Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 16, 2020, 11:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

kitler53

Next gen starts tomorrow!  

*Looks at Switch*

I'm not sure if you're being included.
generation just as a word refers to a time period.   not hardware, not specs, not games,.. a time period extending from Date A to Date B.   

xbox and playstation have been releasing very close together and thus their generations are very closely aligned.  nintendo have cut their generations short and are no longer aligned but this much we know,.. switch has spent 3.5 years competing against ps4 and xbox one.  if you have any chance of convincing me that switch occupies the same generation as ps5 and series x then it need to remain competitive against these system for more than 3.5 years so that at least a majority of it's life cycle is against these systems.  so let's have this debate in march of 2024 and we can talk knowing if switch's longevity is still relevant or if nintendo has already moved on to their next system.

...but seriously,.. when has nintendo every supported their systems for 7 years. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Man this has crept up on me. You really have to actually look for it to find excitment for Xbox Series.

I'm interesed to see sales figures, but I'm just expecting very generic "greater than 1 million sold" statements that don't tell us anything except its at least matching last gen launch.

Dr. Pezus

Man this has crept up on me. You really have to actually look for it to find excitment for Xbox Series.

I'm interesed to see sales figures, but I'm just expecting very generic "greater than 1 million sold" statements that don't tell us anything except its at least matching last gen launch.
Hype seems to be all for PS5. I guess games matter lol

kitler53

as i said before,.. i fully expect xbox to be sold out though december.  i don't think we'll really know demand until the late january to feburary time period but i'm really expecting demand to go soft (relative to ps5).   too few games.  too small of an upgrade.  too many alternatives to play their games (stay on last gen, move to PC).  

...or i'm wrong.  in this covid economy it seems like every console shipped is a console sold. 

Dr. Pezus

It begins

DMC5SE is also worse on XSS beyond the resolution (no ray tracing)

kitler53

..snip..

It begins

DMC5SE is also worse on XSS beyond the resolution (no ray tracing)
yeah, true.  but wii and switch sold tons while being much more substantially worse than this.  there still may be a market for this low spec'd system.   

even with ps5 i'm going to play around with the fidelity modes and performance modes.   ...but my early expectations are:
 - i can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps
 - i can't tell the difference between ray tracing on or off

i think i'll find ps5 games play and look fantastic in either mode and that i just can't tell the difference between them without a DF video to show me the metrics..

Legend

i can't tell the difference between ray tracing on or off
Ray traced illumination and shadows are kinda hard to tell if the game already looks great, but ray traced reflections are really apparent when you're playing the game yourself. Might not be worth the cost, but they certainly look different.

kitler53

Ray traced illumination and shadows are kinda hard to tell if the game already looks great, but ray traced reflections are really apparent when you're playing the game yourself. Might not be worth the cost, but they certainly look different.
if i stop to admire reflections.   if i'm just "web slinging" though a city would i really notice the difference in the sky scrapers that I am moving quickly past?

i'm not saying it isn't a thing but i do feel like i won't appreciate it much.   honestly the best part of ray-tracing as far as i can tell is it might speed up development as it is more "simulation" like instead of tons of hand crafting.  ...or i'm wrong.

Dr. Pezus

yeah, true.  but wii and switch sold tons while being much more substantially worse than this.  there still may be a market for this low spec'd system.  

even with ps5 i'm going to play around with the fidelity modes and performance modes.   ...but my early expectations are:
 - i can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps
 - i can't tell the difference between ray tracing on or off

i think i'll find ps5 games play and look fantastic in either mode and that i just can't tell the difference between them without a DF video to show me the metrics..
Yeah but for now you'd be better off keeping the XB1/XB1X than buying an XSS since you get the same games with minimal upgrades

kitler53

Yeah but for now you'd be better off keeping the XB1/XB1X than buying an XSS since you get the same games with minimal upgrades
i'm not sure if i'd say the reduction in load times is "minimal upgrade".   for a guy like me that's really, really awesome.   like legend said, if you are planning to buy before the first price drop there is really no reason not to pick it up early since you're not just waiting for So-and-So game to release but can use is while whittling down your last gen backlog.  

it's a very different dynamic than last gen's transition so who knows what's going to happen.

Legend

if i stop to admire reflections.   if i'm just "web slinging" though a city would i really notice the difference in the sky scrapers that I am moving quickly past?

i'm not saying it isn't a thing but i do feel like i won't appreciate it much.   honestly the best part of ray-tracing as far as i can tell is it might speed up development as it is more "simulation" like instead of tons of hand crafting.  ...or i'm wrong.

I'd compare it to this effect from Spiderman on PS4. It's very noticeable at all times even if it's relatively minor. The difference of course is that this room effect uses an extremely cheap shader calculation while raytraced reflections are very expensive.

Ray tracing is definitely nicer but it has its own unique development costs. Right now at least for me, it's extra work to do ray tracing since you still need traditional methods as backups.

Legend

Mine has yet to ship... (I think I'll be fine)

If this is affecting a large amount of people, this is a large screw up. Obviously Microsoft/Amazon shouldn't have sold systems they couldn't deliver, and it would have been nicer if people learned this weeks ago instead of the day before launch. Hopefully the time estimate is extremely conservative and people still get them soon.

the-pi-guy

Should I be worried?!  

:'(

Legend

Should I be worried?!  

:'(
Well did you order a series x?  :P

Haven't heard anything about PS5 being oversold.

the-pi-guy

Well did you order a series x?  :P

Haven't heard anything about PS5 being oversold.
No, but it's only a matter of time!  We'll find out in 2 days at this rate!  

Go Up