Xbox series X Hotchip deep dive

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 17, 2020, 04:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Xbox series X Hotchip deep dive | ResetEra

www.tomshardware.com   Microsoft Xbox Series X Architecture Deep Dive at Hot Chips 2020  AMD's APUs come out of hiding   www.tomshardware.com www.tomshardware.com    

EDIT 7nm is expensive APU is more expensive than Xbox One X

[/size]

kitler53

i'm not enough of a tech guy to understand much other than:

xbox one         4.8B     $
    xbox one x      6.6B     $+
    xbox series x   15.4B   $++

with the SSD, case, cooling, ect all being more expensive than xbox one x too i can't see this launching below the $500 the xbox one x launched at.   ...and at $500 they are probably taking a sizable loss.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Aug 17, 2020, 06:04 PM Last Edit: Aug 17, 2020, 06:27 PM by the-pi-guy
One thing that is in one of the slides using Machine Learning for resolution scaling. (DLSS kind of technology).  
i'm not enough of a tech guy to understand much other than:

xbox one         4.8B     $
    xbox one x      6.6B     $+
    xbox series x   15.4B   $++

with the SSD, case, cooling, ect all being more expensive than xbox one x too i can't see this launching below the $500 the xbox one x launched at.   ...and at $500 they are probably taking a sizable loss.
Case/cooling isn't a major driver of costs.  
APU, SSD are the major drivers of cost.  

PS5's Bom is supposed to be $450.
XSX is supposed to be in the range of $460-$520.

Basically: $500 with a bit of a loss seems like the most likely outcome.  

$400 is possible, with a larger loss.  Consoles used to take much larger losses, but they haven't this past gen.  PS3 had a loss of like $300.  X360 had a similarly large loss actually.  

If they were as confident about their margins as they were the PS4 gen, $500 seems like a certainty.  If they are as confident as the PS3 gen, $400 seems more likely.