guy

Go Up