Prediction: Sony to buy Bungie

Started by BananaKing, Aug 24, 2019, 11:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

BananaKing

Calling it right now. They will buy Bungie.

Bungie FPS, sci fi multiplayer centric games would fill a hole in WWS's offerings. They would have a FPS game and a GaaS game alongside GT and MLB.

the-pi-guy

That would be the ultimate troll.  

Don't think it's going to happen.  Seems like it's probably too big for a purchase.  

Legend

Didn't you make the same thread 4 years ago? I think Bungie wants to be solo.

kitler53

i would love it for the internet meltdown. 

but sony couldn't force destiny to be exclusive,.. it wouldn't sell more consoles but it would anger a lot of gamers who already own it.   so they'd need to start another new franchise.   that would be a good thing to me as i've grown tired of destiny but it would hurt the value proposition of the aquisition. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

China us involved with Bungie now.  It won't happen

the-pi-guy

Didn't you make the same thread 4 years ago? I think Bungie wants to be solo.
I only see him predicting that Destiny was going to be at every big show.  

Legend

Aw yeah guess that's what I was thinking of. Good find.

BananaKing

And I was right!!

No.. wait... I wasnt...

DerNebel

First of all no they won't and I think it's sad that even here people are now talking about acquisitions like that, like they are a good thing.

Secondly I hate the "they need X because it would fill a hole in their lineup"-mentality, this idea of feeling the need to cover every base, leads to nothing but mediocrity. Game companies should play to their strengths and think of what they can actually add to certain genres when making games instead of going "Ok, we need a fighting game, a racing game, a FPS, RPG, Jump & Run, Strategy, etc.".

For instance I think it would be great if Sony started exploring JRPG's again, on the one hand because, yes I'm biased towards those, but also because they are one of very few companies out there, that could realistically deliver a AAA JRPG alternative to Square Enix's games as those are not only increasingly rare but can also be pretty hit or miss.

But what could Sony really add to Bungie? I struggle to think of something here.

BananaKing

First of all no they won't and I think it's sad that even here people are now talking about acquisitions like that, like they are a good thing.

Secondly I hate the "they need X because it would fill a hole in their lineup"-mentality, this idea of feeling the need to cover every base, leads to nothing but mediocrity. Game companies should play to their strengths and think of what they can actually add to certain genres when making games instead of going "Ok, we need a fighting game, a racing game, a FPS, RPG, Jump & Run, Strategy, etc.".

For instance I think it would be great if Sony started exploring JRPG's again, on the one hand because, yes I'm biased towards those, but also because they are one of very few companies out there, that could realistically deliver a AAA JRPG alternative to Square Enix's games as those are not only increasingly rare but can also be pretty hit or miss.

But what could Sony really add to Bungie? I struggle to think of something here.
They would add gloating rights to my arsenal.

I didn't say they need to cover every base. But they would fit in nicely with their first party lineup, and add something unique

I didnt say that these acquisition are "good". I just predict this will happen. Like how I predicted the last guardian will score 72 or lower on meta once.

While WWS did a good job this gen, I still feel they need to grow still and continue to develop. Saying they cant improve or grow is absurd.

the-pi-guy

Well it's tricky.  There are definitely some bad aspects of acquisition (exclusivity, and the fanboyism that goes with that), potentially less creative freedom.

But there are benefits to acquisitions.  Can mean more guaranteed funding for the studio, the studio would get access to the main company's pipeline so they should be able to make better games.  

So I wouldn't say it's a wholly bad thing.

I find this problematic to think that Sony has some inherent strengths and weaknesses that can't be filled in.
Sticking with that kind of thinking would have meant something like Horizon would have never happened, because it's so different from anything they make.  

I think Sony does great because they have a more well rounded experience than MS/Nintendo.  And I think it's important that they continue to strive for that.  

DerNebel

Aug 30, 2019, 08:21 PM Last Edit: Aug 30, 2019, 08:44 PM by DerNebel
They would add gloating rights to my arsenal.

I didn't say they need to cover every base. But they would fit in nicely with their first party lineup, and add something unique

I didnt say that these acquisition are "good". I just predict this will happen. Like how I predicted the last guardian will score 72 or lower on meta once.

