Horizon Zero Dawn

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 02, 2017, 04:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Horizon

Still saying meta 84 which would be a great score for a new I.P.

Xevross

Still saying meta 84 which would be a great score for a new I.P.
I think, even though that is a good score for a new IP, with how good all the impressions and previews have been and how much this game looks like it'll be really great for me, I'd definitely feel disappointed if it scored 84.

darkknightkryta

I have 12 days to finish about 30 days worth of backlog.

Xevross

I have 12 days to finish about 30 days worth of backlog.
Good luck!

This is absolutely insane:

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

So this is insane detail... ants... that move... on a tree, in an open world... BRICKS shimed! The game didn't zoom in on that to show me, I just used the camera to cause I wanted a tree close up./

Horizon

I think, even though that is a good score for a new IP, with how good all the impressions and previews have been and how much this game looks like it'll be really great for me, I'd definitely feel disappointed if it scored 84.
Tbh you are right but I am trying to keep level headed but so many journo's and youtubers I know all all like I am playing something under embago but I cannot wait to talk about it soon, this combined with Gaf's initial impressions lead to me to believe this could truly be this gens truly shining new I.P which would be just terrific.

GribbleGrunger

Feb 17, 2017, 12:09 AM Last Edit: Feb 17, 2017, 12:28 AM by GribbleGrunger
Right. Some mechanics feel inspired by Tomb Raider reboot's crafting and upgrades and bow combat, but I think I like it better here, maybe just because I like this game as a whole better. I want to upgrade Aloy to take down robodinosaurs. I want to craft and find health so Aloy doesn't get murdered fighting robodinosaurs. Lol.

I'm playing on Normal difficulty. It's been pretty..."normal" in difficulty so far. I'm not a badass at action games. I enjoyed Metak Gear Rising and Dark Souls and Bayonetta, but I'm not a savant at outrageous difficulties in action games (although I'm pretty good at Souls games).

This difficulty has been perfect for me. The smaller conflicts require thought but don't break pacing. You won't die if you're not stupid.

The larger conflicts I've been in required strategy and I've died a couple of times. I spent a good amount of time yesterday scavenging medical resources because I was badly wounded after an unexpected fight.

You need resources to craft ammo. Some enemies have elemental or certain weapon weaknesses, and without the ammo to craft for that, it's going to be much more difficult to take them down. So I've been caught in fights where I had to retreat or pray for mercy because I'm out of the ammo that would make it easier for me to take the beast down.

I imagine that normal difficulty will be good for many people. Luckily theres lots of difficulty settings.
On TR, I said it's similar because it's the closest thing I can approximate what I played yesterday to. There is an open area, obviously horizon has bigger areas than TR. as you explore there are a bunch of floating not distracting icons saying you can gather this herb. You collect various resources to make healing items, build better gear, make different kinds of ammo. You hide in tall grass and can do stealth kills, lure enemies and you use a bow and arrow (and other weapons that are unlike anything in TR) that has a slow mo activation. Climbing is uncharted like, it's more automatic as you don't even have to press X to go from ledge to ledge.

But instead of humans and a few angry wild animals in horizon you fight robots that all have different attacks, patterns, and weaknesses. Also the quest structure is a lot more witcher than TR. also it's not as collect heavy, ROTR has like a million things to collect, like shoot 10 hidden birds and stuff like that; so far there is none of that in horizon.

So it has a TR feel to it but the combat is mostly it's own thing.
Been doing a lot of sidequests.

They don't feel samey like a lot of open world games do, all the ones I've done so far have been different and very fun.

It was mentioned in one of the impressions that that particular user doesn't care whats going on. Let me explain this a bit more from my point of view. So far, the story seems Meh. It's there, but I don't feel like I've been given a huge reason to care unless it leads to some silly twist which from the time i've played I might be able to guess what it is. It may open up more, but its a bit hard for me as a tech guy to get into because I'm sitting saying "wow really that's not how that works"

The dialogue option is really nice, and feels Mass Effect, minus the reactions as in so far if you choose this over that it won't play a major role later. The facial animation looks super odd, as characters tend to jerk a bit around and like one of the other user said they look "dopey"

I'll say this about the intro, it was hard for me to get attached to it because of the animation during chat, and i didn't feel there was much syncing between characters going around like there is after the intro.

