previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Cute Pikachu

Summer is packed
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

kitler53

i did not play the orginal mario maker so feel free to ignore me as being "ignorant"....

...but as a guy who watched trailers from both games i do not see anything about this sequel that is distinguishable from the original game.  it looks like a port as far as i can see.   or maybe a port with a dlc package worth of new content.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i did not play the orginal mario maker so feel free to ignore me as being "ignorant"....

...but as a guy who watched trailers from both games i do not see anything about this sequel that is distinguishable from the original game.  it looks like a port as far as i can see.   or maybe a port with a dlc package worth of new content.  
Yeah it looks like that to me too, but what else could they do with it? The game isn't like LittleBigPlanet where it has a story or is free to introduce new mechanics.

kitler53

Feb 14, 2019, 04:32 PM Last Edit: Feb 14, 2019, 04:34 PM by kitler53
Yeah it looks like that to me too, but what else could they do with it? The game isn't like LittleBigPlanet where it has a story or is free to introduce new mechanics.
they could have taken the franchise into the 3D mario space.  that would have truely been a sequel.   I mean, that is effectly what LBP 2 did when they added the direct control mechanic.  that opened move the franchise from just 2D platformer to allow top down view mechanics.  that was a substantial shift in "what is possible".  

adding slopes.  i dunno man.  people can be excited about it but it only makes me think why wasn't this in the original?   i mean, slopes were every where in super mario world...

and why the hell not (..could they introduce new mechanics).  every other mario game is free to introduce mechanics.  why is mario maker not allowed to?

the-pi-guy

...but as a guy who watched trailers from both games i do not see anything about this sequel that is distinguishable from the original game.  it looks like a port as far as i can see.   or maybe a port with a dlc package worth of new content.  
New items, enemies,etc.  

But yeah, it seems like it's largely a port.  

Xevross

Yeah its not really a sequel since its just tool creation. Its got more game themes, a few more features. They can call it #2 just because... they can. It will probably sell more that way.

Legend

they could have taken the franchise into the 3D mario space.  that would have truely been a sequel.   I mean, that is effectly what LBP 2 did when they added the direct control mechanic.  that opened move the franchise from just 2D platformer to allow top down view mechanics.  that was a substantial shift in "what is possible".  

adding slopes.  i dunno man.  people can be excited about it but it only makes me think why wasn't this in the original?   i mean, slopes were every where in super mario world...

and why the hell not (..could they introduce new mechanics).  every other mario game is free to introduce mechanics.  why is mario maker not allowed to?
3D mario would be way too hard to make good. Every 3D Mario game is pretty unique so you'd have a weird hodgepodge of features on top of all the issues with 3D level editors.

LBP 2 expanded the game to non LBP levels, that's true. I guess it's just that Mario Maker is treated like a level editor instead of a game creator. The point is to make your own versions of Mario levels, not make your own games.

But thinking about it more, Super Mario Odyssey makes me agree with you actually. That game had classic 2D sections but still introduced new things. Super Mario Maker 2 could have added things like gravity distortion, multiplayer, time manipulation, overworlds, etc. while still being true to form.

Cute Pikachu

3d Mario would be extremely difficult to pull off.
It looks hype though
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

kitler53

3D mario would be way too hard to make good. Every 3D Mario game is pretty unique so you'd have a weird hodgepodge of features on top of all the issues with 3D level editors.

LBP 2 expanded the game to non LBP levels, that's true. I guess it's just that Mario Maker is treated like a level editor instead of a game creator. The point is to make your own versions of Mario levels, not make your own games.

But thinking about it more, Super Mario Odyssey makes me agree with you actually. That game had classic 2D sections but still introduced new things. Super Mario Maker 2 could have added things like gravity distortion, multiplayer, time manipulation, overworlds, etc. while still being true to form.
no arguments that adding 3D mario would be hard.  but...

1. the amount of (perceived) development effort has a huge impact on consumer reception of what it means to be a "true sequel" or a "lazy port" or a "expansion".   i don't see enough effort here to call it a true sequel.   seems like an enhanced port.  if priced as a enhanced port no one would complain.  as i assumed this will be priced as a true sequel i am now complaining.

2. it's not like you'd need to put in "every" 3D mario game.  unless i'm really bad at reading when you make a level in mario maker you pick an aesthetic that corresponds to a specific mario era.   in the top left of this picture is "super mario world".

they could have expanded to just "mario 64".   that would feel like an expansion worthy of a "2".

3. dreams is a 3D level editor.  hard doesn't mean impossible.  it just means you actually have to put in some development effort,.. a thing nintendo seems to be allergic to.

the-pi-guy

Feb 14, 2019, 08:00 PM Last Edit: Feb 14, 2019, 08:08 PM by the-pi-guy
no arguments that adding 3D mario would be hard.  but...

1. the amount of (perceived) development effort has a huge impact on consumer reception of what it means to be a "true sequel" or a "lazy port" or a "expansion".   i don't see enough effort here to call it a true sequel.   seems like an enhanced port.  if priced as a enhanced port no one would complain.  as i assumed this will be priced as a true sequel i am now complaining.

2. it's not like you'd need to put in "every" 3D mario game.  unless i'm really bad at reading when you make a level in mario maker you pick an aesthetic that corresponds to a specific mario era.   in the top left of this picture is "super mario world".

they could have expanded to just "mario 64".   that would feel like an expansion worthy of a "2".

3. dreams is a 3D level editor.  hard doesn't mean impossible.  it just means you actually have to put in some development effort,.. a thing nintendo seems to be allergic to.

3. Dreams is more of a bonafide game engine.
I think partly Nintendo just doesn't want to give that kind of control, not just laziness. 

2.  That is how it works. But to add 3D would require a lot more work than what they've done here.  The way the level editor works is that you are able to change the game mid level editing.

It doesn't change the editor at all, all it does is change how all the objects/ground/background get colored.  So you can completely change the aesthetic with the press of two buttons after populating a level with everything. That makes it easier to develop in some ways, but it also makes it easier while making levels. 

They'd have to do a fair amount of restructuring with how the game is built to make it work with 3D. 

I agree.  Nintendo has a habit of keeping their games full priced, to boot.