Nintendo Switch Lite Announced, September 20th, $199

Started by Xevross, Jul 10, 2019, 12:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Nintendo Switch Lite revealed for $199 - Launches September 20th (has a D-Pad, no HD Rumble, No Dock/TV Output) | ResetEra

www.businesswire.com   Nintendo Introduces Nintendo Switch Lite, a Device Dedicated to Handheld Game Play In a video today, Nintendo introduced Nintendo Switch Lite, a device designed specifically to play Nintendo Switch games in handheld mode. The Nintend    www.businesswire.com    
 Releasing: September 20, 2019
 Price: $199
 Comes in three colors (Grey, Yellow, Turqoise)
 Does not have detachable JoyCons, can't be docked to the TV
 Has D-Pad!

Full press release:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In a video today, Nintendo introduced Nintendo Switch Lite, a device designed specifically to play Nintendo Switch games in handheld mode. The Nintendo Switch Lite system launches Sept. 20 at a suggested retail price of $199.99 and will be available in three different colors: yellow, gray and turquoise. A carrying case and screen protector set for Nintendo Switch Lite will also be available.

"Adding Nintendo Switch Lite to the lineup gives gamers more color and price point options," said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. "Now consumers can choose the system that best suits how they like to play their favorite Nintendo Switch games."

The flagship Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017 and offers three different play modes: playing in TV mode by placing the system into a Nintendo Switch dock, playing cooperatively or competitively in tabletop mode by sharing Joy-Con controllers and playing in handheld mode. The system comes with either Gray Joy-Con controllers or Neon Red and Neon Blue Joy-Con controllers.

Nintendo Switch Lite has integrated controls and is smaller than the flagship version of Nintendo Switch. It has no kickstand and, as a dedicated handheld gaming device, does not support video output to a TV. Therefore, it does not come with a dock or HDMI cable. For a full list of the differences between Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare.

The new device can play all games in the robust Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode*, although some games will have restrictions. Compatible game modes will be listed on the back of game packaging and in Nintendo eShop.

Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite owners can get together to enjoy compatible multiplayer titles like Super Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate together via Nintendo Switch Online** or local wireless multiplayer***.

For additional information about Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/.

* For games that support tabletop mode, players can wirelessly connect Joy-Con controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. In these cases, users will need to have a device to recharge Joy-Con controllers, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip.
 **Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online
 ***Additional systems and software required.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Sorry for the lazy thread, I'm on mobile.

Xevross

Jul 10, 2019, 12:21 PM Last Edit: Jul 10, 2019, 12:22 PM by Xevross
Well switch is going to own this holiday season for sure. Will sell gangbusters everywhere, especially Japan. Finally cheap enough for that 3ds audience. With no dock or hd rumble though this is definitely a cheap version for those who want to save money, so it's not gonna set the world on fire in any other way, just appeal to people on low budgets basically.

the-pi-guy

How big is the screen?

Legend

Jul 10, 2019, 02:03 PM Last Edit: Jul 10, 2019, 02:05 PM by Legend
How big is the screen?

Almost full size.

I'm kinda surprised they made a portable only system. I wonder if this will be their primary market going forward.

Maybe vita 2 has a chance!

kitler53

Jul 10, 2019, 02:11 PM Last Edit: Jul 10, 2019, 02:21 PM by kitler53
Well switch is going to own this holiday season for sure. Will sell gangbusters everywhere, especially Japan. Finally cheap enough for that 3ds audience. With no dock or hd rumble though this is definitely a cheap version for those who want to save money, so it's not gonna set the world on fire in any other way, just appeal to people on low budgets basically.
i disagree.  i think the original switch's sales are going to tank.  switch was never a "hybrid" console.  it is was never anything more than nintendo's next handheld console with a stupid marketing push.   the sales curve was "great!" for their home consoles but only "on par" for their handhelds.  

switch lite only looses access to 3 games of any notability: mario party, 1-2 switch, and labo.   at $100 less and none of the stupid switch lite will be the highest selling sku here on out.

if i buy a switch this is the sku i'll buy.   ...and the 3DS audience already is buying switches.   

Almost full size.

I'm kinda surprised they made a portable only system. I wonder if this will be their primary market going forward.

Maybe vita 2 has a chance!
I doubt it.  the handheld market isn't big enough to support 2 consoles any sony never really took handheld game development seriously enough.  i loved my vita but mostly i played indie games that just felt better on a handheld than they did on a big screen tv.   killzone was pretty decent on vita but it still felt like a "compromised port".  i'd say gravity rush was the only true vita game developed by sony.  

if i get a switch lite it will mostly be the same.  i'd probably get zelda but that's probably it for nintendo games.  maybe that mario + rabbids XCOM rip off.   mostly i would just want to play games like axiom verge, iconoclasts, or hollow knight on the train.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Surprisingly open about what the system cannot do. Maybe this really is just the 2DS equivalent.
I doubt it.  the handheld market isn't big enough to support 2 consoles any sony never really took handheld game development seriously enough.  i loved my vita but mostly i played indie games that just felt better on a handheld than they did on a big screen tv.   killzone was pretty decent on vita but it still felt like a "compromised port".  i'd say gravity rush was the only true vita game developed by sony.  

if i get a switch lite it will mostly be the same.  i'd probably get zelda but that's probably it for nintendo games.  maybe that mario + rabbids XCOM rip off.   mostly i would just want to play games like axiom verge, iconoclasts, or hollow knight on the train.
Yeah I wouldn't expect Sony to bother. This is just so similar from a design point of view.

the-pi-guy

Basically $100 cheaper and lose out on TV gameplay.  That's decent.

the-pi-guy

When they showed the box to talk about how you know if a game can be played on the Switch Lite, I read on the side "supports Nintendo Switch Pro"    

Had to back up to see:  
"Controller" on the next line.    

Xevross

Regular switch model is being replaced/ updated to have almost double the battery life. Will be the standard switch sold from end of August.

Nice red box.

the-pi-guy

That's interesting.  

Only two years old and Nintendo is putting out two different versions of it.  

Both versions look like they are pushing portability over anything else.