Bethesda: "We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans"

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 22, 2017, 01:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

GamesBeat: There's probably quite a bit of pent-up demand for something like this on a Nintendo platform.
Hines: We haven't done anything on a Nintendo platform in forever. Breath of the Wild being the runaway colossal hit that it is, there's certainly some belief like, "Hey, if you like open-world RPGs where you can explore and do what you want, Skyrim might be a good fit for you." I don't know what the exact size is, but some number of people who own Switches have never played Skyrim before. It's a new thing for them, and for folks who have played the game, the ability to take it on the road--you're going on a trip or commuting to work, it's a great time.
And Doom is a completely different kind of game from what everyone else is doing. It's a very visceral, violent, bloody, fun first-person shooter. We're excited. They both have their place in what's going on with that platform.

GamesBeat: When you put it on the big screen, you're probably getting something that doesn't look much different than elsewhere.
Hines: That's the goal, yeah.
GamesBeat: With these games on these platforms, what are some of the expectations? Do you think these games can do just as well on Switch as the platforms they're already launched on?
Hines: Certainly we think they can really well. What that means respective to the installed base or to other stuff--we're not coming from the same place with Skyrim in terms of, "Everyone on this platform already knows the Elder Scrolls series." There's some amount of--this is new to folks. We have to introduce it to them and explain what it is. It's the same with Doom. There is some crossover, but there's also a new audience that isn't sure what these games are. They haven't played a Doom or a Skyrim. There is some education there as far as, "Here's why these games are cool and fun."

GamesBeat: Did you have any particular kind of conversation with Nintendo when you proposed this?
Hines: Honestly, it's been a long series of them. They came out to see us before they unveiled the Switch to show us what the hardware was like, what they were doing with it. We've been in constant conversation with them, and not just about the two games we have now, but about our whole approach to the platform going forward - what we can do, best practices, what things are a good fit, what they're excited about in what we're doing. We're obviously excited about these two games, but it's not as if we're going to just do these two games and that's it. We want this to be the start of a relationship that we build with Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

GamesBeat: With the installed base growing at the rate it is, is it back to being as good a platform as any?
Hines: The thing we really like--a lot of us, myself and a good chunk of the folks here working this event, we all brought our Switches with us. We have them on the plane. That's something you can do with that platform that you can't do with others. I can play this home, but more important, I can take it with me to places I can't take Destiny 2. I can take this on the plane, to my hotel room, on vacation. That portability, for those of us who live and breathe video games, is a pretty cool feature.
The Switch and VR represent new audiences for Bethesda | GamesBeat

Cute Pikachu

Where Capcom at.
This was unexpected honestly.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Legend

Yeah Bethesda is aligning closely with Switch.

I can only think of four "unexpected" switch ports, and three are from Bethesda.

DerNebel

Sep 23, 2017, 11:00 AM Last Edit: Sep 23, 2017, 04:24 PM by DerNebel
Where Capcom at.
This was unexpected honestly.
Oh god let's please not bring this garbage discussion in here,as well. fudgy Media Create threads are absolutely insufferable thanks to all the Capcom whining going on in them on Gaf.

Also @OP, let's see their stance after they see their games performing on the Switch saleswise.

Cute Pikachu

Oh god let's please not bring this garbage discussion in here,as well. fudgy Media Create threads are absolutely insufferable thanks to all the Capcom whining going on in them on Gaf.

Also @OP, let's see their stance after they see their games performing on the Switch saleswise.
Yeah it just pisses me off they aren't willing to localize MHXX. It would have been a good game to play before World came put(which is one of my most anticipated games of 2018).
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new