Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Tarantino's latest getting great reviews from Cannes!

Also the deadwood movie is coming out and has some strong reviews already

the-pi-guy

Legend

Xevross

Looks like Avatar is gonna live for another year. Endgame is now running too slowly to catch it.

In other box office news, Aladdin is exceeding expectations in its opening weekend. Its looking at a 4-day of nicely over $100m domestic, possibly $230m+ worldwide. Nothing special but WOM seems good so it could have a decent run.

Long range tracking for The Lion King also arrived and its pointing to a domestic OW of $180-200m+ at the moment.

Dr. Pezus

Looks like Avatar is gonna live for another year. Endgame is now running too slowly to catch it.

In other box office news, Aladdin is exceeding expectations in its opening weekend. Its looking at a 4-day of nicely over $100m domestic, possibly $230m+ worldwide. Nothing special but WOM seems good so it could have a decent run.

Long range tracking for The Lion King also arrived and its pointing to a domestic OW of $180-200m+ at the moment.
Lion king is beastly

Xevross

WOM for Aladdin seems very strong despite the rotten rating. Yet another mis-match between critics and audience. Every daily % change so far has been phenomenal, if Disney didn't fudge up the marketing this could have been another $1b film. Oh well.

BananaKing

So does avengers have a shot at avatar?

Xevross

So does avengers have a shot at avatar?
Nope. Only chance is if there's a big re-expansion or a late boost from Spidey, something like that. I'll let y'all know if the picture changes, but right now Endgame seems like it'll fall around $20-30m short. Its running below IW now which made $81m more from this point and Endgame needs $101m to pass Avatar.

That $81m came from some great legs from IW and Endgame is facing some tough competition coming up, so its legs will at best match IW from here without a boost from Disney.

Xevross

Toy Story 4 pre-sales smoked day 1 pre-sales of Incredibles 2. Now that is really surprising. If it keeps that up then its bound to outperform TS3 and be another $1b film for the mouse.

Xevross

Jun 01, 2019, 07:45 AM Last Edit: Jun 01, 2019, 07:54 AM by Xevross
Godzilla KOTM is performing badly. Early presales were suggesting it might have been the biggest OW of May, but then Aladdin exploded and now Godzilla is doing poorly and in fact Aladdin's 2nd weekend is going to be pretty close to Godzilla's OW figure. Ouch.

Friday early estimates: Godzilla $19m (incl. $6.3m previews), Aladdin $11.2m, Rocketman doing fairly well with $8.8m as well (incl. $1.8m previews).

Godzilla cinemascore is B+ which is really bad for a franchise film, legs won't be good.

So far Warner Bros are having a really bad year. Detective Pikachu, Lego Movie 2 and now Godzilla all doing badly and Shazam was okay at best.

Almost halfway through the year and the top 3 hollywood movies so far are: Endgame $2.7b, CM $1.1b, How to Train Your Dragon 3 $519m... big gaps! Outside of top 2 its been a disappointing year so far, at least Aladdin should be making $700m+

Legend

WOM for Aladdin seems very strong despite the rotten rating. Yet another mis-match between critics and audience. Every daily % change so far has been phenomenal, if Disney didn't fudge up the marketing this could have been another $1b film. Oh well.
I forgot to mention it but I saw Aladdin the other day. Was freaking horrible at first but slowly started to build into a good film. In the end I definitely liked it. Seems like it'll be yet another classic that mostly replaces the original going forward.

Xevross

Jun 02, 2019, 04:31 PM Last Edit: Jun 02, 2019, 04:35 PM by Xevross
Aladdin with a beautiful overseas hold in its second weekend, and a good second week hold dom as well. $700m+ locked pretty much, $800m+ looking good depending on how Japan takes to it. $446m worldwide total so far.

Contrast to Godzilla which debuted with a big yikes. Studio estimate earlier this week was $230m WW opening, which was still fairly low-end and they were hoping for more. Actually come in at $179m.... yikers. $49m dom debut, Aladdin second weekend estimate is $42m, pretty close.

Endgame side, dropping away from IW dom and overseas pretty fast now. Only $16.4m for the weekend worldwide, compared to $20m+ for IW... so yeah Avatar dreams are dead for now.

Legend

Replicas was a bit slow and a bit boring, but still good or so.

Xevross

Watched the new Godzilla. Waste of money really, should have watched it when it came out on digital so I could pirate it and go on my phone during the numerous long boring bits without any monsters :P

Kong Skull Island was miles better, can see why this is flopping at the box office.

Aladdin already $900k ahead of Godzilla on Monday (4.7 vs 3.8 ). $4.7m second monday for Aladdin is pretty insane, legs for that film are incredible.

Legend

Watched the new Godzilla. Waste of money really, should have watched it when it came out on digital so I could pirate it and go on my phone during the numerous long boring bits without any monsters :P

Kong Skull Island was miles better, can see why this is flopping at the box office.

Aladdin already $900k ahead of Godzilla on Monday (4.7 vs 3.8 ). $4.7m second monday for Aladdin is pretty insane, legs for that film are incredible.
I've been hearing bad things about Godzilla too. Still probably going to go see it though since my cousin worked on the special effects.

Go Up