Nintendo to revive scalebound, sources say

Started by Legend, Feb 18, 2019, 09:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

RUMOR: Nintendo has plans to revive a 'Dead and Buried' game (Update: Possibly Scalebound?) | ResetEra

Searched and did not see a thread

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/rumour_nintendo_has_plans_to_revive_a_dead_and_buried_game

Last week, Game Informer's Senior Editor Imran Khan participated in the Kinda Funny Games show and ended up making reference to a "dead and buried" title Nintendo supposedly has intentions of reviving, even though it was "officially" canned.

This is what he had to say, as transcribed by Nintendo Everything:

"There's a game that's thought to be dead that Nintendo's reviving, and it's not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried - very officially cancelled."

What could it be? I'm hoping for the canned Eternal Darkness sequel though I think that's legally impossible...

UPDATE: Some new information pertaining to this rumour:

-It's not a Nintendo developed game.
 -It was a game that was publicly announced and then cancelled

UPDATE 2: New sources claim that it is indeed Scalebound

https://www.nintendo-insider.com/report-scalebound-resurrected-as-a-nintendo-switch-exclusive/  

the-pi-guy

This and Bayonetta 2 would make for the two most surprising things Nintendo has done.  

Xevross

Feb 18, 2019, 09:27 PM Last Edit: Feb 18, 2019, 09:30 PM by Xevross
That would be mad. I imagine xbox would be quite annoyed at that.

Did we ever get the reason Scalebound was cancelled? I imagine it could still be made into a great game. Microsoft, as we've seen with Crackdown 3, have no idea how to rescue a game so its easy to see why they gave up with it.

Nintendo have a great relationship with Platinum, this could work well. Saying that, I don't believe it. The game Nintendo is reviving is surely something else. It seems especially unlikely considering that we know Platinum is already working on at least Astral Chain and Bayo 3.

DerNebel

I'll believe it when I see it. Making up Nintendo rumors seems to have become a new hobby for some people online in the last 2 years.

BananaKing

Didn't Microsoft own the IP?

the-pi-guy

Didn't Microsoft own the IP?
Online it says they've abandoned the trademark.

Legend

Online it says they've abandoned the trademark.
They would still own the ip even if they don't have the trademark. Nintendo would need to buy it or make some changes to the game.

the-pi-guy

Liam Robertson "Is Nintendo Reviving Scalebound or Project HAMMER?" (Also: Decision to Cancel Scalebound was Mutual Between PlatinumGames and MS) | ResetEra

Feel free to report for lock if this doesn't need its own thread.

Liam Robertson was one of the folk who called out the cancellation of Scalebound (maybe even was the first - I don't specifically recall) before it happened and also had a video about why the game was cancelled. He then later implied he had more information about the troubled development of the game but it wasn't something he could reveal without causing problems for Platinum.

The new video today gave Robertson's opinion on the current talk of a "Nintendo revival" with respect to Scalebound and Project HAMMER and can be bulleted down to this...
  • Neither game is likely to come back.
  • Project HAMMER was a mess of a project that caused so much damage there's no reason to dig it up.
  • Robertson can't talk about Scalebound in specifics because of legal issues. *Clarified here
  • Platinum has unannounced projects and pitches but Robertson's has heard nothing that has indicated Scalebound.
  • The decision to cancel Scalebound was a mutual one between PlatinumGames and Microsoft.
  • One of the biggest reasons it was cancelled was the tech could not run the vision for the game. Bringing it back on even weaker hardware seems a strange decision.
  • Scalebound was a very personal project for the team. Picking it up when many folk who worked on it have left (and apparently more are planning on leaving) seems against PG's studio culture.
  • Rumor that Platinum has shelved a major project recently because they couldn't staff it. They don't have the manpower for another big game right now.
  • No reason for Microsoft to sell Scalebound as it would do damage to Microsoft. Showing that they were incapable of making the project happen but NIntendo could.
  • Robertson heard Nintendo and Microsoft are working on big things together.
  • Doesn't think PlatinumGames has the money to buy Scalebound.

[/size]

Xevross

Yeah, he's right. Scalebound is very, very unlikely.