While WWS did a good job this gen, I still feel they need to grow still and continue to develop. Saying they cant improve or grow is absurd.
bolded: ...well, nobody said that.

Also yes you didn't say they'd have to cover every base, however the "fill a hole" argument essentially comes from the same place of thinking some type of game has to be added to a companies lineup, solely because that type of game is missing.

Well it's tricky.  There are definitely some bad aspects of acquisition (exclusivity, and the fanboyism that goes with that), potentially less creative freedom.

But there are benefits to acquisitions.  Can mean more guaranteed funding for the studio, the studio would get access to the main company's pipeline so they should be able to make better games.  

So I wouldn't say it's a wholly bad thing.
I find this problematic to think that Sony has some inherent strengths and weaknesses that can't be filled in.
Sticking with that kind of thinking would have meant something like Horizon would have never happened, because it's so different from anything they make.  

I think Sony does great because they have a more well rounded experience than MS/Nintendo.  And I think it's important that they continue to strive for that.  

Who said anything about them not filling in weaknesses? I'm talking about treating gaming lineups from companies like check lists where certain genres just have to be covered. Horizon came about because that was what that studio wanted to do, it wasn't because Guerrilla or Sony thought "we need a first party action RPG".

It is that idea, that I have a problem with. This thinking of "they should get a FPS studio/do an FPS, because that's a hole in their lineup" (you can change the genre here to whatever you want). If they find an idea or studio that they really want to do/work well with, then of course that's good, but imo the starting point for what games are being made/studios are being integrated into their first party, should never be "what genres are we missing".

PS3 era Sony displayed a lot of that mentality of wanting to cover as many genres as possible and it led to many commercial failures or at least unnoteworthy sales. Things like PSASBR, the abundance of attempted multiplayer shooters that didn't stick, the Move controllers, Multiplayer in GoW Ascension and I'm sure there's more. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  

the-pi-guy

Who said anything about them not filling in weaknesses? I'm talking about treating gaming lineups from companies like check lists where certain genres just have to be covered. Horizon came about because that was what that studio wanted to do, it wasn't because Guerrilla or Sony thought "we need a first party action RPG".
>I'm talking about treating gaming lineups from companies like check lists where certain genres just have to be covered

And I'm talking about how not having a variety of experiences is a weakness.  

It is that idea, that I have a problem with. This thinking of "they should get a FPS studio/do an FPS, because that's a hole in their lineup" (you can change the genre here to whatever you want). If they find an idea or studio that they really want to do/work well with, then of course that's good, but imo the starting point for what games are being made/studios are being integrated into their first party, should never be "what genres are we missing".
I don't think he's saying solely, "Sony should buy Bungie because we need an FPS studio!"

PS3 era Sony displayed a lot of that mentality of wanting to cover as many genres as possible and it led to many commercial failures or at least unnoteworthy sales. Things like PSASBR, the abundance of attempted multiplayer shooters that didn't stick, the Move controllers, Multiplayer in GoW Ascension and I'm sure there's more. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  
>Things like PSASBR

Which was awesome.  It definitely needed to expand on what they did with it, but I'm glad they did do that.

It's kind of the opposite of what Sony would be doing here.  They'd be buying a major studio, not just fulfilling a checklist by handing a project over to whoever happens to be free at the time.  

None of this means that I think Sony will do it.  

DerNebel

And I'm talking about how not having a variety of experiences is a weakness.  
Well they have a variety of experiences, not covering every single type of experience doesn't mean they don't have variety.

A lack of focus brought by wanting to do too many different things is also a weakness.

I don't think he's saying solely, "Sony should buy Bungie because we need an FPS studio!"
The OP sure reads like that would be the reason Sony would pick them up.

Which was awesome.  It definitely needed to expand on what they did with it, but I'm glad they did do that.
Which was undercooked, mocked from day one, and just flopped.

I mean the idea on paper is great, but clearly they didn't give enough of a shame/didn't have the skill to actually make it something proper, so it just turned into kind of a joke.

Legend