Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Feb 01, 2019, 10:12 AM Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 10:28 AM by Xevross
PS4 2018 shipments 17.7M
Switch 2018 shipments 17.4M

Close one.

Xevross

Feb 01, 2019, 10:14 AM Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 10:21 AM by Xevross

Incredible turnaround from the PS3 disaster. This is by far playstations best ever year.

And so much of that turnaround is thanks to PSN, which is soaring and now makes up 55% of playstation's income:

Dr. Pezus

Thanks for the additional info. Was on my phone getting ready for NYC!

DerNebel

Since I haven't seen anyone mention this anywhere I'm just going to go ahead and say that I'm a little puzzled at how Sony plans to still achieve their fiscal year targets for the gaming division. Not necessarily in terms of hardware sales, 2.3 million seems feasible, not easy since they only did 2.5 million last year, but it seems doable.

Their revenue and especially the OI targets seem a lot more difficult to me however.

They project revenue to grow by 20%, which I can see working out simply due to the stronger lineup compared to the same quarter last year, though potentially offset by Fortnite fever maybe not being quite as strong as it was last year anymore.

Operating income however just doesn't seem plausable to me. They expect to more than triple their OI compared to last year (from 19.6 bln Yen to about 63 bln Yen, which I simply don't see working out even with the better games lineup. I mean Q1 & Q2 where massively up in terms of OI this year, but I have to assume that those numbers where hugely helped by the immense success of GoW and Spider-Man respectively. And they don't have that tentpole first party title this Q4 to help them with this goal (did they maybe forget that they delayed Days Gone? :D).

I don't know maybe I'm misjudging this and it'll all work out how they planned it, but I'm skeptical here.

kitler53

well done playstation!  looking forward to it breaking the 100m mark this year and moving into the 5th most selling console slot.  actually, by the end of the year it ought to overcome the ps to take the 4th slot.

PS4 2018 shipments 17.7M
Switch 2018 shipments 17.4M

Close one.

ps4 will certainly be down YoY in 2019,.. should be an easy win for switch in 2019.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

well done playstation!  looking forward to it breaking the 100m mark this year and moving into the 5th most selling console slot.  actually, by the end of the year it ought to overcome the ps to take the 4th slot.

ps4 will certainly be down YoY in 2019,.. should be an easy win for switch in 2019.
Yeah Switch is going to be #1 the next two years. It would take something ridiculous for this not to happen.

I imagine PS5 will retake the crown for Sony in 2021 though.

kitler53

Yeah Switch is going to be #1 the next two years. It would take something ridiculous for this not to happen.

I imagine PS5 will retake the crown for Sony in 2021 though.
mayhaps.  i'm curious how fast the transition to ps5 will go.  i don't feel the "hunger" for a new gen that i felt at the end of the ps3 life-cycle.  i imagine games will be even more "cross-gen" going into the ps5 then it was with the ps4.

i reserve the right to change my mind when things are announced but,...
...i just don't know if there is anything sony can do to make me rush out to get a new system.  the ps4 is pretty dang awesome.  i loved my ps3 but i had a lot of things to complain about too.  i just don't have any complaints about the ps4 which means i also can't think of anything to fix that will entice me to a next gen.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Feb 01, 2019, 03:51 PM Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 04:06 PM by Xevross
mayhaps.  i'm curious how fast the transition to ps5 will go.  i don't feel the "hunger" for a new gen that i felt at the end of the ps3 life-cycle.  i imagine games will be even more "cross-gen" going into the ps5 then it was with the ps4.

i reserve the right to change my mind when things are announced but,...
...i just don't know if there is anything sony can do to make me rush out to get a new system.  the ps4 is pretty dang awesome.  i loved my ps3 but i had a lot of things to complain about too.  i just don't have any complaints about the ps4 which means i also can't think of anything to fix that will entice me to a next gen.
Well next gen is still a year and a half away, most likely. And I imagine this next year and a half is going to slow down quite a lot software wise as most studios focus on next gen now. By the time next year swings around, people will be wanting the new gen to arrive.

Backwards compatibility seems almost guaranteed at this point, which will help next gen start even faster than this one. PS4 sold 14.3M in 2014, and I expect something similar from PS5 in 2021, probably around 15M.

Switch will have dropped below 15M by then. Its trajectory is probably something like 14M (2017), 17M (2018), 20M (2019), 17M (2020), 13M (2021), 9M (2022).

Edit: Actually I just made that up on the spot, maybe I'll do a proper Switch future prediction with some more thought a bit later. Thinking about it now, Switch could well be above 15M in 2021 if Nintendo play it right.

DerNebel

I'm having a discussion right now with someone who thinks that this headline is misleading, because the PSN only includes PS+ and not the games being sold through it. Am I going completely nuts now?

PSN generated more revenue than Nintendo's total revenue and Microsoft's whole gaming division revenue for 2018 : Games

Xevross

I'm having a discussion right now with someone who thinks that this headline is misleading, because the PSN only includes PS+ and not the games being sold through it. Am I going completely nuts now?

PSN generated more revenue than Nintendo's total revenue and Microsoft's whole gaming division revenue for 2018 : Games
I don't know if you're going nuts, but that PSN revenue is all the revenue Sony generates on its store including game sales and MTX. PS+, PSNow, PSVue account for 10% of Sony's revenue while this accounts for 45% (in the last quarter).

DerNebel

I don't know if you're going nuts, but that PSN revenue is all the revenue Sony generates on its store including game sales and MTX. PS+, PSNow, PSVue account for 10% of Sony's revenue while this accounts for 45% (in the last quarter).
Yes, naturally. That's what I'm trying to tell the guy. But it seems he got it now, since he's not responding anymore. Probably doesn't want to admit he's wrong after he insinuated (well actually straight up said) that Zhuge couldn't read financial reports.

Xevross

Yes, naturally. That's what I'm trying to tell the guy. But it seems he got it now, since he's not responding anymore. Probably doesn't want to admit he's wrong after he insinuated (well actually straight up said) that Zhuge couldn't read financial reports.
That's funny. I can never understand people who do stuff like that. If I'm ever going to call someone out like that I'll double check that I'm actually understanding things.

Legend

I never would have thought that people would confuse PS+ with PSN on a gaming subreddit. That's mildly interesting.

DerNebel

Feb 01, 2019, 11:01 PM Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 11:03 PM by DerNebel
I never would have thought that people would confuse PS+ with PSN on a gaming subreddit. That's mildly interesting.
Dude it's just embarrassing. People keep upvoting this post and all the posts agreeing with it even though the content of it is blatantly false. I guess it's being upvoted to "expose the Pro-Sony narrative" or some garbage?

pnt510 kommentiert PSN generated more revenue than Nintendo's total revenue and Microsoft's whole gaming division revenue for 2018

And that sub calls itself a place for "quality game discussions".