Game is massive, and possible the best Graphics i've seen to date. Didn't think something could top Uncharted 4, and this might have, thats taking into account that it's also an open world game. IDK what kind of Wizards Sony keeps hiring but my god.

The crafting System - I Love it. You can do it on the fly, and craft things in the middle of combat. Its quick and easy.

Like others have said, the game drastically needs a lock-on feature, and I feel the running speed should be increased along with dodging because that can become annoying during combat.

It feels like a good Mix of Witcher, Far Cry, Uncharted, and Tomb Raider if I'm honest.
Insane detail. He had to zoom in to see these ants. He has a PS4pro though and people on GAF are discussing it as if  this level of detail could be exclusive to the Pro. I don't think so myself:

Xevross

Yeah I'd be shocked if the ants were exclusive to pro, it'd make sense that they were much more detailed though.

Also another guy says he's confirmed that if you leave loot for a while there's a chance other machines will come and pick it up. That's fudgy awesome  :o

Legend

I've been avoiding this thread, but that ant pic has me hyped!!!

Level of detail is always a good sign in games.

GribbleGrunger

Yeah I'd be shocked if the ants were exclusive to pro, it'd make sense that they were much more detailed though.

Also another guy says he's confirmed that if you leave loot for a while there's a chance other machines will come and pick it up. That's fudgy awesome  :o
There's no reason why it would be exclusive to the Pro. It will be there on the PS4 but it won't look quite as detailed until you're very close up. Obviously 4K will allow for that detail to be seen a little further away.

Xevross

fudge. The gaf member who was being the most critical, has said that they're now starting to love it as they've got further and the game opens up.

I'm beginning to believe

Legend

fudge. The gaf member who was being the most critical, has said that they're now starting to love it as they've got further and the game opens up.

I'm beginning to believe
Meanwhile I'm beginning to worry this will be a repeat of our Order 1886 pre-release thread.

Remember those GAF early impressions saying the opening outclassed TLOU's opening? Hahaha we were duped.

Xevross

Meanwhile I'm beginning to worry this will be a repeat of our Order 1886 pre-release thread.

Remember those GAF early impressions saying the opening outclassed TLOU's opening? Hahaha we were duped.
Well in this case we have lots of people playing loads of hours, while with the order it was only a couple of people and they didn't play for long.

I've seen the opening sequence and I know it looks excellent so I'm not worried about that bit :D

GribbleGrunger

Holy shame this game opens up! The first area is stupid shame, like a different game. So much to do, so many things to discover. I have to sleep, impressions tomorrow.

Xevross

Feb 17, 2017, 10:47 AM Last Edit: Feb 17, 2017, 10:56 AM by Xevross
Game length discussion

Spoiler for Hidden:
A French reviewer finished the main story in 34 hours with 74% total game completion. This sounds great!<br><br>For context, a GAF member worked out a main story mission gives about 3% progression while a side quest gives 0.5%. Errands give much less than that and other activities probably give a similar very small amount. So, you&#39;d expect that last 26% of the game to take much longer in proportion, as the game weights story missions highly. If that&#39;s the case we&#39;re looking at 50+ hours for 100%

darkknightkryta

Game length discussion

Spoiler for Hidden:
A French reviewer finished the main story in 34 hours with 74% total game completion. This sounds great!

For context, a GAF member worked out a main story mission gives about 3% progression while a side quest gives 0.5%. Errands give much less than that and other activities probably give a similar very small amount. So, you'd expect that last 26% of the game to take much longer in proportion, as the game weights story missions highly. If that's the case we're looking at 50+ hours for 100%

That's good.  I'm tired of 100 hour long games that are just fetch quests.  50 hours for 100% sounds perfect to me.  I'm also impressed with the game's engine.  Even back with Killzone, I remember how people thought it was CGI footage, just for it to be the game.  Looks like they've raised the bar and put in an insane amount of level of detail.  They literally just need to get super computer level lighting/shading and we'd catch up to pre-rendered footage.

Go Up